IGNORED

Reselling modded Ataris

Spirantho

Hi,

After the (relative) success of modding my PAL 7800, I was thinking....

If I were to pick up cheap 7800s, mod them myself (a good few hours work if it's going to be done properly), and then re-sell them on eBay at a reasonable mark-up (of course) - what would people think? Would this be frowned upon in the community (ooh... making money out of Ataris! Bad man!) or supported (yay! now everyone can enjoy fine quality Atari 7800 on good TVs rather than that awful attempt at an RF modulator!)?

Of course I have no idea how much a modded 7800 would sell for eBay but there's only one way to find out....

Just wondering what you all think of this plan....

Hi,

Well, there are two main mods:

1) a universal PSU! Haven`t tried this yet but it should be dead simple. Might try this on the occasional 7800 that comes up on auction without a PSU (should be cheaper too because of it)

2) composite video/audio out. I'd probably do an S-Video connection and sell it with a S-Video->Composite widget to get the best of both worlds (don`t use the widget if the TV has S-Video).

I need to work on my current modded 7800 a bit first as my 2600 games have grey banding at the top and bottom, but I reckon I can get it acceptable (it's ok at the moment but not good enough to resell really).

I`m thinking of doing the same on 2600s, too... more of them about! Incidentally, I`m not hacking the cases in any way - all the mods will be removable - nothing irreversible being done!

I could feasibly do NTSC 7800s too but shipping costs would be a little prohibitive!

a good few hours work if it's going to be done properly

That's a lot of the problem right there. It takes so long that you need to charge a high price to make it worth it, but high prices make potential buyers unhappy. Where are the Nike sweatshop workers when you need them? :)

Archived