IGNORED

AtGames 2018 speculation thread

Yes, it was supposed to be the arcade versions, but due to an unforeseen production issue, it was switched to the NES version. The timing is the only real disconnect - at the time of those statements and the time of the reviews, it was still on track for the arcade versions to be on there - and no way to get the message out properly.

• Like 1

Does the situation AtGames is in look bad? Yes. Should they have had checks to try and avoid this situation all together? Yes. Is it the end of the world, the company should go down in flames bad? No. I would encourage all to give AtGames some benefit of the doubt and assume (some) positive intent. They are trying to create brand new product lines that are more readily accessible to the average consumer. Medium to hard core retro gamers are being addressed, but getting products into the hands of the many outweighs products design for the few (most of the time). Sure, AtGames deserves flak for the situation they are in. But, let's try and see the forest through the trees here which is trying to spread the accessibility and enthusiasm classic games have. I think people need to check themselves just a bit on this situation, especially when we are not talking about a product that is actually tangible unlike other projects (cough, Atari VCS, cough).

• Like 1

A bit of YouTube drama isn't going to cause AtGames any issues. Few will care about the situation with this Blast unit and even fewer will ever be aware of this situation.

The most damaging thing for AtGames was years of horrible Genesis audio quality that has made their name synonymous with poor quality among videogame forum-goers that pay attention to classic gaming products, and made many of those people turn a blind eye to obvious improvements of significance with the AtGames product line in the past couple of years.

Yet even that reputation earned from their old Genesis hardware has obviously not done much harm to the company since the casual segment that represents their core customer base has basically been satisfied and the retailers keep coming back each Christmas (although that reputation possibly has came between them and Sega in recent months, but we're not privy to just what's going on behind the scenes there so it's premature to assume that relationship has been severed).

They should've just released these as two different products though. Absolutely nothing wrong with a NES based system with classic 8-bit ports of Namco arcade classics (Although where's Sky Kid? :(). Puzzling why they decided not to differentiate here and be up front about it, since the decision doesn't benefit them in any way.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Wal-mart's page for the Bandai Namco Flashback Blast! shows arcade version screenshots of Pac-Man and Galaga but explicitly mentions Pac-Mania :

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bandai-Namco-Flashback-Blast-Pac-Man-PAC-MANIA-Retro-Gaming-Yellow-818858029629/370082388

GameStop's pre-order page for the product explicitly indicates Tower of Druaga is included and is $10.00 more expensive than the Wal-mart version :

https://www.gamestop.com/collectibles/consoles/bandai-namco-flashback-blast/167268#media

We know now how to identify the better version, but it is too little, too late.

Wal-mart's page for the Bandai Namco Flashback Blast! shows arcade version screenshots of Pac-Man and Galaga but explicitly mentions Pac-Mania :

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bandai-Namco-Flashback-Blast-Pac-Man-PAC-MANIA-Retro-Gaming-Yellow-818858029629/370082388

GameStop's pre-order page for the product explicitly indicates Tower of Druaga is included and is $10.00 more expensive than the Wal-mart version :

https://www.gamestop.com/collectibles/consoles/bandai-namco-flashback-blast/167268#media

We know now how to identify the better version, but it is too little, too late.

Please don't spread misinformation. Bill has already stated the one's at GameStop will be NES versions as well for the first runs.

• Like 1

Please don't spread misinformation. Bill has already stated the one's at GameStop will be NES versions as well for the first runs.

Unfortunately not everyone reads this AA thread before they buy. If the GameStop page is going to be up on November 1 unchanged when the units are due for sale, people will complain. The Wal-mart page claims Pac-Mania as an exclusive, which he says it isn't going to be. Wal-mart might have something to say about that.

Unfortunately not everyone reads this AA thread before they buy. If the GameStop page is going to be up on November 1 unchanged when the units are due for sale, people will complain. The Wal-mart page claims Pac-Mania as an exclusive, which he says it isn't going to be. Wal-mart might have something to say about that.

Who said the one at GameStop would have Pac-Mania? It's supposed to have Tower of Druaga.

I just want to make one final statement here regarding the Bandai-Namco Blast! for clarity, and then leave it at that. What's in all of the stores for the foreseeable future is the home console versions of the games. So obviously if you're expecting something else, like the arcade originals, please do not purchase until there's a future official announcement that the product has changed. Thanks.

• Like 3

I just want to make one final statement here regarding the Bandai-Namco Blast! for clarity, and then leave it at that. What's in all of the stores for the foreseeable future is the home console versions of the games. So obviously if you're expecting something else, like the arcade originals, please do not purchase until there's a future official announcement that the product has changed. Thanks.

Thanks. I really have mixed feelings here. Anyway please also let us know how to tell the difference from the box as once the arcade version is released MANY retailers will be still be selling the NES version and very unlikely would know or care about the difference.

I want to get the arcade version with USB/HDMI plug and play as I already have cheap-o $25 Bittboy for NES versions.

Edited by thetick1

Thanks. I really have mixed feelings here. Anyway please also let us know how to tell the difference from the box as once the arcade version is released MANY retailers will be still be selling the NES version and very unlikely would know or care about the difference.

I want to get the arcade versions with HDMI plug and play as I already have cheap-o $25 Bitboy for NES version.

It's my understanding at this time that that won't be an issue. We'll see what eventually happens.

Yes, it was supposed to be the arcade versions, but due to an unforeseen production issue, it was switched to the NES version. The timing is the only real disconnect - at the time of those statements and the time of the reviews, it was still on track for the arcade versions to be on there - and no way to get the message out properly.

Excuse me, but how can some of these arcade versions be switched to the NES version when there was never such a port for certain obscure games, so is this even an issue on Legends Flashback?!

Edited by TrekkiELO

Uh, just noticed this in the Blast faq page. (emphasis mine)

https://blast.atgames.net/faq

post-36731-0-71426000-1539926261_thumb.png

EDIT: obviously I refer to the "introducing the arcade version."

NOTE

I was looking for the list of incompatible TVs as mentioned by Bill here

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/283979-whose-getting-a-flashback-blast-what-do-you-guys-think-of-them/?do=findComment&comment=4136807

which is as follows:

HP LC3260N, HP LT3700, LG32LG70, OLEVIA 237-T12, Panasonic TC-26LX20, Panasonic TC-L37DT30, Panasonic TC-58AX800U, Samsung PN42C450, Samsung UN32H5500AF, Samsung UN40C7000WF, Samsung UN40D6500VFXZA, Samsung LN32B640R3F, Sharp LC-19SB27UT, Sharp LC32E67U, Sony KDL-32XBR9, Sony KDL 32Ex400, Sony KDL-32BX420, Sony KDL-32EX500, Sony KDL-46HX729, Sony KDL-50R550A, Vizio VO320E, Vizio VOJ320F1A, Vizio XVT373SV

Is it for all Blast! or only some? (the TV list I mean)

Excuse me, but how can some of these arcade versions be switched to the NES version when there was never such a port for certain obscure games, so is this even an issue on Legends Flashback?!

All of the games on the Bandai Namco Blast had an NES or Famicom (Japanese NES) release.

The Legends Flashback is all 2600 versions except for Space Invaders which is the port that's been on the Atari Flashbacks for a couple years.

Just to clarify, so except for 6 console games the latter has all arcade versions then?

Look here

Here you go:

Arcade:

• Act-Fancer Cybernetick Hyper Weapon
  • Astro Fantasia
  • Bad Dudes vs. Dragon-ninja
  • Break Thru
  • BurgerTime
  • Burnin’ Rubber
  • Cluster Buster
  • Commando
  • Crude Buster
  • Darwin 4078
  • Dig Dug
  • Disco No.1
  • Edward Randy, The Cliffhanger
  • Express Raider
  • Fighting Ice Hockey
  • Forgotten Worlds
  • Galaga
  • Ghouls ‘n Ghosts
  • Heavy Barrel
  • HyperDyne Side Arms
  • Joe & Mac: Caveman Ninja
  • Joe & Mac Returns
  • Lock ‘n Chase
  • Mappy
  • Meikyu Hunter G
  • Pirate Ship Higemaru
  • Pro Bowling
  • Pro Tennis
  • Rally-X
  • Rootin’ Tootin’
  • Scrum Try
  • Secret Agent/Sly Spy
  • Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
  • Shoot Out
  • Side Pocket
  • Sky Kid
  • Strider
  • Super BurgerTime
  • Super Doubles Tennis
  • Super Pool III
  • Super Real Darwin
  • Terranean
  • Tournament Pro Golf
Console:
  • Champions World Class Soccer (Genesis)
  • Judge Dredd (Genesis)
  • Mega Man (NES)
  • Mega Man 2 (NES)
  • Phelios (Genesis)
  • Tetris (Famicom)
  • Like 1

Uh, just noticed this in the Blast faq page. (emphasis mine)

https://blast.atgames.net/faq

attachicon.gifBlastNamcoFAQ.PNG

EDIT: obviously I refer to the "introducing the arcade version."

NOTE

I was looking for the list of incompatible TVs as mentioned by Bill here

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/283979-whose-getting-a-flashback-blast-what-do-you-guys-think-of-them/?do=findComment&comment=4136807

which is as follows:

HP LC3260N, HP LT3700, LG32LG70, OLEVIA 237-T12, Panasonic TC-26LX20, Panasonic TC-L37DT30, Panasonic TC-58AX800U, Samsung PN42C450, Samsung UN32H5500AF, Samsung UN40C7000WF, Samsung UN40D6500VFXZA, Samsung LN32B640R3F, Sharp LC-19SB27UT, Sharp LC32E67U, Sony KDL-32XBR9, Sony KDL 32Ex400, Sony KDL-32BX420, Sony KDL-32EX500, Sony KDL-46HX729, Sony KDL-50R550A, Vizio VO320E, Vizio VOJ320F1A, Vizio XVT373SV

Is it for all Blast! or only some? (the TV list I mean)

Add the LG OLED55B7P on there as I have that one and my Atari Flashback Blast vol. 3 doesn't have sound with it. My Activision Blast works fine with it. So I'd assume it varies. They offered me a replacement that's supposed to fix the issue if I send it in, so I'm assuming there's at least 2 different hardware revisions. Not sure if it's specific to one version of the Blast or another.

Well, communication problems aside... if someone was interested in getting both to have a handy set of plug-n-play devices to compare and contrast home and arcade versions, this is a good opportunity. Silver lining, I suppose?

• Like 1

Well, communication problems aside... if someone was interested in getting both to have a handy set of plug-n-play devices to compare and contrast home and arcade versions, this is a good opportunity. Silver lining, I suppose?

That seems like a healthy way to look at it. They're ALL home games. They're licensed and legal, too. Can't have too much Mappy.

How come there isn't any positive talk about the Activision stick? It's like a pocket-sized Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition, with only the good stuff.

• Like 2

I'm going to throw some oil on the fire here, just because this is the internets.

For starters, note that I'm absolutely going to buy an Atari Flashback Gold Premium Stuffed Crust 9 when I can get one (this particular product line-up has a decent track record), but I still have to throw my two cents in:

Why is it that for most, if not every AT product, something f*cks up and we are told the real issue was communications? Like, at every turn "the real mistake was not communicating the info in time". I feel like if you have to communicate something better, every time, at every release, the problem can't just be about communication. I admit that Bill's input does give me a more positive image of AT, but more in a "there is yet hope for them" way, and not in a "oh I was mistaken this whole time" way.

There shouldn't be the need for more explanations/communications if business was sailing along smoothly. I don't need PR telling me things were bad before, but they are okay now, I want the product and/or it's manufacturer's reputation to speak for itself in a positive manner.

And this is why no matter what people say here, I'm never buying an AT Sega Geneses Classic. I'm the mainstream consumer that can't risk his money of maybe-good-maybe-shit products.

Edited by Montrealer
  • Like 1

Why is it that for most, if not every AT product, something f*cks up and we are told the real issue was communications? Like, at every turn "the real mistake was not communicating the info in time". I feel like if you have to communicate something better, every time, at every release, the problem can't just be about communication.

Because it's complex to bring hardware to market at a value price? I think the "communication" in question here isn't just between Joe Tuber and the public ... there's also the designers/developers, the rights holders (these are all licensed, which can't be simple), the retail distributors (who have expectations and demands of their own), the manufacturers (in China, making big production runs of these), and maybe some other parties we don't see? I can easily imagine how a seemingly small slip-up in communication anywhere up and down the line could have the impact we're seeing here.

I still think the OH NOES of the YouTube set is overblown. So they're NES/Famicom rather than arcade versions as "promised" by Hancock. Okay. Buy them or not, the word is spreading in either case. As home versions go, NES ports of Namco games are okay.

This isn't exactly "this product doesn't work at all" (like some of the Classic NES peripherals from a few years ago) or "this product literally catches on fire and destroys your property" (as I experienced a several years ago with some Wii rechargeable batteries). If disappointment over the discount video game is the worst thing that happens to a person this quarter, that's pretty good.

• Like 5