IGNORED

Atarimax Cartridge Not Working

Hank Rearden

You might have a warped console casing. Try removing the 2 center screws from the casing and then insert the cart. If the top cover is warped, it will hold the cart just a bit higher in the contacts.

But that would be an issue with all of his carts correct? OP states only the Atarimax SD cart is giving him issues of not seating properly in the cartridge port.

From what he has done, the issue is literally that when his Atarimax SD PCB is in the cartridge shell, then the PCB appears to sit too high to get good contact in the system. It is like the center post on his PCB might have been drilled out too low causing the PCB to sit higher when seated.

But that would be an issue with all of his carts correct? OP states only the Atarimax SD cart is giving him issues of not seating properly in the cartridge port.

From what he has done, the issue is literally that when his Atarimax SD PCB is in the cartridge shell, then the PCB appears to sit too high to get good contact in the system. It is like the center post on his PCB might have been drilled out too low causing the PCB to sit higher when seated.

That's also possible. I just threw something out there to try that's free and simple. :) The OP had mentioned having Activision carts also not working and my suggestion worked on a 2-port system before, so I thought it might help.

I'll go back to doing laundry and baking cookies now. :)

I'm open to all suggestions. No worries. I'm going to remove the top cover and make sure it was all screwed back together after the mod work was done.

That's also possible. I just threw something out there to try that's free and simple. :) The OP had mentioned having Activision carts also not working and my suggestion worked on a 2-port system before, so I thought it might help.

I also didn't mean any disrespect either. I just figured that if the case shell was warped in the manner you describe that it would affect more of his games than just the one. Especially when you consider that the Atarimax comes in a standard 5200 cart shell. But hey it would be interesting to see without the top shell if it makes a difference of course or if the OP loosens the case as you stated to try.

• Like 1

For the most part yes. Mine doesn't have much movement because the SD reader bracket sits in the space that was cut out at the top for the SD card slot. So mine sits in there pretty steady. In fact you see how square it lines up looking at the edge of the PCB where the SC card slot is in the bottom of the picture. I didn't know the inside of mine was so dirty though. Definitely reused cart shells and mine was pretty nasty. Since I have it apart I'm going to wipe it out really good tonight with the 99.9 pure stuff.

For the most part yes. Mine doesn't have much movement because the SD reader bracket sits in the space that was cut out at the top for the SD card slot. So mine sits in there pretty steady. In fact you see how square it lines up looking at the edge of the PCB where the SC card slot is in the bottom of the picture. I didn't know the inside of mine was so dirty though. Definitely reused cart shells and mine was pretty nasty. Since I have it apart I'm going to wipe it out really good tonight with the 99.9 pure stuff.

First, at least it wasn't a wasted effort. Chance to do some spring cleaning inside your cartridge! :)

Second, I'm pretty sure I found my problem that is causing my cartridge to not seat properly. Here are 2 pics of the UAV s-video mod that was done. There were 2 things that are causing the top case to not seat properly. The wires were ran to close to the cartridge port which won't allow it to seat properly and also the top case has a plastic flap the goes down into the storage tray where I chose to have my ports since I won't ever store the controllers in there. That flap is resting on the wires, which is not good and causes the top cover to not fit snugly. I will put a little notch in that flap so the wires comfortably fit through. I'll do the RF shield as well so there is no obstruction to the top case fitting perfectly snug. I hope that little bit extra is enough for the Atarimax cart to fully seat and also prevent any pinching of the wires.

I'll report back when I've had the time to do all of this. I do appreciate all the feedback.

post-51379-0-47240900-1521730658_thumb.jpg

post-51379-0-12522200-1521730673_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hank Rearden

yeap..that would do it. I actually run the AV wires by threading them through other components like resistors and such on the board. Keeps them in place and routes them exactly as I want them. I actually ran into this same issue when I did the power mod to my personal 5200. I first had the wiring along the back side behind the cart slot and then had issues with the cover not wanting to seat properly so I then ran them under the PCB instead. Glad it was a simple issue for you. Although you might think about notching out the RF shielding for the wires or else you run the risk of it eventually cutting through the wiring and shorting out to ground.

• Like 1

yeap..that would do it. I actually run the AV wires by threading them through other components like resistors and such on the board. Keeps them in place and routes them exactly as I want them. I actually ran into this same issue when I did the power mod to my personal 5200. I first had the wiring along the back side behind the cart slot and then had issues with the cover not wanting to seat properly so I then ran them under the PCB instead. Glad it was a simple issue for you. Although you might think about notching out the RF shielding for the wires or else you run the risk of it eventually cutting through the wiring and shorting out to ground.

