IGNORED

SNES controller variants

Can anyone confirm the existence of SNES official Nintendo USA controller variants? One of mine has L and R printed on the shoulder buttons in color and my other controller has L and R not printed but etched into the plastic shoulder buttons. I opened them both up and there are a few subtle differences such as the rubber buttons under the shoulder buttons are smaller and the slots that they slide into are more accommodating. Also subtle differences in the grey plastic D-pad as well as the flat rubber pieces inside. And the words and markings inside to assist with assembly are in a larger font that includes info for both 4 tone colored buttons and USA 2 tone colored buttons. Hopefully just a later revision rather than a mixed and matched refurbished controller with possibly some not authentic parts.

The biggest difference I'm aware of are between the original controllers, and the ones released with the SNES Jr in 97.

Original has metal pins in shoulder buttons for hinge mechanism. 97 uses plastic tabs molded into the buttons themselves

Bottom half of original controller has more substantial support plastic in place for the pcb, 97 just has some simple standoffs.

Biggest difference: original has "SUPER NINTENDO" printed on the face, SNES junior has "Nintendo" which is actually embossed into the plastic.

I thought those controllers came a bit earlier than the 97 remodel. I know before that came out at some rate they had been placing those cheaper pads within the stand alone controllers sold at retail. Those boxes are the ones commonly ripped off quite nicely by pirates where it has the 3D rendered Mario from Super Mario RPG on the front and that came out pretty early in 1996.

The Super Nintendo was still over $100 in 1996. Christmas catalogs for instance show it listed at $114.99. No sign of the redesigned system anywhere, which launched in North America the next Fall for $99.99.

I got a redesigned SNES on Black Friday in Wal-Mart in about 2000, for I believe $50. Too many years have passed for me to be certain on the year, but I could open it up later and see if I stuck the receipt inside the box (Was a nationwide item, but scans of old Black Friday ads are non-existent online).

Edited by Atariboy

I thought those controllers came a bit earlier than the 97 remodel. I know before that came out at some rate they had been placing those cheaper pads within the stand alone controllers sold at retail. Those boxes are the ones commonly ripped off quite nicely by pirates where it has the 3D rendered Mario from Super Mario RPG on the front and that came out pretty early in 1996.

I bought a NOS SNES controller in the early 2000s and it had the fake smrpg graphics on it. Most damning evidence was the "made in china" decal was printed on where the original used a sticker. And you can see the outline of the original sticker printed on the box. Hallmark of copycat scanjobs.

Build quality of these copycat controllers is a step below true vintage snes, but still a step above modern clone substitutes. I posted a thread somewhere on nintendoage detailed pics but i'm too lazy to fetch it atm.

Maybe I am wrong on the year. But I def remember seeing it on sale 40 bucks with 2 controllers. I forget wehere. Probably toysrus.

Maybe a black Friday thing, but no way is the SNES going for $40 anywhere before 1998 when the N64 had really taken over in the US. I don't see a way that Nintendo would have allowed that long-term.

Edited by derFunkenstein

Maybe a black Friday thing, but no way is the SNES going for $40 anywhere before 1998 when the N64 had really taken over in the US. I don't see a way that Nintendo would have allowed that long-term.

It was not a black friday thing. It was clearance. I saw it several times for 40 bucks. Was definitely before the milenium.

It was not a black friday thing. It was clearance. I saw it several times for 40 bucks. Was definitely before the milenium.

Before the millennium is one thing, but in 1996 when it was the only system Nintendo was selling is another entirely different thing. This is what I'm taking umbrage to:

But I remember seeing it at toysrus, I think it was on clearance for 40 bucks. That was 1996 I think.

I don't think there was ever a SNES Jr. variant with two controllers included in the box though.

$40-50 towards the end of the 1990's was a possibility for a new SNES though. I know I bought one at Wal-Mart at one point towards the very end of Nintendo selling SNES systems in the US for approximately that price during Black Friday like I spoke about earlier.

But if it was pre N64 and had two controllers, it not only was the original model rather than the revision, it was also the definition of a YMMV deal. The Super Nintendo was still a big business for Nintendo with a MSRP far higher than $40, even in 1997 after the N64's launch.

So if you saw a new SNES for $40 circa 1996, it was a heck of a deal like the lucky ones that you sometimes read about online (Like those that got new Wii U's at some going out of business Sears locations a year or two into its life for $60 on clearance).

Edited by Atariboy