IGNORED

Barnstorming (no windmills) best time isn't 32.07! - 32.05

keebz

If there is such thing a hack world record... I JUST SET IT!

In 2002 someone removed all the windmills to see what the best possible time would be if you just flew straight. It was confirmed that it was 32.07 "absolutely impossible to beat"

I have been testing this because I really like the game and something has always been off about how no one really knows what works against your time.

So I was experimenting with the no windmills hack and different locations. Thinking, if the "pixel movement works against you" theory was correct, then flying straight couldn't be beaten... turns out that is completely wrong!

Indeed, if you just punch the gas and fly straight you will get 32.07 every time BUT I just beat it.

I flew close to the roof with consistent power and just broke the previously held fastest possible time with 32.05!

I don't know what this means for the game theory, but it confirms the clocks are not consistent OR pixel movement don't always work against you.

I can't find anywhere a time lower than 32.07... can someone help me confirm this?

post-48679-0-78527400-1518508931_thumb.jpg

BarnStorming32_05_Sm.mp4

Edited by keebz
  • Like 1

Hi there,

Thinking, if the "pixel movement works against you" theory was correct...

I can definitely say this is not a theory. Barnstorming and Grand Prix are very similar. Your speed is reduced by ~6% for moving vertically which is similar to Grand Prix.

Not sure how the time would be different for you. I didn't see the speed being reduced for flying on the ground.

Hi there,

I can definitely say this is not a theory. Barnstorming and Grand Prix are very similar. Your speed is reduced by ~6% for moving vertically which is similar to Grand Prix.

Not sure how the time would be different for you. I didn't see the speed being reduced for flying on the ground.

Well sure, that's kind of what I meant. Moving vertically should reduce your speed and thus your time. Call it moving vertically or moving pixels... I think we mean the same thing.

However, if you watch the attached video, you'll see how high off the ground I was towards the end. I was taking video at different movement positions to see how it changed the speed/time when this happened. That's how I ended up with the video at all. By everything I can tell, I should not have been able to get that far off the ground and still get a 32.07 let alone a 3.05.

To clarify, I have NEVER gotten anything but a 3.07 on a hardware play by staying on the ground. BUT also, if you stay on the ground and hold down (causing no vertical movement) your speed still drops significantly. So actual movement isn't the only factor as well.

Still experimenting.

Thomas achieved a 32.05 at some point using his Barnstorming hack described in the old forum thread.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/10989-barnstorming-game-1-3204-what-the/page-9?hl=%2Bbarnstorming+%2Bno+%2Bwindmills&do=findComment&comment=110625

I'm really interested in understanding how he achieved it. Flying straight doesn't seem to get a .05 it always yields a .07 BUT I can consistently get a .05 flying off the ground. It's just really weird.

Hi there,

Can you post a rom so that we may try what you're trying? The 16 year old link in the other thread isn't doing too well!

I just posted my disassembly of Barnstorming. I added assembler switches to make easy to build with or without Windmills or Geese.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/275620-barnstorming-disassembly/