IGNORED

OT: Oregon Trail handheld, Target store exclusive

Lathe26

Guest LiqMat

Just a heads up and warning. If you go to buy one of these make sure to demo it first before purchasing. I picked up two more today and noticed a few had dust under the screen and another had a screen that would dim every time there was sound. So quality control is hit or miss with these units.

On another note I finally, for the first time ever, got to Oregon City and scored 5100. Not too bad. Played as a carpenter.

Edited by LiqMat

My local Target did not have any Organ Trail handhelds. The guy checked and back said they all sold out. Target had the football, basketball and hockey games.They also the Space Invaders and Bandai Pacman connect to TV units. And the AT line , sega Genesis , AFP and FB 8, FB 8 Gold.

I might have to order it on line from Target and select ship to store option.

Edited by thetick1

Guest LiqMat

Nice quick review for my ADD mind. I agree with every point of your review. Every time I hunt with that awful gamepad hilarity (and cussing) ensues, but luckily I end up with way more meat than I can carry anyway. As far as the difficulty of the game goes, I arrived in Oregon City in one sitting as a carpenter. I don't remember it being that easy on the computer version, but regardless I had fun and I guess that's the point.

Edited by LiqMat
  • Like 1

Good review. I haven't heard of the crashes; do you know of any photos of a crashed unit? My Google-fu failed me.

Supposedly it can happen in the latter part of the game. It basically freezes. I didn't experience it yet myself. It might just be the usual build tolerances between different units for this class of product. Same thing with dead pixels, etc., I would imagine.

Supposedly it can happen in the latter part of the game. It basically freezes. I didn't experience it yet myself. It might just be the usual build tolerances between different units for this class of product. Same thing with dead pixels, etc., I would imagine.

Regarding build tolerances, I noticed that different units run at slightly different speeds. While the demo-mode tabs were still in place, I pressed Enter on 3 units simultaneously. 2 of them kept in sync but the 3rd was 1 second behind by the time the demo ended. The slightly out-of-sync audio sounds... weird.

• Like 1

Regarding build tolerances, I noticed that different units run at slightly different speeds. While the demo-mode tabs were still in place, I pressed Enter on 3 units simultaneously. 2 of them kept in sync but the 3rd was 1 second behind by the time the demo ended. The slightly out-of-sync audio sounds... weird.

Variant,sell that one to C-mart! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That Doom thing is as bad as the Stevie Wonder plays Atari ad that just won't die...

Really?? I'm thinking it may be the only way newcomers (to classic gaming) will experience Doom. Newbies aren't likely to build up a period PC. And it may take them some time to discover GOG.

So.. Doom in the stores? I'm all for it!

Really?? I'm thinking it may be the only way newcomers (to classic gaming) will experience Doom. Newbies aren't likely to build up a period PC. And it may take them some time to discover GOG.

So.. Doom in the stores? I'm all for it!

This is not a real product.

A fake product? As in Fake News? A parody.. No wonder I read the internet less and less these days. And pay even less attention to new products and reviews.

I forget the circumstances, but this might have been an April Fool's gag or something. Anyway, I'm pretty sure someone just mocked it up. It's a clever mock-up, but definitely not real (unless there's something new I missed).

EDIT: No, I didn't miss anything new. Still just a clever gag.