IGNORED

HSC Season 15 Round 3: "The HSSki Winter Olympics"

therealbountybob

Hmmm,

how about:

1) (Ariola) Ski-Weltcup, also known as Ski King / Ski King 2 or Ski Construction Set ? Here you can practice Downhill Ski and/or Slalom. ATR available at Fandal as Ski Construction and at Atarimania under its original (commercial) name Ski-Weltcup. In various PD collections and libraries you can also find it as Ski King. Think one of the many courses would be enough...

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=4404

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-ski-weltcup_6932.html

2) Super Ski by AMC-Verlag ? Originally this came with 3D-glasses (red-green) and one can press Select or Option to turn the 3D effect on/off. It also originally required a Multipad or Powerpad which was a combo of Joystick + Paddle. But thanks to Homesoft the patched version can be played with paddle only. (In the original game one had to press the joystick fire button to start the game, in the patched version it is the paddle trigger; in both the original and the patched version one has to press joystick up/down to speed up / accelerate or to slow down / brake - which is not possible with paddles only, but the game is fully playable without this option.) The game has five courses if I remember correctly...

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=4330

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-superski_12145.html

Both mentioned games were sold commercially and Superski was not a prototype (as mentioned at atarimania), it was the full + final version.

------------------

Here are some pictures of my olympic games collection, I do not own Mogul Maniac and with a rarity of 9 at atarimania and knowing it is a Romox cart from the ESD Romox terminal, I am quite sure I will never get an original of this. I do also own Superski by AMC-Verlag but forgot to take a photo, so use the one from atarimania. Some of the disks are copy-protected, e.g. Winter Events by Anco and Winter Challenge by Thunder Mountain. If you encounter errors while playing this could be due to a wrong OS used (try XL-OS Rev. 2) or due to missing copy-protection (a bad crack). I do not remember that Anco's Winter Events did have so many bugs, so I have to try it again in the next days and see if it is true or if these bugs do only happen on a pirated copy. Will post my awfully low scores in the next days...

post-3782-0-00894300-1519685889.jpg

Olympic Skier, copied from tape to disk with Howfen Tape-to-Disk program

post-3782-0-82494200-1519685927.jpg

Ski-Weltcup by Ariola, compare it to Ski Construction and Ski King (2)...

post-3782-0-00943600-1519685985.jpg

Winter Challenge by Thunder Mountain, it is copy-protected, the Tynesoft version was not!

post-3782-0-12725700-1519686038.jpg

Winter Events by Anco - do not remember that it was soo bad and full of bugs (but always played alone / with 1 player only so maybe that is why...)

post-3782-0-75084600-1519686127_thumb.jpg

Winter Olympiad 88 by Tynesoft, the label looks like a selfmade one and is upside-down!

post-3782-0-91279500-1519686164.jpg

Winter Olympics "32k" by Tynesoft, the 32k RAM explains why it is so simple/cheap; copied it from tape to disk with Howfen's Tape-To-Disk program (there is also a commercial disk available, but the tape was less expensive, so I grabbed this)

Of course I also have the manuals and packages for these games, but was too lazy to search for them. I think to remember that "White Circus" had very good / great gfx, but not very good controls. Have to test it again to see if I remember this correctly. (If we ever play summer olympics we must also play the PD versions Atari Olympics, Trackstar and Olympia to torture the players...)

• Like 2

Hi CC,

nice info and great to see the pictures :thumbsup: I avoided all the straight skiing games for this round, we have enough to go on. I had been checking them out again but nothing was that great. I even put my 3d glasses on for that one but couldn't control that one at all :twisted:

I am working on my abbuc game "Ski-It" for this year's compo so have been getting some ideas, I think my game already is more playable than most of these, though my graphics will be fairly basic. If only I can get the blooming thing running properly - I have lots to do and some nasty bugs lurking!! It's assembling again on the Atari as I type here :)

We've had a few of the other sports rounds but yes there are still a few unplayed and a few that will be on the punishment list :-D

Winter Events (Anco)

Speed Skating 1:09:xx

Slalom 1:04:36

Ski Jump 79.6

Bobsled falure

Biathlon 3:15:14

I'll admit I haven't downloaded the instructions so I might be playing this one the wrong way. Generally it is very uneven in graphics and playability. Speed Skating and Slalom nice, although Slalom reminds me more about Space Harrier than a traditional slalom game. The Biathlon looks like Anco tried really hard to copy what Epyx achieved three years earlier, but gave up halfways. You select a country, but frankly I can't remember if it plays the national anthem after each event? Also it doesn't show the winning score at the end of the event, which is a big minus! This game seems to exist for at least the Atari 8-bit, Commodore 16 and MSX, though not the C64 where it probably didn't have a market. I'll be a bit harsh here and rate it 5/10.

