IGNORED

Space War 2000 demo / Phase Zero demo

midwest_cdn

Phaze Zero is a truely excelent game. Granted its not finished, and it may not take you that long to complete the very few levels there are, but the engine is incredible and its very fun just gliding arround shooting things. Im not sure if its worth... actually I dont know what its being sold for... but it is a short game, I think there are only 4 or 5 levels before it crashes (did I hear someone say they found a level select and more levels, or was that for another proto game? I forget).

I've never played SW2k, except a game by the same name on the ST, which was really cool, is this the same game by any chance? it was on an STF Subs Wonderdisk, it'd be soo cool (and fairly simple) to make an 8 player Jag version with a couple of TeamTaps.

Is a downloadable rom image availible for SW2k? I'd love to load it up and have a look at it.

Phaze Zero is a truely excelent game. Granted its not finished, and it may not take you that long to complete the very few levels there are, but the engine is incredible and its very fun just gliding arround shooting things. Im not sure if its worth... actually I dont know what its being sold for... but it is a short game, I think there are only 4 or 5 levels before it crashes (did I hear someone say they found a level select and more levels, or was that for another proto game? I forget).

Yep, there's a level select, but I forget how to do it ;) Something about holding pause or option, then pressing the number of the level you want, then letting go of pause/option (I can't remember which). Think that's it, I've not played it for a while cos my flashcart's had the CD bypass on it :)

Stone

Hello,

i am wondering:

Is there anywhere a list about who owns which rights to which games (in which states)?

I mean, here we talk about SW2K and PhaseZero, both are "unfinished" but available as cartridge (from B&C i think), on JI2 people are discussing about The Realm Fighters, then we had the SoulStar-discussion and recently the discussion about LifeWire. And we have Native, whoms

demo is available from several sources on CD, but which also might

be turned into a complete game in the near future.

Some images float around, some of them with and some without permission of the actual rights-owners.

Wouldn't it be good to have a list telling who's the rights-owner and/or where to purchase "demo"-cartridges/CDs of the games?

Regards

Matthias

Hey there just wondering if anyone owns these and how good are they? I am thinking about buying 1 or both of them.

Phase Zero is Truly an excellent game ENGINE. The game itself is boring and repetative, with no new enemies or goals to accomplish. It's basically the same one level repeated over and over again with different colors and perhaps some of the scenery changed.

But the engine is very well done and worthy of playing.

This all makes sense, in retrospect, as we all now know that the main programmer developed the basic engine of the game to show to Atari and obtain funding for the game. The people he worked with needed to do this so they could invest that money into a Sega Saturn development system. Once they had that dev kit, they abandoned the Jaguar as much as possible while still giving the appearance of making progress on Phase Zero so as to string Atari along and hopefully get more money from them.

There was only one known copy of Phase Zero, which belonged to Mark Santora, who was kind enough to make the image available for everyone to play.

http://home.earthlink.net/~santora/phase.zip

The programmer of Phase Zero was eventually kicked out of the company (which he started) and now the rights are in dispute.

As for Space War 2000... I can't say much good about it. The only reason for owning this game is if you absolutely have to have everything for the Jaguar.

This all makes sense, in retrospect, as we all now know that the main programmer developed the basic engine of the game to show to Atari and obtain funding for the game. The people he worked with needed to do this so they could invest that money into a Sega Saturn development system. Once they had that dev kit, they abandoned the Jaguar as much as possible while still giving the appearance of making progress on Phase Zero so as to string Atari along and hopefully get more money from them.

fukers!

This all makes sense' date=' in retrospect, as we all now know that the main programmer developed the basic engine of the game to show to Atari and obtain funding for the game. The people he worked with needed to do this so they could invest that money into a Sega Saturn development system. Once they had that dev kit, they abandoned the Jaguar as much as possible while still giving the appearance of making progress on Phase Zero so as to string Atari along and hopefully get more money from them.

[/quote']

fukers!

I'm told that the company has managed to snowball this technique over the years for substantial money. Their history is a long one of getting funding for one project and using it to start another, which in turn they use to get funding for the next. I don't believe they actually have a finished game on the market for any platform. By repeatedly changing their company name they manage to keep pulling this off.

Hey there just wondering if anyone owns these and how good are they? I am thinking about buying 1 or both of them.

Phase Zero is Truly an excellent game ENGINE. The game itself is boring and repetative, with no new enemies or goals to accomplish. It's basically the same one level repeated over and over again with different colors and perhaps some of the scenery changed.

But the engine is very well done and worthy of playing.

There was only one known copy of Phase Zero, which belonged to Mark Santora, who was kind enough to make the image available for everyone to play.

http://home.earthlink.net/~santora/phase.zip

The programmer of Phase Zero was eventually kicked out of the company (which he started) and now the rights are in dispute.

As for Space War 2000... I can't say much good about it. The only reason for owning this game is if you absolutely have to have everything for the Jaguar.

