IGNORED

Game Informer's 40 years of videogame milestones-- ignores Atari

zzip

It was meant as a celebration of Shigeru Miyamoto's 40 years at Nintendo, so the Nintendo focus is fine. I still disagree with some of the choices. Even If I agreed with the choices it's a poor list; there's no explanation of why these headlines were chosen. As much as I like Pac-Man Fever, I've still gotta admit the C-64 is probably more significant than Buckner & Garcia's novelty song.

And they didn't differentiate between Atari Games and Atari Corp.

They are missing some significant moments in Nintendo history:

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/02/02/business/nintendo-is-sued-by-atari.html

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/04/11/business/nintendo-to-pay-25-million-in-rebates-on-price-fixing.html

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-05-02/business/fi-1361_1_video-game-market

• Like 1

The article is poor, period. If you're going to use Miyamoto as the pivot point - which is a perfectly acceptable hook - keep the focus on Nintendo and how Nintendo influenced the industry. You can then throw in highlights from other companies as it relates to Nintendo's own rise. As it is, it's just kind of random. It's like halfway in on both ideas, and that simply doesn't work.

• Like 10

(haven't read the article yet)

It's not an "article," it's 40 seemingly random headlines from the past 40 years, spread across 5 pages to fill space. You haven't missed anything.

I gave a Tweet to Game Deformer just now about their whole skip of Atari.

You should direct it to Andrew Reiner, who "wrote" this thing. Maybe he'll say he was a on a deadline, or drunk, or something. I wouldn't want a byline on something this dumb.

Who is Game Informer anyway? Never heard of them

When you buy something at Gamestop (it's OK, I don't do it either), they push their rewards program, which offers small discounts and this monthly glossy or digital magazine. Like a lot of "games journalism," it's a lot of PR and not particularly well written or interesting. The art is generally good and if you care about new releases, there's that.

The article is poor, period. If you're going to use Miyamoto as the pivot point - which is a perfectly acceptable hook - keep the focus on Nintendo and how Nintendo influenced the industry. You can then throw in highlights from other companies as it relates to Nintendo's own rise. As it is, it's just kind of random. It's like halfway in on both ideas, and that simply doesn't work.

We're all giving Andrew and GameInformer way too much credit and attention. We might as well critique the game section in this week's Target flyer. It doesn't mention Atari OR Nintendo! Where is their sense of history???? SAD

post-2410-0-27249800-1519487086.png

Edit: Actually, I see one game for the Nintendo Switch on sale, approximately the same coverage that Atari got by being mentioned in the Activision blurb. But still, IDGAF and neither should you.

• Like 4

When you buy something at Gamestop (it's OK, I don't do it either), they push their rewards program, which offers small discounts and this monthly glossy or digital magazine. Like a lot of "games journalism," it's a lot of PR and not particularly well written or interesting. The art is generally good and if you care about new releases, there's that.

I bought really cheap used 3DS games. I got 3 3DS Skylander games and a Skylander portal that works for all three.. all for about $15. My son already has dozens of the Skylander amiibo he got for almost nothing at 5andBelow, so I'm hoping enough to play these games. I said no to the rewards as it is $15 per year with a measy 10% discount. I said no as I would have to spend $150 on used games just to break even. I have no need for a gaming magazine as I don't big bucks for new games and older DS/3DS are not reviewed in mag. The moron working at GameStop just looked at me and said wow you're good with math. I just said yea .. thinking no wonder this twenty something works at GameStop.

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 3

absolutely! But so many people bought the C64 in particular that I feel it's like the missing 'console' that bridges the gap between the 2600 and the NES

Or even diverted people away from consoles entirely. This is easy for the Gaming Press to miss.

I bought an Atari probably around the same time my dad got a Timex Sinclair ZX-81. Then Commodore offered a games machine and a serious computer in one. So dad got us a C64 and we played Gauntlet and Double Dragon and Julius Irving and Larry Bird go One on One. But there were some great creative options also: Adventure Construction Set, Movie Maker, Arcade Game Construction Kit. We learned to program...first year of college in 1989-90 I brought a C128 and was writing papers on a word processor my brother wrote from scratch. My dad eventually got a Mac SE for his engineering work. We spent a lot of time on Deluxe Music Construction Set.

There were Nintendos on my hall in college and I remember the Sega commercials but I never had the slightest interest in any of that stuff. And I definitely spent way too much time gaming in the 90s--but it all happened on whatever Mac I was using at the time.

Edited by CDS Games
  • Like 6

I'm certainly not defending them, but I see the article was by Andrew Reiner, who has been at GI from very early on, if not Day One. I'm not sure who's still left there, I guess it certainly could be a buncha hipster millenials by now.

GI is a locally based (Minnesota) magazine, just as GameStop was based here & started as FuncoLand. I met some of the original staff when their band Unbelievable Jolly Machine played a downtown Mpls. bar. They must all be about my age now (mid 40s).

Wow, I did not know Game Informer was local. I knew about FuncoLand and them wanting to sell you a cart cleaner kit.

(haven't read the article yet)

I still get the magazine and usually read it cover to cover. A few years ago they had a top 200 games of all time that excluded Space Invaders. That issue also excluded the C64 100%, but they had room for multiple Final Fantasy games - lame. That was the moment that convinced me they weren't interested in actual gaming journalism. I get that you want to write the article for your audience, but at least MENTION Atari or (in the case of SI) the game that almost single-handedly kicked off a cultural phenomenon.

spoiler alert, this article excludes Space Invaders as well, because apparently "Nintendo Computer Othello" made a bigger splash in 1978 or something

Edited by zzip
  • Like 3

Yeah, if they were going for the Miyamoto angle, the headline on down should have reflected that

actually no gameboy mentions at all, pretty bad list, Super Mario Bros hits theaters is really a defining moment?

Or "2006 - Ralph Baer receives medal from President Bush"- They probably should have mentioned Ralph Baer in the opening paragraph where he belongs as one of the pioneers and left that entry for more something relevant to 2006. As it's written, it doesn't even explain why Baer would deserve the medal!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd dig this up to mention that Game Informer recently pushed out their 300th issue. They took advantage of this anniversary to publish a top 300 games of all time list. It seems that since they published their top 200 list (which I referenced earlier in this thread) that the writers learned to use both MAME and Stella. There are now plenty more token inclusions of both arcade and 2600 games.

300 games is sooo many games that I think it makes it kind of hard to be too upset with them for any individual arrangement. I was reading it thinking "I probably can't even name 300 games that I even want to be on such a list." However, I will say that my first read revealed exactly 0 games for any Commodore platform which is just ridiculous. I guess before issue 400, the writers will need to learn to use VICE and UAE . . .

• Like 1