IGNORED

Playstation 2 Drive emulation?

Didn't see a posting area in modern or classic gaming so decided here would work. I have a few PS2 consoles sitting around with bad optical drives and started poking around on the net for a emulated optical drive replacement that uses sd cards or usb drives. Found PS3 and original Playstation drives but so far nothing with the PS2. Anyone else see or hear anything on this front? Also if this is in the wrong area please point me in the right direction...... Thanks

The Free McBoot application can run off a memory card and lets you run from fat and slim consoles.

It's mostly for booting games from a hard drive, but it looks like you can boot from a flash drive as well. (I use Free McBoot but haven't messed with running games off USB)

All you need is for someone to install Free McBoot on a memory card you own (or buy one that someone has preloaded with it).

I love my ps2 with freehdboot

I dumped all my games onto it and never looked back

the nice thing is they have these now

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SATA-Network-Interface-HDD-Adapter-Hard-Disk-FOR-Sony-PS2-Playstation-2-US/202025983545?hash=item2f09afde39:g:GMAAAOSwf-xZl7TK

so you can use a sata drive up to 2 tb (up to 1tb without special versions of the software)

I just shot a capture for you on how it works (for some reason my capture card was only getting 4:3 even tho I'm on component and it shows wide screen on my tv)

https://youtu.be/jht27fOzQ50

as stated you can also do the same thing using freemcboot on a memory card and using a external usb hard drive or flash drive

but for me I like the internal sata hdd and I actually have mine set to boot right into opl (for the vid I had to hold r on boot to start into the ps2 menu first )

post-63035-0-01197000-1518114948_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

As someone who has only used Free McBoot, is there any major benefit to HDBoot that should bring me over?

I would like if it directly booted into the OPL, but I can't say that would justify me redoing my entire setup for it. :lol:

I always just used free mcboot and an external usb hdd (still use that setup on my psx-desr)

but now with the ability to use a sata drive its just better all around

1 you get faster data access

2 I have 4 kids, 2 are under 3. and having an external drive hanging off my ps2 was scary they always wanted to grab it and end up yanking the whole system off the shelf (and I really just like the streamlined no extra crud hanging around ) ,I'm just glad my psx desr that I still have a usb drive/fcmb setup is high enough the kiddies cant reah it

3 with a 500gb internal drive you can pretty much fit every worth while game right inside your system(I went overboard with 2 tb and will never fill it )

4 no more futzing with having the right memory card in your ps2 since it will boot right from the hdd (and with opls memory card emulator there is really no need at all to have a memory card )

the down side is

using the sata network adapter you are required to open up the machine and plug the hdd into your pc to add/remove games (the original ide interface you can do everything over the network , the sata ones do not have network hardware)

ps you can have the system boot direct into opl with an external usb hdd u just have to change the boot options in fmcboot configurator

really either way works the same and if your all setup with fcmb and an external drive its probably not worth changing

but it is a much cleaner setup and with ata options probably a more reliable setup that futzing with memory cards and usb

post-63035-0-08377500-1518124061_thumb.jpg

Edited by discgolfer72

I always just used free mcboot and an external usb hdd (still use that setup on my psx-desr)

but now with the ability to use a sata drive its just better all around

*snip*

ps you can have the system boot direct into opl with an external usb hdd u just have to change the boot options in fmcboot configurator

Thanks for that info!

I might go ahead and invest in that setup for a second PS2 I have. This will give me a bit more options and I can test them to decide which setup I like more.

Last time I looked around at soft mods for the ps2 it seemed to me that the original optical was still needed. I took a look at some tutorials on newest methods so I may take a wack at it soon. I just so happened to find an original hard drive, network adapter local so I can try my hand at it. Need a nice big 2 tb drive for all my games.