Of course this is a biased opinion from a guy who had a run-in with the phaseZero developers and of course want's to dis Space War, since it WAS a competing product with his OWN Battlesphere game. PhaseZero rocks. It would have been as good or BETTER a game than Battlesphere had it been completed, and comes real close now. Boring? Repetative? same old levels? It has a TON more variety in it's levels than Battlesphere and it's "empty space"! :roll: There are about four or five different enemies, maybe less than Battlespher, but not by much. Repetative? Well, Battlesphere is certainly repetative, same with Tempest 2000, Protecoter, a lot of great Jag games. PhaseZero has 9 unique levels, half of which have enemies and missions, the other half are at least fun to explore and wonder at the fabulous Voxel graphics.

Space War 2K? Very good too, considering it's incomplete, there are at least half a dozen enemies to fight, if you can survive long enough, and it's no more "boring" or "repetative" than Phase Zero or Battlesphere. Very good graphics too! Not better or worse than Battlesphere, but different. There are less game modes and options due to it being incomplete, but since it's a LOT harder to get your hands on Battlesphere, and less than half the price of BS/BSG, it's well worth it! Get them both, you will not regret it. Let me know if you need any hints on successfully playing either game, I pretty much wrote the manuals for both (not that there is a physical "manual" or anything). :D

My review&guide for SW2K: (look in "reviews" section)

http://www.metalstuff.com/area64/frames.html

Of course this is a biased opinion from a guy who had a run-in with the phaseZero developers

Run-in? What run-in?

and of course want's to dis Space War, since it WAS a competing product with his OWN Battlesphere game. PhaseZero rocks. It would have been as good or BETTER a game than Battlesphere had it been completed, and comes real close now.

Of course this is a biased opinion from a guy who has had multiple run-ins with a BattleSphere developer. (Do a search on his username here on Atari-Age for documented proof).

As for it being as good as or "better" had it been completed. What kind of nonsense are you spouting off now? You can't compare games based on what you wish they were, only what they are.

Boring? Repetative? same old levels? It has a TON more variety in it's levels than Battlesphere and it's "empty space"!  :roll:  There are about four or five different enemies, maybe less than Battlespher, but not by much.

You must have an ultra-rare unfinished prototype of BattleSphere then, because you are so utterly and completely wrong in your facts that it's only explanation!

I never knew that "4 or 5" was "not much" less than 50.

Repetative? Well, Battlesphere is certainly repetative, same with Tempest 2000, Protecoter, a lot of great Jag games. PhaseZero has 9 unique levels, half of which have enemies and missions, the other half are at least fun to explore and wonder at the fabulous Voxel graphics.

The difference between great games with lots of similar levels and "repetative" games like Phase Zero are the fact that as you progress through the levels in Tempest 2000, you are greeted by new types of webs and new types of enemies and new types of weapons and new music and new challenges. NONE of these things are in Phase Zero, which you seem to want to blindly support simply because doing so will further your cause of attacking me.

The ONLY thing that keeps Phase Zero from being painfully repetative is the fact that the game has fewer than 5 playable levels.

But you and I are in agreement on one thing. It is a wonderful demonstration of Voxel graphics on the Jaguar. It's a fantastic demo.

Space War 2K? Very good too, considering it's incomplete, there are at least half a dozen enemies to fight, if you can survive long enough, and it's no more "boring" or "repetative" than Phase Zero or Battlesphere.

If you "survive" long enough? I didn't know that keeping the game from crashing was known as "surviving". Or, is there some hidden play-value you have discovered in the game? I thought the object of the game was to shoot enemies. I was unaware that the real fun in the game was actually in keeping it from locking up.

Of course, if 4-5 is "not much less than" 50, I suppose that "a half dozen" is impossible to distinguish from 50.

Very good graphics too! Not better or worse than Battlesphere, but different.

In one person's highly dubious biased opinion. (Some people actually consider a high framerate and limited slowdown to be important to graphics)

There are less game modes and options due to it being incomplete, but since it's a LOT harder to get your hands on Battlesphere, and less than half the price of BS/BSG, it's well worth it!

FINALLY! Someone who understands that an unreleased, unboxed, unfinished prototype is worth half as much as a complete polished and finished game.

Get them both, you will not regret it. Let me know if you need any hints on successfully playing either game, I pretty much wrote the manuals for both (not that there is a physical "manual" or anything). :D

Ah-Haaaaa! The truth comes out! Now we see the roots of where this "pro-incomplete-bad-game" bias comes from!

Will somebody please take away TBirds ability to post?

Or at the very least delete the above post to stop this turning into yet another flame thread. Locking it is a mistake since its a serious thread apart from one post.

T-bird, your an idiot. I was NOT attacking YOU or Battlesphere, just trying to show YOUR bias towards both games; one, the competition (or would be) and the other it is well known, because you once told me yourself, that you had a problem with the PhaseZero developers of one sort or another and hate one or more of them for whatever reasons. Hence, anything you say about them or their products will be biased. PhaseZero has 9 VERY UNIQUE levels and quite a few different enemies in it. But what ever. I can't believe I used to stand up for you when other's critisized you. ALL you do IS critisize others! I happen to love your game, and have NEVER attacked it or said ANYTHING bad about it or your other products except that I can't get a second copy and have no need for your other products until I get another copy or two. But you are a jerk, an egomaniac, and an all around putz. But everyone seems to know that anyway, so in the future I will not worry about people getting a biased opinion from you, I'll just assume they already know that your opinion means ZERO. It seems to me that ANYONE with half a brain ends up on your black list sooner or later, because they get sick of your crap and arguments start. It took me some time hanging out here and JI2 to figure you out and realize who the real jerk is, certainly not the people that argue WITH you...but all is good. I will now add you once and for all to my ignore list, so you no longer need worry about me reading or replying to your posts. Please, feel free to do the same to me.

