IGNORED

The end of Toki, Rampart and Pitfighter

DracIsBack

While I was looking on the web for some Atari Corp headquarter photos, I accidentally came across this. Strange that Toki was nearly done yet the monies were applied to the other two

Source: https://assemblergames.com/threads/atari-7800-toki-imagitec-design-atari-corp-files.66320/

post-1046-0-27036200-1517863746.jpg

Edited by DracIsBack
  • Like 2

Those are from the Zip files Scott Stilphen kindly passed onto myself and i converted to JPEG format, for the likes of Assembler forum, Atarimania etc.

I put them up, hoping more info might come to light, as until i had seen them, i had no idea Imagitec Design were involved with a version of Toki for the 7800..

They never seem to mention it, just Rampart and Pitfighter.

Those were all the documents related to these games and Electrocop that were in there.

There were an awful lot of Lynx documents..these have been passed onto Atarimania, as they are in the process of building a dedicated Lynx section.

Thanks again to Scott for sharing the files and glad folks like them..

Made it worth while converting and posting them up.

• Like 1

So no issue if we post some of the salient Atari ones in the forums here?

Please do..

Lost Games research is a community affair.

If it wasn't for the kindness of Scott Stilphen, Luca from Unseen64 and Frank Gasking on GTW and people on here, i would never of been able to find a fraction of the people or information that has been found.

The more people who see the documents, the more chance we have of fresh information coming forward.

I thought the graphics surfaced a few years ago?

They did...

Amy Hemming also talked about it here:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2010/12/02/storytellers-of-the-decade_3a00_-amy-henning-interview.aspx

Further attempts to contact her were made (not by myself) but she never replied.

Julie Wade was also supposed to of had a couple of test carts in a drawer which Jack Tramiel ordered destroyed, but she didn't do after Jack did the dirty on her..or so the story went.

• Like 1

If I was at the store when all 3 of these games could have been on the shelf at the same time for the 7800 I would have bought Toki before Pit Fighter or Rampart. It's like they said no to 1 great game and invested the money and time into 2 lesser games instead. At the end of the day we didn't see any of them make it to the store. Silly Atari. Well at least we have the tech demo for Rampart, playable demo of Pit Fighter and soon to have a full version of Toki.

• Like 1

It's amazing and unfortunate how cheap Atari was at the time. $10k is peanuts.

If they would have spent a little here and there on some serious development of software, the 7800, the Lynx could have fared so much better. It would have only taken a few titles that were truly special.

We can still do it though. Heck, Atari should do it. The press coverage alone would pay for the development cost for 8 bit software. It would generate buzz (like "the New 8 bit Heroes").

Then they could release a "7800 mini" with a bunch of built in killer 8 bit apps.

Just my dream.

• Like 1

It's amazing and unfortunate how cheap Atari was at the time. $10k is peanuts.

If they would have spent a little here and there on some serious development of software, the 7800, the Lynx could have fared so much better. It would have only taken a few titles that were truly special.

We can still do it though. Heck, Atari should do it. The press coverage alone would pay for the development cost for 8 bit software. It would generate buzz (like "the New 8 bit Heroes").

Then they could release a "7800 mini" with a bunch of built in killer 8 bit apps.

Just my dream.

All rendered?

If I was at the store when all 3 of these games could have been on the shelf at the same time for the 7800 I would have bought Toki before Pit Fighter or Rampart. It's like they said no to 1 great game and invested the money and time into 2 lesser games instead. At the end of the day we didn't see any of them make it to the store. Silly Atari. Well at least we have the tech demo for Rampart, playable demo of Pit Fighter and soon to have a full version of Toki.

C'mon, Rampart is an amazing game. Pit Fighter, though...ugh.

Just my dream.

Unfortunately, most people don't even know what a 7800 is. Also, Atari does not presently have a particularly large library of 7800 games available.

• Like 2