IGNORED

MiniMem goof

Opry99er

So, Im jacking around with my mini memory cartridge and Im having a bit of difficulty. I wrote a test program onto it, it saved, it will re-load from TI BASIC, all is good.

When I try to modify and re-save that program, it appears to work fine. Then, when I turn off the console, unplug the module, plug it back in, then OLD MINIMEM, I get the original test program... not the modified one.

I have used the RE-INITIALIZE function in the menu, just to see if that would have any effect, but the issue remains... it will still load that original test program and will not save anything over it. Almost as if the RAM has this test program permanantly burned into the RAM chip.

Is this common? I had a MiniMem a few years back that simply wouldnt save or load.... then I replaced the battery and all worked as it should, but this issue seems much different.

Am I potentially missing something obvious here, or do I need to take it apart and have a look-see?

Same problem... I write a program, then save it. Works great. I load it back in after a power cycle... works great.

When I try to modify the program or save a new one, it reverts back to the initial program I wrote after the memory clear.

Once a program is saved, it cannot be modified or saved over without manually clearing every bite of program space.

Bizarre...

Want to put together a testing package? I'd be happy to try and replicate what you're doing here on my system to see if I get the same behaviour but I know very little about my minimem despite having done the battery button holder mod on it.

EDIT: So step by step instruction would be necessary.

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 1

Sure...

1) Fire up the console with MiniMem installed

2) Enter TI BASIC

3) Type the following:

100 CALL CLEAR

110 PRINT SAVE SUCCESS

120 END

4) Type SAVE MINIMEM

5) Turn off console

6) Turn on console

7).Enter TI BASIC

8) Type OLD MINIMEM

9) Type RUN

**Report results

Edited by Opry99er

I whipped out the minimem I modded a while back, battery on the top so you can get to it..

10 print "hi"

save minimem

turned off console

turned on console

old minimem

list

10 print "hi"

entered

20 goto 10

save minimem

turned off console

turned on console

old minimem

list

10 print "hi"

20 goto 10

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

also reinitalize erases it.. old minimem after that gives me a error 57

Seems to have cleared the old program... now to see if I can save a new one!

Yep, a new battery may not do it, but it's worth a try.

Also you could change the program to retrieve the value just poked (using CALL PEEK) and test if that memory location is alright. A few different values for each memory location.

You could also poke increasing values (0 to 255). Turn off and on. And then make a program to check if the memory locations are as they should be.

If there's a bad connection on the board, then it's a bit strange that changing the program is the only bug you encounter.

Could it be that either the ROM or GROM has only one or a few bits gone bad ?

;)

• Like 1