IGNORED

AtGames 2018 speculation thread

So the Sega unit that went through the FCC and has a manual posted on their site in August is totally dead (i.e. not coming out at all)?

I'm not sure you'll get a response confirming anything, but I do wonder if we can essentially see what was planned for a 2018 release with the Legends Flashback system?

It includes some Genesis games, has Genesis controller ports, and presumably is running on the same hardware platform with Genesis Plus GX the emulator for the small contingent of Genesis titles included that are included alongside the arcade and NES games. And if plans are to take advantage of the SD slot by enabling rom loading via a firmware update, all I assume we'll be missing is the cartridge port and the selection of built-in games.

Hopefully Bill can shoot down or basically confirm what I'm assuming there.

Edited by Atariboy

I thought Sega was going to make their mini console themselves, which was pushed back to 2019 because they were (as we all were) woefully disappointed in the crap AtGames released last year.

Bill has said in previous posts that he can't really give any details, that it's up for Sega to handle announcements.

To me, I sort of got the impression reading his posts that while the product is being revamped and a new party is involved, that AtGames isn't out. They're just changing the direction for 2019.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Weird, if there's a new partner why is AtGames involved? That's like getting remarried and still going clubbing with your ex. An ex who burned your house down and crashed your car into a tree.

I just can speculate on if AtGames is still involved and why that might be the case. But if they are, one good reason probably is that they're very experienced in the plug and play field.

Even if there was no deeper involvement than handling distribution in North America in exchange for a slice of the pie, AtGames has a proven record of getting product in this category into a variety of retailers in what can be a challenging marketplace. If I were Sega, I'm not so sure I'd just want to toss that experience aside on a last minute whim.

They also have what appears to be a solid HD capable hardware platform and connections with manufacturers in Asia that are used to working with AtGames. Even if going in a different direction on the software side, there's no obvious reason evident to me why Sega would want to leave this hardware behind.

And lastly, I'm sure there's plenty of contracts to think about here. Even if Sega wanted to sever ties completely, they very well may be unable to until the terms conclude. So it's perhaps work with AtGames in some capacity or sit on the fence during a time when the plug and play market is booming.

I'm sure Bill knows, but I'm equally confident he won't be telling anytime soon. :)

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I can agree to a point but we're talking about one of the biggest gaming companies that ever existed. If they can't do without a 3rd rate Chinese knock off company I'm not so sure Sega deserves to enter the PnP arena. If you haven't guessed I'm not an AtGames fan. I haven't liked the portable and other flashbacks I've owned in the past and am unsure if I'll be buying any of their products this year, despite having some interest in this years line up, which has started to wane as details and early reviews have trickled out. I'm always hopeful but Charlie Brown can only get the football pulled away from him so many times before he really starts to look like a gullible idiot.

• Like 2

We're also talking about a Sega that's fast approaching 20 years removed from the hardware marketplace, a Sega that does very little in-house game development, and a Sega which publishes a very small number of games each year.

All too often these days, they have the feel of a holding company and little else. And I don't think they ever have handled any sort of emulation projects in-house, so if they're getting someone like M2 like we're all hoping to handle the emulation core for 2019, I don't think it's too big of a stretch that they retain AtGames for handling distribution and manufacturing.

But like I said, I could be completely off base here. And like you said, Sega isn't without resources of their own despite being years removed from the glory days. Perhaps they have severed the relationship entirely and AtGames is fully out of the picture.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

We're also talking about a Sega that's fast approaching 20 years removed from the hardware marketplace, a Sega that does very little in-house game development, and a Sega which publishes a very small number of games each year.

All too often these days, they have the feel of a holding company and little else. And I don't think they ever have handled any sort of emulation projects in-house, so if they're getting someone like M2 like we're all hoping to handle the emulation core for 2019, I don't think it's too big of a stretch that they retain AtGames for handling distribution and manufacturing.

But like I said, I could be completely off base here. And like you said, Sega isn't without resources of their own. Perhaps they have severed the relationship entirely.

Very true, I keep forgetting Sega has fallen far from their former selves. If they use AtGames for distribution and manufacturing the physical units only, then that's fine. It's about all I'd trust them with.

I'm not sure you'll get a response confirming anything, but I do wonder if we can essentially see what was planned for a 2018 release with the Legends Flashback system?

I might be off base there in thinking the Legends Flashback console included several Genesis games and likely was running the same homebrew emulator (Genesis Plus GX) that AtGames planned for their 2018 Sega Genesis system.

I just assumed when I saw Judge Dredd in the game list that it was the Genesis game seen in the manual submission on the FCC site for the now cancelled/delayed Sega Genesis system, and had been shifted over to here so as to not waste the license now that things have changed with Sega. But this post from late last month that I just read is making me doubt that assumption.

It is shown in the console games menu in John Hancock's video review though. And the small screenshot does resemble the Genesis game (And the "Champions World..." screenshot resembles the Genesis game Champions World Class Soccer, and I believe Phelios was a Genesis exclusive back in the day).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Question on the Blast systems: I saw the video on pairing controllers on Youtube, so it looks like any controller can be paired with any dongle. If we buy more than one and pair more than one controller with the dongle, is that how 2 player games will work?

Also, I saw mention of an extra set of paddles for the 4 player games. Are those paddles the same as the ones that ship with unit? e.g. Could we just buy two units and pair 2 sets of paddle controllers or is a different thing we'll need to buy directly from AtGames?

Question on the Blast systems: I saw the video on pairing controllers on Youtube, so it looks like any controller can be paired with any dongle. If we buy more than one and pair more than one controller with the dongle, is that how 2 player games will work?

