IGNORED

Genesis Model 1 A/V cable w/headphone jack.

icemanxp300

Just got a lot in and the Genesis came with an A/V cable that has a headphone jack coming off it as well. I just did some testing using that cable and another cable I have that is made for a master system and only has a yellow and white.

It is weird as the cable w/the headphone jack will not output any audio unless the headphone jack is used, but when used it provides stereo audio. I even used the other cables video and just plugged the headphone jack in by itself w/out the main connector and the audio is supplied to the TV 100% by the headphone jack.

Swapping the audio and simply just adding the R audio from the headphone jack cable you can clearly hear the difference. It makes me wonder if I had a splitter and just split the audio coming out from the yw cable if that would supply the same level of sound.

Another plus to this cable is the volume adjuster for the headphone jack controls the loudness as well as the TV. Which is pretty cool as my TV even on the lowest setting is kind of loud. Using the slider I can turn it really low if needed.

post-25078-0-69362100-1525019032_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So basically someone wired in the headphone jack into the connector to provide the audio out instead of the mono audio out that is normally on the AV port? Makes sense, but then I don't like the humm and other noise from the headphone circuit on the model 1s. That's why I opted to pull the left and right audio straight off the 1034 preamp instead and route those to separate RCA jacks.

So basically someone wired in the headphone jack

No, this appears to be factory.

I don't like the humm and other noise from the headphone circuit on the model 1s.

My sound is crisp as can be. The only time I ever heard a humming sound was from using aftermarket power supplies.

post-25078-0-05140800-1525032966_thumb.jpg

Not when you run it through a high end AV system it isn't a crisp..hehe. And I'm obviously not alone in this or else there wouldn't be all the different mods to replace out the amp in the Genesis in favor of those with cleaner sound output.

My VA7 Genesis model 1 has the "grunge" sound through the mono out of the AV jack or the RF. Sounds like the audio is passed through a grunge guitar distortion effects unit.

I bought a 3rd party AV cable for Genesis that was so horrid the composite video was actually worse than the RF. I then went to Radio Shack and bought a shielded RCA coax and a 5-pin MIDI cable. From there I hacked the cables in half and made a shielded AV cable. The mono audio from the multi-out still has the grungy sound, but the composite is clean and crystal clear with my handmade shielded cable. Using the headphone jack and a shielded Radio Shack brand 1/8" to RCA stereo audio cable, set the volume slider to 5 (halfway) for clean, distortion free stereo.

Not when you run it through a high end AV system it isn't a crisp..hehe. And I'm obviously not alone in this or else there wouldn't be all the different mods to replace out the amp in the Genesis in favor of those with cleaner sound output.

I am using a 9v Radio Shack brand regulated power supply (actually10v open, 10v under load) with a quality shielded audio cable (also from Radio Shack) to a Sony stereo audio receiver connected to custom built tower speakers with Dayton audio audiophile quality reference drivers and xovers, with absolutely no distortion or hum at all on the audio feed. Also my VA7 Genesis has never been modded internally or ever been recapped, so not sure where your hum issues are coming from.

Does anyone know how to get this connector,

I have been searching ebay and can't find it. It is one the coolest cables I have ever found lol. For my set-up just running out of my CRT TV's, the sound is amazing. Now I no longer will rely on using my master system cable that is lacking the red jack.

I had no idea the headphone jack would produce better sound than the component jack.

What version genesis are you running?

va2 model 1, but also have a va3 jpn model 1 and that one is pretty clean actually. My other genesis I use from time to time is a va6 model 1. The va2 and va6 both had noise that I could hear on the receiver. Almost like I was hearing the genesis process the logic or when the video in the game would change between scenes. Recap didn't solve it on either one and it wasn't the volume slider as the noise was still audible with the slider all the way down. What did solve it was pulling line level off the 1034 directly and wiring it up to separate RCAs off the back. All the recordings I've made on my YT channel with the Genesis involved have been recorded directly off my primary one that I've had since I got it off ebay back in '98 I believe it was.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a pretty cool ideal as well. But the one in that auction looks to have the tip missing on the plug that would go into the Genesis. So you would be missing one of the channels if you use that one.

What tip?

And type genesis striker in ebay. They are all like that.

Then they've all got screwed up audio. The tip of the headphone post is missing. There should be three segments (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) for a stereo connection. There are only two segments and a black piece of plastic that betrays the absence of the third.

Maybe its not supposed to be stereo then. There are only 2 rings. But the other one tip is broken.

mono would be a tip and a sleeve (like a 2600 power plug), no rings they are just broken

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1