IGNORED

Zip Drives for 8-Bitters

ajbufort

Hello Everyone!

Let me start out by saying that I know some of you are already thinking "Why?". There are plenty of other, better 8-bit storage solutions available. My reply is that while that is true, it is fun from a hobbyist's standpoint to explore this idea. And I am not just talking about hooking it up through some cumbersome SCSI interface, or some other piece of hardware, or whatever. I want to ask if any of you have anything to contribute on the topic of a direct USB-to-TTL interface which would allow a USB Zip drive (with appropriate custom cable) to plug directly into the SIO port of an Atari 800 machine, no PC or other parts needed whatsoever?

I understand that this a problem of several parts: (1) Constructing the USB-TTL conversion circuit, and (2) Writing the driver necessary to be able to send/retrieve data to a Zip drive. I've done some research on #1, and from what I can see, buying ready-made ICs that go most of the way, if not entirely there, should not be a problem. I am still doing research on #2.

Please lend me your thoughts, whether positive or negative, but hopefully in any case informative.

Thanks in Advance!

-Tony