Well,

tried the original Anco disk again, first time with option set to two players (and me playing both players). You can choose countries with the Select key and when you have finished typing in your name the anthem gets played. You are not shown your scores or times after each event, only if you reached gold, silver or maybe bronze and errmm, the anthem is not played again. In fact your flag is not shown and your nationality is not mentioned anymore throughout the whole game, so they could have done without flags and anthems - why choose it at the beginning, when you do not need it anymore ?!?

It is sad that the scores and times are not shown, but I do not miss the anthem that much - I really hated this in Summer Games (always having to change the disk to play the anthem). Besides, there were many olympic games with wrong flags (especially Germany often had a wrong flag!) or wrong anthems, maybe that is why they did not give much for flags/nationalities and anthems at Anco ?!? They inform you about a new world record though and save it to disk (on diskside A), but again without showing the scores or times...

In Biathlon they start with the usual left-right movement and suddenly change to up-down movement, not such a great idea (my cheating controller, the Track and Field controller does not like this). Then the game ends with "Final Placings" where they show the names of first to fourth place with its name, but nothing more (number of medals, etc.). So yes, the game is a bit too "short" and not very well made. Think at atarimania you wrote that they also give false places and medals, this has not happened to me in the 2-player version I think. But since they do not show the scores or times after each event, maybe I did not notice it ? Have to test it with one or more friends that will write down the times/scores while I am playing and verify if everything is correct...

Last not least, I finished the Bobsled (my favourite event here), but have much worse times or scores in all other events than you have... need more training/practice...

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 2

Think at atarimania you wrote that they also give false places and medals, this has not happened to me in the 2-player version I think. But since they do not show the scores or times after each event, maybe I did not notice it ? Have to test it with one or more friends that will write down the times/scores while I am playing and verify if everything is correct...

Perhaps the ATR version at Atarimania/Fandal/whereever is a cracked version with bugs introduced, and the original disk plays better? I tried a 4 player game and noticed both that nobody was awarded 2nd place as well as that the same player was awarded all medals.

Personally I always enjoyed the national anthems, as it made Summer Games, Winter Games etc stand out just like they had opening ceremony, and in the case of Summer Games II also closing ceremony. I'll admit I haven't played Summer Games on the Atari 8-bit so I don't know how much of disk swaps it requires but the C64 version only seems to require disk swaps in case of world records. Perhaps the capacity per disk side is greater on the Commodore so they managed to duplicate the required data on each disk side. I wonder if Anco, Tynesoft and others would have considered an opening ceremony in their games if not Epyx already had not set the standard.

A bit embarrasing that it took 4+ years for Epyx to realize that the L'International no longer was the national anthem for the Soviet Union and that they never figured out which is the correct national anthem for Australia. While the choice of countries is reasonably OK for Summer Games, it had been worthwhile to rehaul it for Winter Games - replace at least Brazil and Mexico, perhaps even Denmark, Ireland and Spain, with countries like Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, and fix the anthems for Soviet Union and Australia early on. However I understand that Bob Vieira (Summer Games II) and David Thiel (Winter Games) simply inherited the pack of anthems and flags, perhaps in a format that wasn't easily editable so they just included it as it was and not until The Games '88, Chris Grigg et. al reworked it from ground up.

• Like 1

Perhaps the ATR version at Atarimania/Fandal/whereever is a cracked version with bugs introduced, and the original disk plays better? I tried a 4 player game and noticed both that nobody was awarded 2nd place as well as that the same player was awarded all medals.

Personally I always enjoyed the national anthems, as it made Summer Games, Winter Games etc stand out just like they had opening ceremony, and in the case of Summer Games II also closing ceremony. I'll admit I haven't played Summer Games on the Atari 8-bit so I don't know how much of disk swaps it requires but the C64 version only seems to require disk swaps in case of world records. Perhaps the capacity per disk side is greater on the Commodore so they managed to duplicate the required data on each disk side. I wonder if Anco, Tynesoft and others would have considered an opening ceremony in their games if not Epyx already had not set the standard.