I'm going to also do the RF shield. I want to eliminate any pinch points and ensure the cover sits flush. I still need to do all of that to prove out that is the problem. I hope to get to it today or tomorrow so I can focus on enjoying the games with the s-video. The s-video is awesome on the PVM!

Any suggestions on notching the plastic in the bottom of the tray? I was thinking of drilling a small hole near the bottom and then trim the hole to the edge since I can't run through the hole without undoing the soldering (I don't want to do that). Tin snips should do it on the RF shield.

Any suggestions on notching the plastic in the bottom of the tray? I was thinking of drilling a small hole near the bottom and then trim the hole to the edge since I can't run through the hole without undoing the soldering (I don't want to do that). Tin snips should do it on the RF shield.

I'm not following you on this?

I'm not sure where your AV jacks are installed, but I usually install the power jack (If a 4-port with power mod) near where the channel select is (if I'm keeping the RF), or in the old channel select slot like CPUWIZ did on his mod. And then I usually have the s-video off to the side of that and behind where the heatsinks are for the 7805s. I then run the composite and audio outputs to RCA jacks that I usually just mount onto the expansion port cover itself. It is pretty strong and there is plenty of room and already a nice large opening in the RF to run them out through. This way I only have to remove the section of the RF next to the right hand side of the cart port shield area.

If you are asking about what to use to cut the casing, I start with a small 1/16 pilot hole to center, and then I have Forstner bits I use from there to mill out the rest of the plastic safely. 1/4" for RCAs and 1/2" starting off for the s-video and then widen it as needed from there.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

I guess the pics don't show it but the jacks are installed straight out the back of the unit. The wires run through the controller compartment. Maybe not the best option but the one we went with.

I'm not following you on this?

I'm not sure where your AV jacks are installed, but I usually install the power jack (If a 4-port with power mod) near where the channel select is (if I'm keeping the RF), or in the old channel select slot like CPUWIZ did on his mod. And then I usually have the s-video off to the side of that and behind where the heatsinks are for the 7805s. I then run the composite and audio outputs to RCA jacks that I usually just mount onto the expansion port cover itself. It is pretty strong and there is plenty of room and already a nice large opening in the RF to run them out through. This way I only have to remove the section of the RF next to the right hand side of the cart port shield area.

If you are asking about what to use to cut the casing, I start with a small 1/16 pilot hole to center, and then I have Forstner bits I use from there to mill out the rest of the plastic safely. 1/4" for RCAs and 1/2" starting off for the s-video and then widen it as needed from there.

Well now see that is a problem because those two nubs you see are actually the bottom of the controller holder section. I actually do use that section to keep both of my controllers in when not in use. So running the jacks to that part of the case would never be an option for me. If you don't plan to use it as you stated, then I guess you're fine. But you still need to notch out the plastic a bit that covers over that section and would again be an issue for pinching the wires. I would use a dremel and just carve out the notch to the size needed in this case.

I'm open to all suggestions. No worries. I'm going to remove the top cover and make sure it was all screwed back together after the mod work was done.

That whole cover is the cart guide as you've seen, so any raising causes a loss contact surface due to it holding the cart higher above connector than normal.

Success!!!! Had to bug the neighbor as I didn't have anything to really cut the RF shield. With an assist I was able to cut a small section and bend it up just enough for the wires to fit comfortably. I then basically just used a file and some sand paper to create a notch in the plastic. By far not a 'professional' job but good enough. Now there's no pinching of any wires and the top cover rests comfortably in place and the Atarimax cartridge is performing just as it should!! I am very happy now and can start posting some scores for the HSC again! I appreciate all the advice and feedback!! :)

A few pics to show what I did.

post-51379-0-69956200-1521772870_thumb.jpg

post-51379-0-70902300-1521772882_thumb.jpg

post-51379-0-06436900-1521772895_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Success!!!! Had to bug the neighbor as I didn't have anything to really cut the RF shield. With an assist I was able to cut a small section and bend it up just enough for the wires to fit comfortably. I then basically just used a file and some sand paper to create a notch in the plastic. By far not a 'professional' job but good enough. Now there's no pinching of any wires and the top cover rests comfortably in place and the Atarimax cartridge is performing just as it should!! I am very happy now and can start posting some scores for the HSC again! I appreciate all the advice and feedback!! :)

A few pics to show what I did.

Perhaps notify the Atarimax seller as a courtesy and ship back one of the carts?