IGNORED

SNK 40 Anniversary plug and play Neo Geo console announced

And I got rude with the duh, sorry about that. I just get fed up with the dumping on stuff like this, especially when the most important parts are 100% unknown -- guts, performance, accuracy. Even if the stick buttons could be not ideal, it has 2 external controller ports and SNK said they'd using NeoGeo CD controller style pads for it. Yes it's a more expensive way to play (than a switch, etc if you have it) but at the same time it's far less abusive than the original hardware market or the stupidity around aftermarket NGX which is a bonafide turd.

especially when the most important parts are 100% unknown -- guts, performance, accuracy.

Well, I guess it's understandable people would disagree on what the most important aspect of the system is. To me playing with actual arcade controllers is more important than accuracy. I basically can't play fighting games without a stick. Nor do I want to.

I'd rather have an arcade stick, and colors that are off, and weird sound, and maybe a couple visual glitches, than having to play with a pad. But I'm not claiming my taste is better than anyone else's. That's just how I feel.

Well, I guess it's understandable people would disagree on what the most important aspect of the system is. To me playing with actual arcade controllers is more important than accuracy. I basically can't play fighting games without a stick. Nor do I want to.

I'd rather have an arcade stick, and colors that are off, and weird sound, and maybe a couple visual glitches, than having to play with a pad. But I'm not claiming my taste is better than anyone else's. That's just how I feel.

Even if this thing had MAME level accuracy, it would be like having a crate motor installed in a car that's up on blocks. You can fire it up and it makes noise, but you're not going anywhere.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

Well I am not totally familiar with the NeoGeo CD unit and the accessories. Did not SNK make a copy of their arcade joystick that would work on it? I would think the existing AES joysticks could work or the dumpy cheaper NGX sticks. That way you could avoid going the gamepad route.

Even if this thing had MAME level accuracy, it would be like having a crate motor installed in a car that's up on blocks. You can fire it up and it makes noise, but you're not going anywhere.

And even if the controls are of high quality, it's still a dollhouse prop, not a fun way to play an arcade game in my opinion.

Even the cutest, most faithful mini replicas (which this is not, from what I've seen) are unplayable gimmicks to me.

But people seem to go ham for these, they seem to be in demand, so bully for them. I have plenty of more comfy ways to run NeoGeo games.

• Like 1

Mini consoles are the fad right now in collecting and serve the purpose of being official licensed products that offer a many games on a device that can be gifted, displayed, and fairly disposable. These consoles are just the next evolution of the flashback devices. As others have said, not my thing or way to play Neo Geo games. Pending on price I could see these doing great, but think that there will be much better ways to play the games in the long run.

• Like 1

Best way to play them other than real hardware really would either be going the legal route through the Switch ACA as it's huge already, or the sketchy route using Neo.EMU on Android and throw whatever you like at it using a wired or bluetooth controller. The whole MVS library is all of just a couple hundred MB in size or so. I took the ROM sets of the carts I own and have them on my android tablet and it's pretty handy if it's the thing around or on vacation.

Mini consoles are the fad right now in collecting and serve the purpose of being official licensed products that offer a many games on a device that can be gifted, displayed, and fairly disposable. These consoles are just the next evolution of the flashback devices. As others have said, not my thing or way to play Neo Geo games. Pending on price I could see these doing great, but think that there will be much better ways to play the games in the long run.

Yes, but at least Flashbacks and the Nintendo classics usually give you competent controls.

It's like SNK couldn't decide whether this thing is one of those novelty cabs (Namco classic on a keychain) or a legit classic edition. It'll be too expensive to be one of the novelty mini cabs, and the controls aren't good enough to qualify as a legit "classic edition".

It' not like an anniversary Neo Geo would have been hard to do. :? They should have just followed Nintendo's model. Release a small HDMI ready micro-usb powered mini Neo Geo home console and 1:1 joysticks. Forget the Neo Geo X sticks for a moment, the original Neo Geo sticks can be replicated properly:

There was one for the PS2 and later PS3

https://www.play-asia.com/neo-geo-stick-2/13/70grv

https://www.amazon.com/NEOGEO-STICK-2-USB-PS3/dp/B00292AR0A/

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

Best way to play them other than real hardware really would either be going the legal route through the Switch ACA as it's huge already, or the sketchy route using Neo.EMU on Android and throw whatever you like at it using a wired or bluetooth controller. The whole MVS library is all of just a couple hundred MB in size or so. I took the ROM sets of the carts I own and have them on my android tablet and it's pretty handy if it's the thing around or on vacation.

Surprised you wouldn't mention the old standard "best way" to play them (so standard it's laughable when mentioned).. Emulation, either on a pc or device like a raspberry pi. PC has its obvious advantages, whereas RPi is so tiny you can shove in most any form you want, either as a stand alone "console" with pads, or shoved into a mini-cade, or like many do, shove it in a barcade and provide the controls you like.