Afaik, the C64 has 170k per diskside (standard back then and I guess even nowadays), the A8 has 90k per single density diskside (standard back then, not nescessarily nowadays)... so one C64 diskside required two A8 disksides. Thats why I always say the Atari 810 in 1979 or at least the Atari 1050 in 1983 should have been a true DD/180k disk drive for less disk swaps and much more space for data...

Luckily, on the A8 Summer Games is also available as a re-released game on cart., so no disk swaps there (but therefore a max. of 3 players)...

My highscore for Olympic Skier was 145 points yesterday - man do I suck at this game !

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 2

Regarding the question mark: My score on Winter Olympics (Tynesoft) was 5550 points.

So I was 2.3 seconds faster than you on the speed skating, but 1.9 seconds slower on the ski-slalom. Both of us failed the ski jump and downhill, and you were at least 22 seconds faster on the cresta run (bobsled). Yet my total score was 650 points higher, or perhaps that game starts at 10000 and the best score you can obtain is 0? Perhaps it would be worth playing once more to be sure...

Hmmm,

in "Olympic Skier" I always crash-land my player in the Ski Jump event (allthough I do press up to jump and press down to land)...?!? The manual of my original tape is a little confusing saying 1) Ski Jump: Accelerate by pressing the fire button or space bar rapidly whilst your skier is on the 45% ramp. 2) Controls: Ski Jump - Waggle the joystick (fast left-right movement ?) to accelerate on the 45% slope. Now, which of them is true ? Tried both and did not notice that I accelerated my ski jumper...

I waggle the joystick up / down to gain speed, hold the joystick in upwards position to stay in the air, pull down to align skis with the angle of the land. If your skis are in the wrong angle, it will be a crash landing.

I think the instructions may refer to the Plus/4 or C64 versions, and thus are not proof read for the Atari version.

I didn't catch McKong, but at least I strengthened my position in Olympic Skier. I think my theoretic max is a little over 400 points unless I get even further into the downhill and somehow manage to increase my speed without crashing.

Edit: I went from 393 to 427 pts in the next run, so perhaps I haven't quite maxed out yet...

Olympic Skier - 427 pts

post-5454-0-52558600-1519948828.jpg

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

For the Olympic Skier waggle l/r like crazy THEN push up and hold it up at the end of the slope. When in the air (keep it up - might not need to do this) and then pull down to land as late as you can - adjust the skis' angle to match the slope - you should be able to get to the flat bit if you are fast enough!

TABLES UPDATED

Votes please for the next round POLL OPEN !

Hm, do you really waggle left/right instead of up/down or does any kind of waggle work? At first I tried waggling left/right but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. I'll try again.

Edit: For me, it is complete failure wiggling left/right in the ski jump while wiggling up/down gains all the speed. Perhaps we're playing different versions or simply rotate joysticks differently?

Olympic Skier - 438 pts (only 5 points left to climb into 3rd place on this game)

post-5454-0-88549500-1519997982.jpg

Edited by carlsson

Left right does it for me! Sometimes I double push up to take off to get him standing properly. Had 163 on the slalom missing one gate - faster and missing is better than taking it slow, plus 159 on the jump but I lost the plot on the downhill several times - got a mental block on this now!!

Played Winter Olympics again - still can't take off on the bloody ski jump and still failed on the downhill though I think I was too careless. Locked up before the Cresta Run but I had a score of 6250 by this point, you get 50pts per tree "gate" passed on the downhill on each of your 3 attempts.

Speed Skating 31:00 (starts immediately after message screen)

Slalom 01:29:40

Ski Jump -

Downhill -

Cresta Run 1:37:70 (long taps on stick to keep from top edge)

Mogul Maniac gets the system pumping...

Play all the tracks apart from Bunny Hill. Combined times for both runs. Play with Moguls on and DQ off.

1 Snowmass 2:40:78

2 Aspen 2:43:30

3 Alta 2:47:40

4 Jackson Hole 2:36:16

5 Stowe 2:33:26

6 Mammoth 1:04:16

7 Powder Horn 0:58:80

8 Taos 1:04:68

Reminder this round ends Sunday night (4th) unless anyone wants more time - if so let me know!

• Like 1

The Olympic Skier XEX you posted at the start of the thread wouldn't run on my SIO2SD so I posted a different XEX I already got. I suppose the game otherwise is the same regarding scoring and difficulty, though it seems weird if one version is controlled with left - right and one is controlled with up - down. I probably should try both in Altirra to verify myself.