If I don't respond to further attacks from T-bird, it is because I have not seen his post and don't care too.

Or at the very least delete the above post to stop this turning into yet another flame thread. Locking it is a mistake since its a serious thread apart from one post.

I made a serious post with serious opinions and then get attacked with bogus claims that imply crazy things like BattleSphere has only slightly more enemies than 5... yet, it's suppsedly ME who's "starting flamewars"???

If someone poked a hornet nest with a stick and then got stung, would you decide the solution is to exerrminate all the viscious hornets?

I made a serious post with serious opinions and then get attacked with bogus claims that imply crazy things like BattleSphere has only slightly more enemies than 5... yet, it's suppsedly ME who's "starting flamewars"???

If someone poked a hornet nest with a stick and then got stung, would you decide the solution is to exerrminate all the viscious hornets?

You viscious hornet you! :D

Learn to just let things drop. This was a serious thread about a pair of proto games, now its become another endless argument-about-an-argument-about-an-argument kinda thread. Thank you for ruining another promising discusion.

T-bird, your an idiot. I was NOT attacking YOU or Battlesphere, just trying to show YOUR bias towards both games;

You're just as biased against BattleSphere.

Hence, anything you say about them or their products will be biased. PhaseZero has 9 VERY UNIQUE levels and quite a few different enemies in it.

Unique? Whatever. So, if I change the color of the stars in each level of BattleSphere, that makes them "unique"? Because that's basically all they do in the various Phase Zero levels. The colors are different and they put the waypoint in a different location. They change the type of trees you see sometimes as well. But even Aircars had that much.

But what ever. I can't believe I used to stand up for you when other's critisized you. ALL you do IS critisize others!

What are you talking about? You seem to have a selective memory.

I happen to love your game, and have NEVER attacked it or said ANYTHING bad about it or your other products except that I can't get a second copy and have no need for your other products until I get another copy or two.

To say that something I worked on is only "a little bit better" than a piece of excrement like SW2K is the worst kind of attack in the world. You are entitled to an opinion on subjective things like gameplay or graphics... but where do you get off saying that Phase Zero has nearly as many (4-5) enemies as BattleSphere??? This is a deliberate misrepresentation of the facts. BattleSphere has 10 times as many enemies and you know it. You chose to downplay this fact to support your attacks.

But you are a jerk, an egomaniac, and an all around putz.

If I had a nickel for everyone who told me that I could buy a gumball.

But everyone seems to know that anyway, so in the future I will not worry about people getting a biased opinion from you, I'll just assume they already know that your opinion means ZERO.

Who are they going to trust? Me, or the guy who says that 5 is "nearly" 50?

It seems to me that ANYONE with half a brain ends up on your black list sooner or later, because they get sick of your crap and arguments start.

True, but only the people with half a brain seem to keep attacking me with their wild innacurate opinions. People with WHOLE brains know that I can back myself up with facts and that in spite of the fact they may not like my writing style I am telling the truth.

If I don't respond to further attacks from T-bird, it is because I have not seen his post and don't care too.

We were just talking about people in another thread about the people who disconnect from online games when they are losing so that the loss doesn't count on their record. Funny how life imitates art?

Lock this, lock this NOW, please.

I cant believe how quickly this forum is going to hell.

You really have to learn to let things drop. People can have different opinions than you and you have to learn to tolerate them. If everyone just posted "close this topic" when someone posted an opinion you didn't like, there would be nothing but requests to close topics!

You really have to learn to let things drop. People can have different opinions than you and you have to learn to tolerate them.

I find this quite funny coming from Thunderbird :D

-Kevin

I forgot to mention that if you download the Phase Zero Program, you will need to have an Alpine Board or a FlashROM cart to play it with. You can also burn it onto EPROMS and put them in a socketed cart.

Man u go shopping for a day and you come back to flames from hell.But anyways yeah thanx for the opinions.I think opposed to flaming each other to shit, just respect the other persons opinion. The thread i started about the next gen consoles I was very interested in .But I am not going to grab my cube in hand and start bashing xboxers because they think there system is better.Much like this thread. And no thunderbird is not in the wrong.Everyone is allowed an opinion.If not mistaken the usa and atari age hasnt turned into a facist state the last time I checked. Yes you can disagree but insults are typically from a desperate people . And instead of flaming why not try add more to the conversation of the topic? Thunder did try that with the whole engine thing.Case in point banjo Kazooie or tooie.Great game engine, but for most the bear and bird was to " kiddy " for most . To bad both were killer games.

Anyways i think I will probaly purchase them down the road, I need some networking stuff for my jag first.

Archived