Also, I saw mention of an extra set of paddles for the 4 player games. Are those paddles the same as the ones that ship with unit? e.g. Could we just buy two units and pair 2 sets of paddle controllers or is a different thing we'll need to buy directly from AtGames?

The P1 Blast! controllers are keyed to their respective dongles, so they can't be used on other systems. The P2 Blast! controllers can be paired to any of the Blast! systems at any time. Same thing for the paddles, although of course they'll only work with the one unit.

• Like 1

The P1 Blast! controllers are keyed to their respective dongles, so they can't be used on other systems. The P2 Blast! controllers can be paired to any of the Blast! systems at any time. Same thing for the paddles, although of course they'll only work with the one unit.

Thanks Bill!

These systems seem to be proving popular! Last night I was looking at walmart.com at the Arcade Legends Flashback and noticed my local store only had 1 left in stock. So I went ahead and ordered for pick up today. When I went there tonight, I walked around a bit after picking it up and found the shelves where they sit.

It was pretty much wiped clean. There was one Vol. 1 Blast and two Vol. 2 Blasts left. The Legends, Vol. 3, and Activision Blasts were sold out. As were the Arcade Legends Flashback and the Atari Flashback 9. I didn't see a shelf tag for the Namco Blast, so I'm not sure if they're carrying it locally.

I pre-ordered the Activision Blast and Vol. 3 Blast and they're supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'm going to go set up the Arcade Legends Flashback and give it a whirl icon_smile.gif

Edited by Sardonyx
  • Like 1

Well this is interesting. Am I missing something or is this version of the Namco Blast different than the one Hancock reviewed? This one contains NES ports and not arcade ports and Hancocks had Tower of Druaga. If the argument is that is the is the "Walmart Exclusive" why did it go from the arcade ports to the inferior NES ports?

Hancocks original:

Edited by AtariLeaf

The initial production runs include home versions of those games, but later production runs will feature the arcade versions. We'll let you know when the switch is made at retail.

Wow, that's an amazing bait-and-switch. I'm not one of the AtGames haters, but this is the exactly the kind of thing that creates them.

Wow, that's an amazing bait-and-switch. I'm not one of the AtGames haters, but this is the exactly the kind of thing that creates them.

I agree it's not good, but it's not a bait and switch. It requires different hardware to run the arcade versions and it just wasn't ready in time. The intention was always to run with the home versions until the arcade versions made it into the channel. That was of course never made fully clear.

If someone bought one already, please send an email to info@atgames.net explaining the situation.

..... The intention was always to run with the home versions until the arcade versions made it into the channel. That was of course never made fully clear.

I am not sure I understand.

There would have been 2 versions back-to-back? Would it have been clear on the package which one was which?

Why not release only one (maybe even the NES given the target) or 2 separate .... but the in-flight change (given it even requires different HW) seems so weird...

Both your website and at least Slovinist unit are/are-mentioning only the Arcade part, given your previous statement that it has not reached yet the channel did the NES version actually got sold?

I am not sure I understand.

There would have been 2 versions back-to-back? Would it have been clear on the package which one was which?

Why not release only one (maybe even the NES given the target) or 2 separate .... but the in-flight change (given it even requires different HW) seems so weird...

Both your website and at least Slovinist unit are/are-mentioning only the Arcade part, given your previous statement that it has not reached yet the channel did the NES version actually got sold?

Right, the target market for these won't care which version as long as it plays well. Our group obviously cares. I asked for a way to tell the runs apart when the arcade versions make their way to the channel. We'll see. I'll keep you all posted.

I agree it's not good, but it's not a bait and switch.

Phoenixdownita makes the point I was going to make. I saw a YouTube review from John Hancock (slovinist) posted September 28 clearly showing Namco arcade games being played. And the Armchair Arcade site claimed Arcade ROMs for the Namco Blast! when the question was explicitly asked there, again on September 28. So to hear about a substitution this late in the game may not be "bait and switch" -- but it is easy to see how it can be perceived as such by customers.

I know I would be disappointed and upset if I had bought one of these units based on what I had read and seen on the Internet before today.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 1

Phoenixdownita makes the point I was going to make. I saw a YouTube review from John Hancock (slovinist) posted September 28 clearly showing Namco arcade games being played, and the Armchair Arcade site claimed Arcade ROMs when I explicitly asked the question there regarding the Namco Blast!. So to hear about this substitution this late in the game may not be "bait and switch" -- but it is easy to see how it can be perceived as such by customers.

I know I would be disappointed and upset if I had bought one of these units based on what I had read and seen on the Internet before today.

Understood. There was always going to be a limited run of home console versions and then a running change to only arcade versions. It just seems like the home console versions are going to remain at retail a bit longer than anticipated. I'm not happy about it either, but if anyone is concerned, they should definitely get in touch with AtGames at the email address I provided. They'll do what they can to make it right.

There was always going to be a limited run of home console versions and then a running change to only arcade versions. It just seems like the home console versions are going to remain at retail a bit longer than anticipated.

Honestly, from AtGames' point of view, it would have been better just to go with the NES versions for the 2018 product, and save the arcade ROMs as an upgrade for the 2019 version. It would have been just fine for the mass audience, and us enthusiasts would have gotten what we've come to expect from AtGames - a product that's great for the casual audience but doesn't check every one of our boxes. Instead, the mis-communication over the running change is the sort of thing that hurts trust in a brand, and not just with the haters.

I won't say any more on the topic, except to say I still plan to buy AtGames products, but I won't be an early adopter.

• Like 1