IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

I do wish Arcade1UP would ship with an outer, plain cardboard box covering the entire thing, not to protect the printed cardboard for collector reasons, but for a discreet shipping process. Because, when mine arrive, they sit in my driveway for a few hours for the entire world to see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

I do wish Arcade1UP would ship with an outer, plain cardboard box covering the entire thing, not to protect the printed cardboard for collector reasons, but for a discreet shipping process. Because, when mine arrive, they sit in my driveway for a few hours for the entire world to see.

they do that for some countercades, and all partycades.

for retail, i think they want the picture boxes so people know what they are buying.

later

49 minutes ago, negative1 said:

they do that for some countercades, and all partycades.

for retail, i think they want the picture boxes so people know what they are buying.

later

I'm talking about an extra outer plain cardboard cover. For instance, I recently bought a Ninja XL grill, and even though it was a big box with the original packaging, it was still sheathed with another layer of plain cardboard for shipping reasons, plus it adds discretion. The only purpose the flashy box serves after purchase is to show everyone in the delivery chain, and everyone walking or driving by your house, exactly what you've got.

7 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

I'm talking about an extra outer plain cardboard cover. For instance, I recently bought a Ninja XL grill, and even though it was a big box with the original packaging, it was still sheathed with another layer of plain cardboard for shipping reasons, plus it adds discretion. The only purpose the flashy box serves after purchase is to show everyone in the delivery chain, and everyone walking or driving by your house, exactly what you've got.

My AFM pinball came with an outer plain box around the retail box. But my OutRun just shipped in the retail box. It was kind of alarming coming home to see that sitting on the front porch.

3 hours ago, Zoyous said:

My AFM pinball came with an outer plain box around the retail box. But my OutRun just shipped in the retail box. It was kind of alarming coming home to see that sitting on the front porch.

i guess it depends on the shipping service.

but most of the ones i've ordered from offer:

==============================

pick up package from distribution place - fedex, ups, etc

ask for a signed signature at a time you are there

leave with a neighbor

leave at a different location - you tell them where

--

i don't have it, but some people have a camera on their

porch or door

- text messages telling you when the package is there,

so you can go home (if possible) and get it

there's a lot of options, than just leaving it there...

later

Edited by negative1

On 2/1/2022 at 4:00 PM, Zoyous said:

Slightly off topic but just got to laugh that I bought a nice new Gibson SG guitar, and the GD box had a huge full size picture of the guitar on it!  And of course it was left on my front porch, no signature...and at that duplex I had even shit stolen out of my mailbox before.  Fortunately this was waiting for me when I got home, but yeah.  They REALLY need to watch that stuff. 

At least the A1up stuff is heavy for its value.  Most porch pirates that I've seen on the gotcha videos aren't strong enough to haul that away (or smart enough (??) to bring a two-wheeler). :)

Oh and a happy note, my Atari Legacy sound is fixed up.  They had me open up the control panel, tighten up some biz, and make sure to plug in the audio cord TIGHT like crazy tight into the monitor.  It's strange to me since the startup screen and menus were ASTOUNDINGLY loud until I would adjust down with the switch, but the games themselves were next to completely silent (thought it was a program issue or something).  But nope, hardware issue and solvable on my own.  Games are SURE a lot more fun with sound! :)

• Like 3

Finally got to playing some Major Havoc, Cobra Kai...Wow, it is as has been said a true hidden gem!  I am terrible right now at the platform parts (always sucked at those games), but I will progress.  What a fun, strange game.  I love the little mini-breakout game in the lower right corner before you launch!!  I can see why this is such a cult favorite.  I'm enjoying Akka Arrh more than I thought I would, but it is very hard after a certain point (which was why it never got released; you would've thought that would be an easy problem to fix?).  The Vector display is just fantastic on this machine, really enjoying Asteroids / Deluxe / Space Duel as well.  Huge thumbs up on this machine.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Woodgrain sideart (which the original game never had) and pseudo-Pac-Man Plus art on the riser.

The plot is long since lost.  Good job, cabinet manufacturer!

And it has a Pac-Man frame around the monitor. It's a frankenstein. I think here is a cab uglier than the Frogger.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Woodgrain sideart (which the original game never had) and pseudo-Pac-Man Plus art on the riser.

The plot is long since lost.  Good job, cabinet manufacturer!

3 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

And it has a Pac-Man frame around the monitor. It's a frankenstein. I think here is a cab uglier than the Frogger.

i don't think either of you understand this is just a render.

looks awesome to me.  i will probably be getting one.

later

Oh c'mon man, I know it's a subjective opinion, but that doesn't look awesome. What it looks like is a cobbled together unit made out of spare parts including the cabinet of Pacman 40th anniversary, the Super Pacman marquee from the Sam's Club special, and the monitor from the Namco Legacy cab, and topped off with extra mismatched Pacman decals. 

i would never advertise this thing openly. I'm certainly no A1UP hater. This is the worst concept I've seen from them, unless this is being handled by Walmart marketing department, that could explain it.

The cabinet shape looks like the original Pac-Man Plus. And the bezel is correct for Pac-Man Plus, but obviously the marquee is not. However, that cabinet had no artwork on the sides, just woodgrain. Image: https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8958

It's hard to tell from the orthographic views, but it looks like the monitor is leaned back at more of an angle than most previous cabs. That should be pretty nice for playing while standing.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

The cabinet shape looks like the original Pac-Man Plus. And the bezel is correct for Pac-Man Plus, but obviously the marquee is not. However, that cabinet had no artwork on the sides, just woodgrain. Image: https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8958

It's hard to tell from the orthographic views, but it looks like the monitor is leaned back at more of an angle than most previous cabs. That should be pretty nice for playing while standing.

Interesting, that link puts some context to the cab design. Thanks!

I'm really disappointed with the 2022 A1UP offerings so far, I must say. Even though there are improved cab designs with the Centipede and MK cabs for instance, every offering so far has basically been a re-skin. The Golden Tee Pro is exciting, but that's also not featuring much beyond a better cab design. 

The new Killer Instinct Pro is kind of a slap in the face if you pre-ordered the first version. A new MK3 re-skin? Meh, it'll have the same games as the other Midway Legacy cabs including the same broken Paperboy game. 

Is there no longer a license with Capcom? Because that's the only legacy cab that hasn't seen any re-skin, and it also happens to be the only one that is sold out everywhere. 

2 hours ago, negative1 said:

i don't think either of you understand this is just a render.

I most certainly did.  That doesn't mean that it's at all appealing to me.

looks awesome to me.  i will probably be getting one.

*Shrug* it's your money, spend it as you like.

One correction: I did completely forget about the existence of the Pac-Man cabaret when I made my original post.  That one did have woodgrain sides and appears to have been the model that this particular A1UP cabinet is at least partly based on.

http://www.arcadehollywood.com/images/thegames/pacmanPic01.jpg