IGNORED

common games, but not exactly as described in rarity list

sipedogg

I have been trying to identify all of my atari 2600 carts to see if I have any collectors. This website has helped me so much, tons of information! Out of my 35-40 games I only noticed 2 games that made me wonder if they were unusual. I have the quite common Missile Command and Video Pinball. What does not seem to make sense is that the rarity chart mentions capital letters on the end of the cart. Mine have all lower case letters. Anybody have some input on this? Also, anyone interested in what I have to sell just give me a shout. Thanks.

Kevin

Thanks. I did not know there was another list. It amazing how many variations there are! Do variations such as the lower case letters, different text position, etc. make them any more valuable? It would take some time to exactly identify which version all my games are. If there are particular ones that are desirable I would take a moment to investigate. Thanks again.

There's always gonna be people who get excited by little differences like uppercase and lowercase letters on a label. To them, the differences must somehow translate into differences in value. I believe the great majority of collectors really don't care that much about label variations beyond the most striking, like a total redesign or Text vs. Picture.

Collectors obsessed with variation minutiae enjoy hyping the rarity of certain obscure variations they have found, because it is fascinating to them. But in the end, most collectors really don't care whether the font size of their label text is 30 or 32, or whether the TM symbol in the fine print is missing or present. In terms of value, almost ALL of the tens of thousands of niggley-piggely label variations known don't mean a damn.

Ben

I still think a Pole Positn and a Raiders Lost Ark are valuable, just because they're so damn screwy (and obvious from looking at the end labels). I already own the former and I'm still looking for the latter. :D

I still think a Pole Positn and a Raiders Lost Ark are valuable, just because they're so damn screwy (and obvious from looking at the end labels).  I already own the former and I'm still looking for the latter. :D

I agree with you there. I've got the Positn, and I'm still looking out for the Ark, too.

Ben

Archived