IGNORED

Jaguar Dev. Setup

SuperDork3000

funny...i have been told that i need this:

atari jaguar

atari jaguar cd

bjl cable

cd bypass cart or protector se or battlesphere gold.

or did i miss something?

I want to start to develope jaguar games. I need:

Alpine board  

Jaguar with dev rom

Jaguar cd with dev rom

Dev manual

flash cart

computer(of course)

This is all I need right? Tell me if i'm missing something

Depends what you want to do. You can get away with a BJL Jag and cable, and a PC. Flash carts aren't much use for development, they were used much more for showing off the final product (far too slow to do anything iterative on). Standard cart dev was done on Alpines, true, but they really aren't necessary to start with.

You can start any CD with BJL /RAM-based routines, so you don't need a dev CD drive.

Maybe I just saved you some cash...dunno :-) Moral basically is to get into it on a BJL before you decide to go the whole hog with an Alpine, then realise you don't have time or don't want to do it any more.

Stone

Alpine board  

Jaguar with dev rom

Jaguar cd with dev rom

Dev manual

flash cart

computer(of course)

Depends what you want to do. You can get away with a BJL Jag and cable, and a PC. Flash carts aren't much use for development, they were used much more for showing off the final product (far too slow to do anything iterative on). Standard cart dev was done on Alpines, true, but they really aren't necessary to start with.

You can start any CD with BJL /RAM-based routines, so you don't need a dev CD drive.

Maybe I just saved you some cash...dunno :-) Moral basically is to get into it on a BJL before you decide to go the whole hog with an Alpine, then realise you don't have time or don't want to do it any more.

Stone

Cool, where can I get one of these BGL Jags?

You can mod your own, following the excellent instructions available from several different sites on the Net. Or you could give me money and a console to do it :)

Stone

Stone is right about flash cards. They're a little slow for downloading code into except for small programs. What seems fast at first can become an amazingly long load time the 20th time you load in code to try and track down a bug.

Of course, Alpines have the best facilities for doing debug work. They allow setting breakpoints and single-stepping through code, examining registers, etc.

I am told you can do some portion of these debug activities with BJL, but only if you connect to an Atari ST/TT/F030 computer. Debugging is not available on a PC.

You can mod your own, following the excellent instructions available from several different sites on the Net. Or you could give me money and a console to do it :)

Stone

If you can't do it yourself let me "officially" recommend Stone for this mod. He did mine and did a FANTASTIC job on it! THANKS STONE! ;)

Jason

Alpine board  

Jaguar with dev rom

Jaguar cd with dev rom

Dev manual

flash cart

computer(of course)

Actually you also need dev software like MAC and ALN. As others said there is more than one way to code on your own... I believe that for simple code you can get away with one of emulators and dev tools. It would be enough to at least get a clue how the dev process look like and it probably the cheapest option (especially for start). Also setting up all atari dev tools isn't so simple and Alpine has some timing problems on some PC's. I recommend DOS or Linux dev tools.

Cheers

Stone

I will take a shot at it trying to mod my own. If I fail I will get you to do it :)

Ok next question is, where do I get a BGL boot rom?

BJL. It's not called a Gaguar ;-)

Find someone with an EPROM burner and get them to do it. If not I can root around and see if I have a spare anywhere here.

Stone

Ok next question is, where do I get a BGL boot rom?

BJL. It's not called a Gaguar ;-)

Find someone with an EPROM burner and get them to do it. If not I can root around and see if I have a spare anywhere here.

Stone

Cool! Let me know if you find one

Archived