IGNORED

help with xu1541 and reading/writing disks

so just built a new old pc to run win xp on for using my older willem eprom programer (like it better than the new usb based one i have)

and decided to finally hook up my xu1541 and try and read/ write some disks (tired of having to transfer stuff to my sd2 and then write it )

i used these directions here

http://spiro.trikaliotis.net/opencbm-0.4.99.98/opencbm-8.html

and have installed gui4cbm

i load up the software and no matter what i do in the software

on screen i get a window with black/red flashing box saying reading drive status

and a solid red light (as well as the normal blue light ) on the xu1541 itself

tried this on 4 drives so far (3 1541 , 1 1541 II ) and not getting any drive movment at all

any ideas

ps lol an athlon 64 6000+mixed with 4 gigs ddr2 and a 250 gb solid state drive equals windows xp booting before my tv can even detect the input signal lol

Oh, man, I had a helluva time getting mine to work on XP x64, then Windows 7 x64. There is an opencbm installation package you need to use, then you have to go into the CBMXfer directory and run cbminst.exe to tell it what driver to actually use.

If you try to run one of the commands on the command line now it is likely to tell you it does not have or know what driver it needs. Also, you need to make sure you are running this as an administrator. ISTR that is not a problem in Windows XP.

I believe the command you will want is cbminst.exe xu1541

Oh, man, I had a helluva time getting mine to work on XP x64, then Windows 7 x64. There is an opencbm installation package you need to use, then you have to go into the CBMXfer directory and run cbminst.exe to tell it what driver to actually use.

If you try to run one of the commands on the command line now it is likely to tell you it does not have or know what driver it needs. Also, you need to make sure you are running this as an administrator. ISTR that is not a problem in Windows XP.

I believe the command you will want is cbminst.exe xu1541

I'm actually using x32 win xp because I tried on my win 10 machine with no luck

and since I read most of the problems are with x64 (and wanted to start using my willem eprom programmer again) I wen ahead and threw this machine together from spares I had in my parts bins (is it bad that I have more than 10 p4 or newer mobo In my parts bin lol )

I have run cbminstxu1541

but it seems to find the xu1541 but does not access the drive

OH! One HUGE thing that just bit me recently: do not use a USB hub. Make sure your XU1541 is plugged into a root USB port (directly on the controller or motherboard.) Check in the Device Manager to see if it is detected, or use something like USBView to find it and make sure it is properly detected.

OH! One HUGE thing that just bit me recently: do not use a USB hub. Make sure your XU1541 is plugged into a root USB port (directly on the controller or motherboard.) Check in the Device Manager to see if it is detected, or use something like USBView to find it and make sure it is properly detected.

yea I had done a search before posting and didn't find much helpful info

I'm hooked direct into the mobo usb ports

but did install a pci usb cart also might try one of those ports

its just strange because the xu1541 is seen in device manager

and even in cmd it will light the red status light

and hang on accessing the drive

so I don't know if its a driver problem or if its a problem with a bad xu1541 (this one came from ebay and was the only one seller had)

I'm using a modified version of xp that's tweaked to be fast and I'm having some problems with installing vb (to try and run cbmtransfer)

and have some errors trying to run sd formatter

so I might try a fresh clean xp install

ok after jacking around a ton more

I'm stuck

do I need a special xover cable as well as the xu1541

my pc can see the xu1541 and I can send the cbmctrl status 8 to the xu1541 but it does not see the drive and I get a error

99, driver error,00,00

I get this same error on the 32 bit windows xp machine

as well as my win 10 machine

Edited by discgolfer72