IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

all carts support adding sio connector, the only difference is that the older ones (all that have green pcbs? not 100% sure) will have it more recessed so plugging the cable will be probably a bit harder, i need to test that (on the other hand they do not require hacking the shell if you're okay with removing the cart from the shell when you want to plug the cable)

i slightly moved the connector later although it probably should've go even further out, hopefully one day i'll learn do things right on the second try ;-)

• Like 1

currently i only plan eventually releasing a firmware that will support sio communication via that addon cable, i'm not even promising what functionality will be gradually added, this was basically just a test to see whether there's no issue preventing it from working altogether (and whether there's any interest in this functionality)

so for now it's unofficial and diy mod

• Like 1

avgsio.jpg

6 pin jst connectors, 1.25mm pitch (ebay/aliexpress are full of them, including some crimped cables although majority of them is quite short), the one on pcb is 90deg

molex picoblade should work too

red pcb is the one from the video, black pcb has connector flipped to the other side so pcb fits into unmodified shell, green pcbs have the connector flush with the edge so no need for a flip

white and red are connected together

if you decide to mod the shell, expect pain and tears, those polish shells are pure crap, they warp once you screw them together so nothing lines up with anything anymore, you have been warned

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, tmp said:

6 pin jst connectors, 1.25mm pitch (ebay/aliexpress are full of them, including some crimped cables although majority of them is quite short), the one on pcb is 90deg

https://www.ebay.de/itm/JST-GH-1-25-mm-6-Pin-Stecker-90-Buchse-ca-15-cm-Kabel/123148319870

Does this look OK?

I put that on FarceBook and Twatter, I thought it was worth a wider audience... LOTS of interest :D

Having a cart load a tape (and maybe even Turbo2000 tapes) would be incredible! You'd literally cover every software media available in a single device. That's like the first question every new user asks, "what device loads everything?"

2 hours ago, tmp said:

if you order connectors from china today, i'll have 2-4 weeks to get the firmware into some usable state ;-)

I ordered 20x 30cm cables from China today, you have until the beginning of June ;)

I need to start printing some SIO connectors!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

I ordered 20x 30cm cables from China today, you have until the beginning of June ;)

I need to start printing some SIO connectors!

Just did the same, but no idea what length cables are. Not listed in the description.

Guess I'll find out if and when they arrive...

Estimated between Fri. May. 15 and Fri. Jul. 10 ?

My cart has red pcb but not connector, so I need the cable plus the connector to solder in the pcb. 

OK it actually has a connector, but it close to the buttons, so I guess that one is for other purposes. 

So basically I can solder the connector in any direction or side. 

326202015142.jpg

Edited by manterola

4 hours ago, NISMOPC said:

Have you tested if this will be compatible with other SIO devices daisy-chained?

no, i haven't

1 hour ago, manterola said:

My cart has red pcb but not connector, so I need the cable plus the connector to solder in the pcb. 

OK it actually has a connector, but it close to the buttons, so I guess that one is for other purposes. 

that's jtag (for unbricking)

you can solder it any way you like but i suggest picking one of the two options given on that composite photo above so your cable will be wired correctly (as on the other 2 photos)

4 hours ago, NISMOPC said:

This is great news! Love my AVG already. This will just make it that much better.

Have you tested if this will be compatible with other SIO devices daisy-chained?

The famous diode would probably be needed for that, it can be placed in the junction with sio cable, for example.

However, in most cases (not all) you will disconnect the whole sio daisy chain to make use of the avgcart sio connector, unless you got a long cable to connect it to the back of your disk drive or something. 

2 minutes ago, manterola said:

The famous diode would probably be needed for that, it can be placed in the junction with sio cable, for example.

However, in most cases (not all) you will disconnect the whole sio daisy chain to make use of the avgcart sio connector, unless you got a long cable to connect it to the back of your disk drive or something. 

...or make a through-plug, like in the FujiNet

• Like 2

2 hours ago, manterola said:

Well,

I think the connector on your red pcb is right under the SD-card slot, its the same place on my green pcb... and I marked it for you. Ha, I am an artist - approx. 3 years old... ;-)

AVG_pcb.jpg

Hello guys

If I'm not mistaken, pins 3, 5 7 and 8 are used at the moment.  That would mean Data Input, Data Output, Command and Motor Control according to "Mapping the Atari, XL/XE version".

Two wires aren't used yet.  I'm guessing IRQ would be a good candidate for one of them.

Sincerely

Mathy

The pins used are din dout cmd and gnd. 

Pins1 and 6 shorted

Edit : my bad, the pins used are din dout cmd and mtrctrl. Mathy, as usual, you are right. Me better ?

Then there's no reason why the device won't play well on the sio chain, if you were inclined to put a female jack on your cart instead of a male and chain it with other sio devices.  The Motor control line is for tape emulation I presume, which is totally possible, but SAVES are another story entirely.  I don't think it will do saves to 'tape' without major modifications.

best,

Jeff

no you don't want that on the cart, it would be heavy and torsional, killing the avg pcb and cartridge port over time especially when plugged in. What would work is a pass through SIO dongle with take off T. With that plugged directly into the SIO port, it would ensured stress free solid SIO connection with little loss. That would be the best option.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1