IGNORED

Colecovision OS/BIOS Mods

cx2k

Greetings,

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Does anyone know how to disable the screen timeout on the Colecovision? I know there's a hack that eliminates the start-up screen but I have a need to disable the screen timeout so that the inserted game is always on/shown.

Wouldn't think it would be too hard to do and maybe someone has already.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

John

Easiest thing is to install a pause switch.

Thanks for the feedback but that doesn't address the problem. It's not that I need to take a break from playing.

If you put a cartridge in, power on and walk away, the screen will blank after a few minutes (presumably to prevent screen burn). I need to disable that so it doesn't time out the screen image.

John

Yes, the screen will stay in the exact same state when paused as the CPU is essentially halted.

Ahhh, I see. Sorry, I should have elaborated from the start. Need this for use in a museum setting so people can walk up and just start a game. As it runs currently, people walk up, see a black screen, turn the volume up on TV, change the channel and then turn off the TV.

Need to cater to the general public, so if they can't figure out to press the reset switch, they're not going to be able to figure out that it's paused.

Thanks,

John

Just to follow up, we're trying to avoid signs as eventually it just becomes "sign world" with all the quirks of the various systems.

The Coleco definitely does time out - some carts seem to time out after about 30 seconds to a minute.

I was hoping it was a feature in the Bios that someone could fix but it very well may be in the individual carts.

John