Edit: Well, colour me surprised! In Altirra (emulating a PAL 130XE), all of the PAL XEX from Fandal, the NTSC fixed XEX from Fandal and the XEX I uploaded work both with left/right and up/down in the ski jump, while I'm most definitely sure that on my PAL 130XE, only up/down works in the same event. Obviously left/right work in the giant slalom and downhill, otherwise I would crash right away.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Winter Olympics:

- Speed Skating: 45:10

thought I almost got you with 31:80, but alas, it was 1:31:80, so just a minute longer ;-)

- Slalom: 1:28:40

- Ski Jump: 48:33 (later 48:18)

- Downhill: 1:32:60

- Cresta Run: 2:28:10

total points: 8260

Hey this game was much better than I remembered it ! Better than Olympic Skier in my opinion and on par with Winter Events (gfx are better in Winter Events, especially in Bobsled vs. Cresta Run, but gameplay is better in Winter Olympics, which shows the scores). Alas, Winter Olympics is 1 player only (no problem for me, since I always play alone on the A8, but not good for group events or when you want to play with friends)...

post-3782-0-42890500-1520038368.jpg

post-3782-0-38602100-1520038378.jpg

post-3782-0-52702900-1520038388.jpg

• Like 1

Mogul Maniac
1. Snowmass 2:48.11
2. Aspen 2:47.10
3. Alta 2:51.76
4. Jackson Hole 2:32.32
5. Stowe 2:48.62
6. Mammoth 1:07.50
7. Powder Horn 1:10.66
8. Taos 1:09.98
Olympic Skier

Hmmm,

Dope = doping ?!? ;-) ;-) ;-)

Not allowed in any sports !

So beware to not be disqualified and be forced to give back all your medals and prizes ! ;-) ;-) ;-)

But maybe you can start for AOR (athletes of russia) and still be tested positive for doping...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

TABLES UPDATED

Votes please for the next round POLL OPEN !

Reminder this round ends Sunday night (4th) unless anyone wants more time - if so let me know!

Winter Olympics:

- Speed Skating: 45:10

thought I almost got you with 31:80, but alas, it was 1:31:80, so just a minute longer ;-)

- Slalom: 1:28:40

- Ski Jump: 48:33 (later 48:18)

- Downhill: 1:32:60

- Cresta Run: 2:28:10

total points: 8260

Hey this game was much better than I remembered it ! Better than Olympic Skier in my opinion and on par with Winter Events (gfx are better in Winter Events, especially in Bobsled vs. Cresta Run, but gameplay is better in Winter Olympics, which shows the scores). Alas, Winter Olympics is 1 player only (no problem for me, since I always play alone on the A8, but not good for group events or when you want to play with friends)...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Talking of enhanced performances how did you get the Ski Jump to take off in Winter Olympics, my guy just falls off the end?!!

I've got better question. How is it possibile that you are first on mammoth. :D

6 Mammoth (25 gates, 36 mph)

trbb 1:14:16

Dope 1:07:50

carlsson 1:07.52

graywest 1:12:81

RedThunder 1:42.80

Edited by Dope
  • Like 1

I've got better question. How is it possibile that you are first on mammoth. :D

6 Mammoth (25 gates, 36 mph)

trbb 1:14:16

Dope 1:07:50

carlsson 1:07.52

graywest 1:12:81

RedThunder 1:42.80

That is indeed a good question and the answer is my typing and 1:04:16 - and that is also why my assembler coding has so many bugs to find :-D if only that was all :-o

Had another bash on Winter Olympiad and made lots of improvements, not a bad game.

Winter Olympiad (Winter Challenge)

Downhill - 1:33:2 (use the radar for spotting logs)

Ski Jump 221

Biathlon 3:59:80

Giant Slalom 25:58

Bobsleigh 3:10:07 (seems going round and round fast on the stick is fastest)

Also on White Circus but the slalom is so frustrating I had one really quick run but crashed on the other go. Also played on 3 player so could have lots of goes without having to re-start but no luck.

White Circus

Ski Jump 205.65

Bobsleigh 66:16

Speed Skating 50:84

Downhill 64:62

Slalom 73.26

Mogul Maniac

Play all the tracks apart from Bunny Hill. Combined times for both runs. Play with Moguls on and DQ off.

1 Snowmass 2:40:00

2 Aspen 2:37:40

3 Alta 2:42:96

4 Jackson Hole 2:30:76

5 Stowe 2:33:26

6 Mammoth 1:04:16

7 Powder Horn 0:58:80

8 Taos 1:04:68