I put Sanwa sticks on this one and while it won't win any awards from any purists :lol: it plays 2-player fine enough, especially with the kids, who can then leave the real stuff alone. :)

bnlKRvp.jpg

Edited by NE146
  • Like 4

Surprised you wouldn't mention the old standard "best way" to play them (so standard it's laughable when mentioned).. Emulation, either on a pc or device like a raspberry pi. PC has its obvious advantages, whereas RPi is so tiny you can shove in most any form you want, either as a stand alone "console" with pads, or shoved into a mini-cade, or like many do, shove it in a barcade and provide the controls you like.

I put Sanwa sticks on this one and while it won't win any awards from any purists :lol: it plays 2-player fine enough, especially with the kids, who can then leave the real stuff alone. :)

bnlKRvp.jpg

That's got a properly sized control panel, you're already 50 steps ahead of SNK.

My main issue with the Pi, is I notice a bit of input lag. Stuff is still playable on a decent TV, but it's noticeable. I never experienced that with say, Final Burn Alpha or MAME on an x86 machine, or any soft modded consoles.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 3

I thought I did say emulation when mentioning Android + Neo.EMU? I just didn't go down the Pi rabbithole.

That's a solid barcade there. I have one as well in a cocktail style but it's running that iCade 60in1 setup, not Neo-Geo though it could easily have that happen screwing another board in there and running the VGA port and power supply to it. I'd have to get tools I don't have though to drill it out and add enough buttons as it's just set for 2 button games. :)

Never heard so much belly-aching. The design is cool.

I always played on a big red too, but by no means does the design need to be that.

They need to fix that button layout, or I can see myself rewiring it. It's too bad Neo Turfmasters isn't included so far, because I can see that game working with mini controls, unlike action games. You can always plugin a controller though.

The ability to buy and download more games will really put this over the top. I can see kids wanting this system, which I think could make it a winner! In that regard, the design is great.

I did not buy the Nintendo mini systems, but I will definitely buy this. Probably only because I'm a huge Neo fanboy though. I already have all the games.

Edited by DJ Clae
  • Like 1

This is a toy. Kids are gonna buy it. Not a full size barcade.

What do you mean kids? The Neo Geo was dead by 2004. No kid has any idea what a Neo Geo is (at least not in any number to market a product towards). The only people who are going to buy this are collectors.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 3

Because he's right, it's a kids toy. That's like saying no-one under the age of 18 plays 1980s-90s Nintendo games.

I do wish they did have Neo Turf Masters, but also I think League Bowling and Base Ball Stars 2 would have been solid options, they may still be as the final game list isn't published supposedly.

Because he's right, it's a kids toy. That's like saying no-one under the age of 18 plays 1980s-90s Nintendo games.

Now you're just being combative for the heck of it. This makes no sense. I shouldn't have to tell you that Real Bout , Mark of the Wolves, and Samurai Shodown are not in the same public lexicon as Mario/Zelda. :lol: No, it's not like saying "no-one under the age of 18 plays 1980s-90s Nintendo games."

Kids (CHILDREN) are NOT going to be shopping or asking for a $100+ classics console of a system they've never heard of. Even for something 10X more known to the general public, like the SNES classic. I'm pretty sure those aren't children driving all over town, going to Walmart at odd hours, and then flipping them on craigslist.

The only people who are going to be buying, actively looking for, wanting to play King of Fighters (or at least watch a tiny system run a how-to-play demo of it) in any substantial number to warrant a production run of a product, are collectors.

If this truly is a "kid's toy", then it's one for an imaginary market.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

It's a toy, it's for collectors ... but do we have a price yet? I think that will be more determinative than anything else.

I'm thinking it will go for cheap -- why else would it be so small? $80 tops is my guess, with limited (if any) mainstream/chain brick and mortar distribution. More like Super Retrocade than Nintendo Mini or AtGames Flashbacks.

• Like 1

That's got a properly sized control panel, you're already 50 steps ahead of SNK.

My main issue with the Pi, is I notice a bit of input lag. Stuff is still playable on a decent TV, but it's noticeable. I never experienced that with say, Final Burn Alpha or MAME on an x86 machine, or any soft modded consoles.

That's what made me shelve my Pi, too. Input lag is for the birds. I have a decently fast TV (one of those TCLs) but it was no go for me. I went back to my softmodded Xbox, which is plugged into the OSSC, for arcade emulation.

• Like 1

I mean, I think if this is done right, it has some potential to cross over. I can see kids wanting it if they see it. They will think the design is cool.

Where would they see it, unless collector parents bought it?

Commercials aren't going to be run for it during Saturday morning cartoons. "SNK 40th Anniversary" isn't going to excite kids. Strongly doubt it will have much of a brick and mortar retail presence outside a handful of game stores.

The most glaringly obvious part that this isn't a kids toy... Just look at the games. Samurai Shodown, Metal Slug, Shock Troopers. Those aren't exactly non-violent titles to be marketed towards children

Edited by keepdreamin