IGNORED

Repairing my TI Program Recorder cassette player (PHP2700)

sixsevenco

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a Texas Instruments Program Recorder on eBay. The eBay auction description was somewhat unclear. It said the recorder worked, but it also mentioned that the cassette player was noisy when adjusting the volume. I took the risk and bought it anyway, thinking the tester was probably referring to the speaker which is not important. It turns out the noise occurred when the cassette recorder was sitting flat. It would make a light metallic grinding noise, and it had nothing to do with adjusting the volume. If you held the cassette player on its side or face down, it didn't make any noise.

I decided to open it up to see if I could identify the problem. When you remove the back, you find a circuit board. I had to de-solder two wires going to the microphone to lift this up this circuit board and see what was underneath. There are three wheels connected via a belt. I could see that one wheel was metal and it would drift up and down vertically, on its mounting post. When the player was sitting flat, this wheel would drift down and rub against the metal housing that contains it causing the noise. The housing is attached via a Philips screw which was clearly loose. I simply had to tighten this screw to correctly position the wheel.

Initially, I think I over tightened the Phillips screw. The player started misbehaving where all three buttons FWD, Play, RWD would activate RWD. In trying to repair it, I thought I broke something else. Just to be sure, I reopened everything, and I could see that the metal wheel and a black plastic wheel appeared to be rubbing each other . I loosened the Phillips screw slightly to re-position the metal wheel, and everything is now working perfectly and quietly. I did reattach the microphone wires.

I probably should have taken some pics, but hopefully, I've described my symptoms and solution well enough to help someone else if they ever have this noise. I imagine this could be a common issue with these given the position of the Phillips screw.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info! I'd like to add a recent experience I had with a recorder. I recently got a TI that included a TI program recorder. The recorder seemed to work fine until I plugged in the cables into the recorder. Everything froze at that point. I took the recorder apart and it looked like the belt was slipping. I unplugged the cables and the player started turning again. I plugged in the cables one by one starting with the white then red then black. It stopped when I plugged in the black remote wire. Then I realized that the cable wasn't plugged into the computer. That didn't make any difference, I just thought it was interesting since there was no way that an unplugged cable was sending any stop signal to the recorder. Anyway, I just undid the black cable and have left it out. I am manually starting and stopping the cassette.

I also had an issue where no recording was being made about 3/4 of the time. Turned out to be a bad recorder cable. I've had no problems since I switched to a different one.

Edited by DuaneAL
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info! I'd like to add a recent experience I had with a recorder. I recently got a TI that included a TI program recorder. The recorder seemed to work fine until I plugged in the cables into the recorder. Everything froze at that point. I took the recorder apart and it looked like the belt was slipping. I unplugged the cables and the player started turning again. I plugged in the cables one by one starting with the white then red then black. It stopped when I plugged in the black remote wire. Then I realized that the cable wasn't plugged into the computer. That didn't make any difference, I just thought it was interesting since there was no way that an unplugged cable was sending any stop signal to the recorder. Anyway, I just undid the black cable and have left it out. I am manually starting and stopping the cassette.

I also had an issue where no recording was being made about 3/4 of the time. Turned out to be a bad recorder cable. I've had no problems since I switched to a different one.

I should think that the remote jack would, indeed, stop everything when plugged in. It is a switch that is open until the TI-99/4A closes it. When you plug it in, it interrupts the play/record “ON” line (for the drive motor) so the TI can close it when it is ready to play or record.

...lee

Thanks, Lee! So, if I were to stick an appropriate sized rod in the hole, the motors would spin but the belt would stop? That is what was happening. So I guess my cables or the console aren't transmitting the appropriate signal since with the remote plugged in I can't record or load. I just verified it with both cables. I guess it isn't a problem since I can do both save and load by leaving the wire out. Just trying to understand.

Yeah, normally with the remote jack plugged in, the player won't budge until you press Enter for a Load or Save. It's simple to use a Harbor Freight cheapy DMM to check continuity in the cable or within the recorder itself. I'd tend to suspect that first, since you already found a flaky cable. They get shoved around and everyone seems to like the cables folded neatly against the cases, which cables detest and soon protest with breaks near the connectors.

On my own tapes, I never much used the remote, expect when dubbing with two recorders or back in the early days, using programs that saved data via CS1 or CS2.

When making tapes, I unplugged the Mic connector to record an audio ending to the previous program on the tape and the next one to follow. These interludes usually include any off the cuff comments I or my brother who happened to be there might spout. (Music in background) "That was Sprite Blaster. What a POS!... Hey, bro, grab me a beer while you're up... Get yer own, a-hole!... Next is Sprite Master, maybe it's less chitty? ..." then I'd pause the recorder, hit enter on the TI and unpause the tape to let the mayhem ensue! Funny listening to these tapes decades later!

With my audio intro/exit, plus a handwritten list of programs with the recorder's counter number, I could keep dozens of programs organized on a 90-minute cassette. To find one when loading, I'd lightly hit FFwd to let the reels spin, but have the head touching the tape just enough to catch some audio. When I'd hear the program ScreebaScreeba noise change to the constant lead-in tone or chipmunk talk, I'd return to play to see what the next taped treasure was.

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

Do we know who the OEM manufacturer is of this cassette player? Maybe we can find a service manual for it.

I'm finding a lot of cassette players are just dying - and it's not all belts. It's the plastic pieces that move when the mechanism is shifted from stop/play/FF/rew, etc. I'm on my second dual dubbing deck in the matter of a year because something always goes wrong with them. I have *one* good computer deck left - my Optimus CTR-117 that I purchased in 2000.

I think i have 3 tape decks. Only one connected as there are issues with the other two. My issues seem to be with some drag on the gear or something. Everything appears to work and I get the program sounds to the TI but they always sound warped and I can visibly see the reels slowing down then catching up. I believe my two non-working units both exhibit this same behavior. It's not the cassette itself, confirmed they are fine in working unit. I never bothered to troubleshoot since the third one works fine.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

I think i have 3 tape decks. Only one connected as there are issues with the other two. My issues seem to be with some drag on the gear or something. Everything appears to work and I get the program sounds to the TI but they always sound warped and I can visibly see the reels slowing down then catching up. I believe my two non-working units both exhibit this same behavior. It's not the cassette itself, confirmed they are fine in working unit. I never bothered to troubleshoot since the third one works fine.

When you have a moment, try pressing the play button on your bad units when they are on their sides or flipped upside down. If the sound goes away, I bet you have the same issue. The fix was relatively easy.

• Like 1

Do we know who the OEM manufacturer is of this cassette player? Maybe we can find a service manual for it.

I'm finding a lot of cassette players are just dying - and it's not all belts. It's the plastic pieces that move when the mechanism is shifted from stop/play/FF/rew, etc. I'm on my second dual dubbing deck in the matter of a year because something always goes wrong with them. I have *one* good computer deck left - my Optimus CTR-117 that I purchased in 2000.

It's an official TI Program Recorder PHP2700. The date code is 3316, but I don't know how to decipher that. If I had to guess, I bet the OEM was GE. It looks almost identical to the non-functioning GE "Computer Program Recorder" that came with my 99/4a.

It's an official TI Program Recorder PHP2700. The date code is 3316, but I don't know how to decipher that. If I had to guess, I bet the OEM was GE. It looks almost identical to the non-functioning GE "Computer Program Recorder" that came with my 99/4a.

So, a GE 3-5158B then.

The only place I can find a service manual is with this guy: http://www.stereomanuals.com/man/rep/ge/ge_manuals_3_xx.htm

I've ordered from him before; I wonder if he would have a Texas Instruments one, or if they just pointed to the GE one. Regardless, sounds like something we should eventually get scanned and put on WHTech.

The guy above is pretty fair and makes beautiful copied manuals. He's, however, very particular in how you engage him, etc, to a fault.

• Like 3

So, a GE 3-5158B then.

The only place I can find a service manual is with this guy: http://www.stereomanuals.com/man/rep/ge/ge_manuals_3_xx.htm

I've ordered from him before; I wonder if he would have a Texas Instruments one, or if they just pointed to the GE one. Regardless, sounds like something we should eventually get scanned and put on WHTech.

The guy above is pretty fair and makes beautiful copied manuals. He's, however, very particular in how you engage him, etc, to a fault.

Man this guy is impressive in his attempts to communicate what is acceptable tho.. I am in awe even resorting to highlights

Greg

So, a GE 3-5158B then.

since I have a couple borked TI tape recorders I'm interested in this, do you want to approach him or shall I? :)

Greg

since I have a couple borked TI tape recorders I'm interested in this, do you want to approach him or shall I? :)

Greg

Go for it.

This is how I sent the email to him:

Email Subject: Sanyo/Fisher PCD-5700 & PCD-5700(A) Service Manuals

Email Body:

Greetings -  (I tried to follow all your instructions. <grin>)

I'm looking for a Sanyo/Fisher PCD-5700 and PCD-5700(A) service manuals.  I'm fine with a printed reproduction copy.   I am specifically hoping that these manuals have schematics and detailed block/voltage diagrams.  

You list them on this page of your site as FSHPCD5700-SM and FSHPCD5700(A)-SM.

I live here:

(insert your name and address here)

Can you please let me know how much you will charge me to mail me these two manuals?  I sincerely appreciate it.
  • Like 1

Go for it.

This is how I sent the email to him:

Email Subject: Sanyo/Fisher PCD-5700 & PCD-5700(A) Service Manuals

Email Body:

Greetings -  (I tried to follow all your instructions. <grin>)

I'm looking for a Sanyo/Fisher PCD-5700 and PCD-5700(A) service manuals.  I'm fine with a printed reproduction copy.   I am specifically hoping that these manuals have schematics and detailed block/voltage diagrams.  

You list them on this page of your site as FSHPCD5700-SM and FSHPCD5700(A)-SM.

I live here:

(insert your name and address here)

Can you please let me know how much you will charge me to mail me these two manuals?  I sincerely appreciate it.
Okay I got his reply and I wasn't scolded so that was good and it's about $12 with shipping so I will be ordering that as soon as cash flow works out

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk