IGNORED

AtGames 2018 speculation thread

I still think the OH NOES of the YouTube set is overblown. So they're NES/Famicom rather than arcade versions as "promised" by Hancock. Okay. Buy them or not, the word is spreading in either case. As home versions go, NES ports of Namco games are okay.

Well when MSI did it it ended poorly (not saying AtGames is as bad, just stating that the outrage is understandably the same):

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TV-Arcade-Ms-Pacman/320300024

post-36731-0-81160500-1539965611.png

These single-game plug-n-plays need to end!

Especially when it cosmetically resembles the old Jakks units from 10+ years ago that did it better, with more games.

Maybe, maybe not.

But the comments/discontents are about the "non-arcadiness" (<-- that's just fugly) of it as well as poor quality of the joysticks that ... well ... break.

With the Atari Flashback 9, I noticed that while playing Missile Command & Jungle Hunt the button press doesn't register sometimes. I played those two games with the pack-in controller & also an original controller and the same issue occurs.

Is it possible for this issue to be corrected in a future firmware update?

Because it's complex to bring hardware to market at a value price? I think the "communication" in question here isn't just between Joe Tuber and the public ... there's also the designers/developers, the rights holders (these are all licensed, which can't be simple), the retail distributors (who have expectations and demands of their own), the manufacturers (in China, making big production runs of these), and maybe some other parties we don't see? I can easily imagine how a seemingly small slip-up in communication anywhere up and down the line could have the impact we're seeing here.

I still think the OH NOES of the YouTube set is overblown. So they're NES/Famicom rather than arcade versions as "promised" by Hancock. Okay. Buy them or not, the word is spreading in either case. As home versions go, NES ports of Namco games are okay.

This isn't exactly "this product doesn't work at all" (like some of the Classic NES peripherals from a few years ago) or "this product literally catches on fire and destroys your property" (as I experienced a several years ago with some Wii rechargeable batteries). If disappointment over the discount video game is the worst thing that happens to a person this quarter, that's pretty good.

Let me state that I have watched 0 videos bashing AT and/or their products, only I am aware of them. I get direct feedback from members of collector groups so the facts and opinions I go off of aren't as volatile as YT's comment sections or YT content creators in dire need of views.

But yeah, your first statement goes with what I said : it's the development process which needs improving. I was merely highlighting that every subsequent PR effort is band-aids on broken limbs and that it'd be best if limbs were not in a position to break in the first place.

The metaphorical limbs here are AT's rep and people's enjoyment of their products.

With the Atari Flashback 9, I noticed that while playing Missile Command & Jungle Hunt the button press doesn't register sometimes. I played those two games with the pack-in controller & also an original controller and the same issue occurs.

Is it possible for this issue to be corrected in a future firmware update?

That's the first I'm hearing of that issue. Please send an email to info@atgames.net for support.

• Like 1

I submitted the draft press releases for an all 2018 Atari hardware press release, as well as for an all 2018 Atari software press release. Once those hit, the game lists and other details are all fair game. Of course, if you just want to know what has the most games and Pitfall II, it's the Atari Flashback 9 Gold (130 games).

Have the game lists for the Flashback 9 Gold been announced?

It looks like the Wal-mart product page screenshots finally put up screenshots that actually represent the product you will receive if you buy one and, unsurprisingly look like ass.

Blocking your critics and naysayers on twitter is the kind of thing you see from an Atari or a Polymega, so crassgames is in great company here.

Edited by Great Hierophant

It looks like the Wal-mart product page screenshots finally put up screenshots that actually represent the product you will receive if you buy one and, unsurprisingly look like ass.

Blocking your critics and naysayers on twitter is the kind of thing you see from an Atari or a Polymega, so crassgames is in great company here.

They do better than that ....

post-36731-0-24390100-1540013442_thumb.png

I know it's pretty standard but still .... way to build up customer trust ... yeah why event trying to verify anything ... it costs money.

Check the text, Video is 1080i but then Video is 720p ... I guess it can do both.

I know it's pretty standard but still .... way to build up customer trust ... yeah why event trying to verify anything ... it costs money.

Check the text, Video is 1080i but then Video is 720p ... I guess it can do both.

Thanks for pointing the 1080i/720p thing out. I'll ask for it to be fixed.

The only ones that are being blocked on Twitter are the ones who crossed a line into actual harassment. And companies do it all of the time, obviously. It's just a practice we've never had to do in the past because it never devolved into what it has devolved into now. Unfortunately, Twitter is much worse than Facebook in that area, because it's much easier to be anonymous on the former, and we know that anonymity empowers people to do things they'd never do if their real identities were on the line (and Facebook has much better features for dealing with people before resorting to blocking).

• Like 2

Don't know if it's been mentioned but do you know Bill the price the paddles will be and if there will be any deluxe Flashback 9's that will include paddles? Also any word on distribution in Canada? Atgames website doesn't seem to mention us.

Don't know yet. Sorry.

• Like 1

Thanks! I noticed that list has 120 games. I've seen two different images for the box art, one shows 120 and the other shows 130. Do we know if one is going to be retailer specific or if it's just a change in the games somewhere along the way?

Where did you see the box art with 130 games?

Disregard...Amazon shows the box with 130.

Edited by Atari Nut

Thanks for pointing the 1080i/720p thing out. I'll ask for it to be fixed.

Yayyyyy, Walmart fixed it (now it's all 720P) ... which is great if it wasn't for

https://blast.atgames.net/

post-36731-0-50785900-1540191492_thumb.png

It seems also the pictures on the blast! website for the Namco unit now reflect the NES version:

https://blast.atgames.net/blast_family/5/game_list

(PacMan with 2 red ghosts etc...)

Yayyyyy, Walmart fixed it (now it's all 720P) ... which is great if it wasn't for

https://blast.atgames.net/

1080i.png

It seems also the pictures on the blast! website for the Namco unit now reflect the NES version:

https://blast.atgames.net/blast_family/5/game_list

(PacMan with 2 red ghosts etc...)

EDIT: I was just told that the BN Blast! is 720p, while the others are 1080i, so that will need to be changed to reflect that.

Bill, will AtGames still be making a Genesis unit this year? I've heard the widespread news of the "Genesis/MegaDrive Mini" being taken from AtGames, but I wasn't clear if ppl were just calling the Genesis Flashback a mini and confusing terms, or if it was something completely different.

So far, I'm really looking forward to the Atari Gold unit and was still hoping for a Genesis unit (mentioned earlier this year) with a better / more common emulator. Also, from what you said earlier this year, they were releasing another Genesis portable without fixing the emulation/sound issue. Is this still accurate?