IGNORED

Demon Attack

Never thought much of George being an endorser of video games.

Separate topic, but if you know George Plimpton's background, etc., he was probably one of the more inspired choices for a spokesperson of this type, particularly given the console (and its specifics) in question.

• Like 1

mr_me
will be done so, that's the next thing i will try, thank you for metioning it "work = force * distance"

SoundGammon
why should it have? it's a static shooter and offers something else as a vertical or horizontally scrolling, i guess it was because of limitations in size, otherwise it would be no problem but neither makes a game better, just different.

BassGuitari
until you played it :)
damned yes that's what i thought, "ok, an invaders clone and not even a good one, look at these giant monsters"
i never gave the game a chance in the past
until i have the possibilty now to play it on my console
i tried it and was surprised how much fun i had playing it.
it's not different to invaders, it's the same "stupid thing", nonetheless it's addictive.

true, i can't get enough of them.

as there really aren't too many Space Invaders/Galaxian-esque games for it

a galaxian is truely missing, or somewhat close.
i remember a clone or variation (which i never found as rom image) which i played in my youth
in general it was a galaxian (static shooter) but the main difference was you had limited rockets, each shot has to hit or almost each.
i guess the amount of rockets was counted as fuel, but it's very long ago.
also the attack patterns had a wider variety as galaxian offers.

a second i never saw except in our arcade is one from German Democratic Republic (the commies so to say)
it had not much colors only the background was changing colors and the moving objects was always white.
but it was great to play (buttons only, no stick) it had a wide variety of enemies and attack patterns and if i remember right speech, simple speech like "welle eins, bereit" (wave one, ready)
it was a static shooter, but the passing by enemies gave you an impression of a vertical scrolling (no background at all, not even stars)

first i would like to have them as coin-op, second i guess both would make a fine game for the intellivision.

especially latter, can you imagine a soviet themed space shooter for the Inty?

most of all i would like a "Moon Cresta" it was my favorite game together with "Phoenix".

pardon me another example, i just copied the first screen of "demon attack" the rest is a different static shooter especially since i included the mothership already in a different one

the attack pattern is quite different and only wave 1 and 2 are blatant copies of "demon attack" from the inty (the sprites are based on screenshots, while much larger)
for this game i used the poss. to switch from a static to a horizontal and back to a static shooter layout.
level three is far to overloaded
maybe interesting is the level boss of level 2 (and level 3 if it would be to see)
you can only hit his eyes the rest has no collision detection and also his eyes arent open always (detection only when open)

the following i like to post again, i'm really a bit proud of it, it's how i solved the typical "Cresta" attack pattern.
in general its just a rotating crescent in a left and right version, the path is like a bees path (an eight) for each half, where they stay together for the half of the way
the animation is exactly of the same duration so they will join and split when following the pattern.
overall it comes very close to the attack pattern of the crescents in moon cresta.
all together they act wild and are quite hard to shoot on because of the changing size, splitting and different pattern.

do i really have to kick me in the ass to release such for the inty?
i'm sure it will be a great level to play.

Edited by Gernot

BassGuitari

until you played it :)

damned yes that's what i thought, "ok, an invaders clone and not even a good one, look at these giant monsters"

i never gave the game a chance in the past

until i have the possibilty now to play it on my console

i tried it and was surprised how much fun i had playing it.

it's not different to invaders, it's the same "stupid thing", nonetheless it's addictive.

Space Armada was one of the first games I got for Intellivision, almost 20 years ago now--I have played it. Repeatedly. Because I keep giving it extra chances it doesn't deserve because delusional people keep telling me it's actually a good game. ;) :P

Every now and then I play it to see if it's really as disappointing as I remember. And it always is. It's clunky, the controls aren't especially responsive, firing is frustratingly slow, and it's one of the rare instances where I find myself with sore fingers from the fire buttons. But I blame Space Armada, because the controller is perfectly fine for me with nearly every other game.

Other than that, it's alright; the graphics are kinda cool and colorful, and the invaders have a varied arsenal, and it's alright for a couple of rounds before you realize you could be playing Astrosmash instead (or your fire button fingers start screaming in agony, whichever happens first :P). Space Armada isn't a terrible game, but certainly not especially good either.

hey bassguitari

i can't read minds

mi dispiace :)

next time when i'm around i will visit you on the sister moon

post-41280-0-38370200-1521397750_thumb.jpg

not much going down there as i remember, a rather cold place to stay.

i know not everybody must like me but "wahnhaft", how did i achieved that?

i'm not, it's proofed, 100%, have been through that, certificated and sealed i'm not.

i wasn't sure but they say i'm not.

i'm whatever but not delusional and not compulsive.

but i'm not here to argue.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Guest??? Liq_Mat * :?

I'm sorry, it won't run on a x64 Win (i forgot), i t neither runs on the new notebook i bought for my mom.
i have either to grab the one i made once on my win7x64 or create a new one (i use a free version of GACK and have to create the standalones manually).

Meanwhile i have this for you:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfv4rdaahm7deka/Phoenix0.0.3_Pioneer31.7z?dl=0
It's no shoot 'em up but you can shoot them down, if you are fast enough though.
This will work in your win7x64 (i assume it runs fine in my win10).
A winx64 compiled version will be created in the next couple of months (which otherwise won't run in any x86 OS).

never mind

i found them on my rigid disk drive at home ;)

looks like they are split into an exe and a repo, but they work on the win10 x64 notepad i'm posting from.

if you have a profiler for your joystick use it, the joystick input is broken but it's the last version of this "game application construction kit" which works without being connected to a tablet.

i do understand that "gack" exist just to advertise for another piece of software he sells, but still i don't understand fully the decision he made.

ah well, controls are simple, right ctrl & arrow keys are for player1, there should be a description in the game (esc).

the games need some time to start, the reason is that the sound instructions must be converted to a .wav file, thus as more sound effects a game has as longer it takes to load and unfortunately i liked to play around with the sound effects a lot.

eagle is a quite early project i made and to make life easier i simply shrinked some if my pioneer ships to tiny sprites, the result is quite good imho but only after i hacked the palette of gack (to be honest the standalone is also i hack it's not ment to make standalones with the shareware version, but if you have the opportunity? further yes i do payed for this little piece of software, but like i said i would need additionally a tablet or similar device to use it, so what's the heck erm hack). but of course it's not the same like if all is made from scratch like for "mean & green".

i can't say if the osx versions will run in a recent osx.

try.

virus detection will alert you and probably it will take a little longer until they are clear about this harmless piece of software, in my own case i had to wait until it was checked externally.

but the lights can't be greener ;)

Eagle_osx.zip

Eagle_win32.zip

Mean&Green_osx.zip

Mean&Green_win32.zip

I grew up playing demon attack on the 2600(one of my favorites for the system). Found a complete boxed copy for intellivision at a thrift store. Tried it out and found out it was different then the 2600 version. Personally, I prefer the 2600 version. But it is still cool.

• 4 years later...
On 3/5/2018 at 4:21 PM, mr_me said:

APh was working on an Intellivision Galaxian conversion back in 1980/81

Not a conversion. The cartridge listed as "Arcade" in the 1980 catalog was conceived in 1978, before Galaxian was introduced, but arcade-style games were disfavored by marketing (Rochlis) at the time. A rudimentary T-card was prepared in 1979 in time for Summer CES.

• Like 2