IGNORED

'Ignored' people should know they are

Due to some inane posts of late, I have recently become acquainted with the 'ignore' function. I thought it would be interesting if the ignore function also allowed for the following:

(a) the 'statistics' page would indicate the top 10 ignored people;

(b) each user would know the total number (not names of) those who have selected 'ignore' to their posts.

I don't know if this is possible with the current software, but I thought it raised some interesting possibilities... what ya think?

I'm not sure I dig this idea, guys. We've got a fairly constructive community here...do we really want to introduce a popularity (or lack thereof) contest, and all of its attendant baggage, to the mix? :roll:

I just see this idea as having the potential to become really nasty and destructive to the goodwill that exists here most of the time (though not so much of late, as it would seem).

I see myself siding witht he previous two people here. I really don't think we need to have a listing to feed the trolls here. Most eventually leave or find themselves banned. And listing who for who is the most banned isn't the way to get rid of trolling IMHO it would only incourage it more.

And as for a list of who is ignoring who wat does it matter if I am ignoring anyone, cause most likly they are ignorring me as well so who cares. I think it is rather childish to draw further attention to who is ignoring who.

I am afraid there are people who would try to get on "top" of that top ten. Please, let's not attrack them any further, IMAO we already have too many.

I am with the previous three posts here, it would be just far too tempting for the Trolls to start "a top ten annoying Trolls" competition ... And that wouldn't be a pretty sight...

Maybe the list should only be available to the users who aren't on anyone else's Ignore list... :P

Yeah, the sensible ones among you have good points. We do have a great community here. I have just gotten a little more frustrated than usual lately with the select few who seem hell-bent on ruining it.

I'm not into this idea or Inky's thread rating idea. Popularity (or unpopularity) contests here will spark flame wars and make matters a lot worse than they have ever been. Who really cares who's on who's ignore lists? Trolling members either take a hint or get banned (usually the latter) and are few and far between. I can count on one hand how many people have annoyed me enough to even use the ignore button.

I have ignored a few people over my time here, but each one has been unignored and currently have no one on my list.

Not that it matters but I think even the most annoying of people can have something worth wihile to say every now and then.

And as for trolls I try to avoid the threads where trolling looks rampant or could be taken over easily.

Just my two cents

Hmm... interesting set of responses - equally divided between the 'yah' and 'nay' camps. I too used 'ignore' very sparingly (currently 3 people), as I assume most do. I agree that a top 10 ignored list would be unnecessarily divisive (and anyways, I assume the site admins could easily compile such a list for their own consideration - come to think of it, I hope I'm not on it...). This subject only occurred to me when I considered that by ignoring an obnoxious poster they have no idea they are being ignored and therefore may be more likely to continue such conduct. OK, now I'm heading back to the usual multitude of considered and thoughtful posts...

Just to give my two cents here, we are not going to modify the Statistics page to list the Top 10 Ignored Users, even though doing so would be fairly easy. Doing so just draws attention to the people being ignored, which is exactly the opposite of what you want to do.

..Al

I guess I'd have to agree, when you put it that way.

Still, it would be nice if the "most ignored" people got some sort of PRIVATE (not advertised) notification, like an automated PM sent to their inbox saying they had been ignore-listed by XXX users.

Still, it would be nice if the "most ignored" people got some sort of PRIVATE (not advertised) notification, like an automated PM sent to their inbox saying they had been ignore-listed by XXX users.

Even that would be food for Trolls. :thumbsdown:

The only idea I have is to limit the allowed number of new posts and especially of starting a new thread (/day, week or month). And without any explaination why.

Archived