IGNORED

mouse

jjh76

I've got a PS2 to db9 mouse adapter that I use with my C64. If I stick this in my TI's controller port - with or without the Atari joystick adapter - will the TI be able to handle the input or will it short something?

Edited by jjh76

I've got a PS2 to db9 mouse adapter that I use with my C64. If I stick this in my TI's controller port - with or without the Atari joystick adapter - will the TI be able to handle the input or will it short something?

No this will not work without additional hardware and software. You won't short anything for sure though.

Mouse usage was not common nor needed on the TI, perhaps with the exception of drawing programs like TI Artist, and even then you could do just as well with a joystick.

Some attempts have been made at creating a GUI for the TI, but they got nowhere due to memory limitations. I would have loved a GEOS version for our platform though!

• Like 2

This TI Artist program, is it a cartridge that I can load up in the FinalGROM 99 I just ordered, or something that I can load off a cassette? (don't have a way to load disks yet)

The adapter has a button on it to switch between C64 mouse emulation and joystick emulation.

This TI Artist program, is it a cartridge that I can load up in the FinalGROM 99 I just ordered, or something that I can load off a cassette? (don't have a way to load disks yet)

The adapter has a button on it to switch between C64 mouse emulation and joystick emulation.

Arcadeshopper demonstrated using an adapter like that in joystick mode, with a powered Atari to TI adapter I made.

-M@

• Like 2

I got the Asgard mouse, but there's practically no software that uses it now... TI-Pei comes to mind. If I wrote software to use it, I imagine nobody BUT me could take advantage.

Writing software for ANY hardware these days that isn't the vanilla stuff is definitely a risk. I chose to start using the SAMS card because it was prevalent enough in architecture to support.

I'm less confident with the video upgrades, I think F18A will win out, it will be lovely to receive mine when the next batch is made.

• Like 1

To me it's fine to emulate anything that RI can use, and even make modern hardware that allows compatibility with original equipment. I"m a little worried about new hardware and software combinations that cannot be used on origial equipment. I see the interest there but it has the capability to fracture the user base.

Software sells hardware. This was proven by the Atari 2600, and has been true ever since. It is just the human way. Hardware does nothing without the software.

If, there were a game out there that used a Mouse as the only interface for input, and it required a Mechatronics mouse, and was a good piece of software, people would figure out how to get the necessary hardware. We'd design a compatible adapter for PS/2 mice and a AVR, or we'd rewrite the software on my USB Keyboard adapter, or...

---

TIPI does work fine with the Logitech universal receivers... And that reminds me I need to write the XB MOUSE/O replacement for TIPI that is software compatible with XB programs that used the Mechatronics driver.

Back in the day, mousekateers in the TI space had the sense to use pluggin drivers for things like TIArtist, or XB. So If modern programs stick with this 'overlay' approach for the mouse calls, the software can be written for Mechatronics, Asgaard, and TIPI...

---

Mechatronics vs. Asgaardians seems like a video game the TI should have.

-M@

• Like 2

Software sells hardware. This was proven by the Atari 2600, and has been true ever since. It is just the human way. Hardware does nothing without the software.

If, there were a game out there that used a Mouse as the only interface for input, and it required a Mechatronics mouse, and was a good piece of software, people would figure out how to get the necessary hardware. We'd design a compatible adapter for PS/2 mice and a AVR, or we'd rewrite the software on my USB Keyboard adapter, or...

---

TIPI does work fine with the Logitech universal receivers... And that reminds me I need to write the XB MOUSE/O replacement for TIPI that is software compatible with XB programs that used the Mechatronics driver.

Back in the day, mousekateers in the TI space had the sense to use pluggin drivers for things like TIArtist, or XB. So If modern programs stick with this 'overlay' approach for the mouse calls, the software can be written for Mechatronics, Asgaard, and TIPI...

---

Mechatronics vs. Asgaardians seems like a video game the TI should have.

-M@

Yeah we used the mouse for tiartist, really upped the game as far as art in that resolution/color restrictions. also I rewrote a game in xb that was missile commandy where it used a sprite to do the crosshairs and with the mechatronic mouse drive for xb one of the great features was that you could attach sprite 1 to the mouse and clicks were joystick buttons..so converting an existing "crosshair" or "pointer" game in XB was childs play.. ALSO there's mousedesk (check my youtube for a video of that) which was my gui idea that is written in hybrid xb/assy that I never went anywhere with but was fun to write. Also I ported mousedesk to work on the geneve with the geneve mouse in GPL/XB.

We can do a LOT more with a mouse if devs and users all have one inexpensively, the issue with mice before was they either didn't have one due to availability or price or lack of reasons to have it.. All of these are resolvable today and having a "mouse driver" in gcc & XB/Tiartist means we can do anything we want with it..

• Like 1

Yeah we used the mouse for tiartist, really upped the game as far as art in that resolution/color restrictions. also I rewrote a game in xb that was missile commandy where it used a sprite to do the crosshairs and with the mechatronic mouse drive for xb one of the great features was that you could attach sprite 1 to the mouse and clicks were joystick buttons..so converting an existing "crosshair" or "pointer" game in XB was childs play.. ALSO there's mousedesk (check my youtube for a video of that) which was my gui idea that is written in hybrid xb/assy that I never went anywhere with but was fun to write. Also I ported mousedesk to work on the geneve with the geneve mouse in GPL/XB.

We can do a LOT more with a mouse if devs and users all have one inexpensively, the issue with mice before was they either didn't have one due to availability or price or lack of reasons to have it.. All of these are resolvable today and having a "mouse driver" in gcc & XB/Tiartist means we can do anything we want with it..

Plus, I bet, TIPI can be utilized here as well. But again, someone has to develop for the option. I mean, then, USB mouses, if it works on Pi, amiright? :)

BITD I bought JoyPaint99 from Great Lakes Software which used the joystick and employed a GUI interface that copied the basic features of MacPaint. It was a decent, useable program, given the lower resolution of the TI and the slothlike pointer. Those used to the Mac's lightning-fast mouse would be bemused and a bit frustrated at how long it took the pointer to traverse the screen to get to a menu option and return to where it would be used in a drawing. A mouse would certainly help, as my hands would get tired of constantly pushing the stick to get the pointer to where I wanted it to be, and that took both hands or a secure joystick desk mount.

I don't recall if JoyPaint supported Mac-like keyboard shortcuts, which would help avoid pointer-runs to the menu. On an accelerated TI, it would be worth checking out.

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak