IGNORED

Video mods for the 5200

mtarallo

Bryan's UAV is the only one I'm aware of for the 5200 currently. I used to use the lowbudget one from electonicsentimentalities and it was really good as well. About the same amount of work involved but he/they aren't in that business anymore.

Isn't there an RGB mod called Sophia or something like that?

You are correct, there is an RGB mod initially made for the atari 8-bit line but my understanding is that it would work on the 5200 as well. I honestly think that composite and s-video is about as good as you need need with these older consoles. I can understand the need to go RGB with the Genesis, SNES and up but on most of the 8-bits, it seems the softer look of the composite and s-video is really ideal.

I have the SOPHIA mod on my 5200, it’s incredible and the video quality is even better than the S-vid mod that I had. It also helps since I have an OSSC as my main setup now and I don’t have to worry about using an external transcoder since the 5200 now has RGB.

I also have the Sophia mod on my 5200. As ApolloBoy said, the picture is great. Way better than the s-vid mod I took out. I'm running it through a xrgb-mini onto a 55" led and could not be happier.

There is also the VBXE 2.1. Its an Atari XE rgb mod that can be reflashed to work on the 5200. Unfortunately you must install into an Atari XE to reflash.

Haven't heard from Bryan for several days for more boards. Hope all's well, probably just life happening.

I think the last order I placed with Bryan, it took several weeks before he got back with me and then like another week or 2 before I had them in hand.

Honestly the UAV is easy to install for the 5200. If you don't use the RF shield, then you can just solder the socket you get with the UAV to the top of the 4050 chip and then just plug the UAV ontop of that. Don't even have to run power or ground to the UAV since it will get all of that from the 4050 it is piggy backing on. From there you just run the wires you need to your outputs. The UAC is about as simple for the audio side. But you really only need a 10uf cap to solder off R50 and run the other side from the capacitor to the center of the audio out. The 5200 only outputs mono so there isn't really a stereo mod on the 5200 unless you wire in a second pokey. Even then, programs have to be written to use the second pokey to benefit from it and really only the Raster Tracker demo that I'm aware of will do this on the 5200 I believe.

I don't know about Bryan's availability. I can tell you that he is a 1 man operation and that the demand for his UAV and UAC boards I believe excelled his expectations. When he first offered the UAV or I should say when I first learned of it at the beginning of last summer, he was quick to respond and the demand was lower. Then when it was time for me to make another order for a couple more UAVs and UACs, it took him about a month to get back with me and several more weeks after before I had them in hand.

So I would say just be patient as the UAV is very much worth it. Besides you've had your 5200 for how long without a composite mod and I assume playing it in some fashion? I've had excellent dealings with Bryan in the past so really, just chill for a bit and I'm sure he will get back with everyone when time permits for him.

Bryan got back to me last night, got my order in. To answer the above, you're really comparing composite to s-video, so I'd only go the DIY route if you like to build your own circuits. Personally, I can vouch for the UAV and wish I'd have known about it sooner.

I can tell you that on the 3 A5200s I've modded 2 of which used the UAV, that the s-video made a night and day difference compared to the composite. And both of those were a big improvement over the RF of course.

I've modded other 5200's in the past. The one I have currently is a recent pick up. I go threw spurts with my love\hate relationship with the 5200 :)

Pretty funny, that post has been there for 15 years and it has 1 like. When I posted that, there was no such thing as "like". Dumbass Facetubegramtwit shit. :lol:

We should consolidate all of these various hardware fixes/mods post into a new thread so they can more easily be found...