IGNORED

Colecovision controller question

I recently got a pair of 2600 paddles working again with a couple squirts of Radio Shack TV tuner cleaner/lubricant. Is there anything similar That can be done with a Colecovision controller to make it more responsive?

I recently got a pair of 2600 paddles working again with a couple squirts of Radio Shack TV tuner cleaner/lubricant.  Is there anything similar That can be done with a Colecovision controller to make it more responsive?

I've never had any luck repairing CV controllers. I think they're complete crap.

Oops...the orientation would be wrong - 2male+1female instead of 2female+1male ( which is my favorite ;) ). You could make that work with the addition of a female-female coupler though...but it would raise the price a bit.

A better solution would be just to hack a pair of controller extension cords. At least one of them would need to have full wiring (to connect the CV controller to). The other one would be fine with just the six strands needed by the Atari joystick. Then just splice it to the other cable.

Where does one find a Y-adapter?  It seems like a good item for the Atariage store to offer.

It some cases you don't need a Y-adapter. You can use the keypad on the 2nd controller and have an Atari joystick plugged into the 1st controller input. The 1st controller should work fine. I don't know if this works on all games, but I do this when I play Coleco games like Frenzy. This game is no good with the CV controller.

Oops...the orientation would be wrong - 2male+1female instead of 2female+1male ( which is my favorite ;) ).  You could make that work with the addition of a female-female coupler though...but it would raise the price a bit.

A better solution would be just to hack a pair of controller extension cords.  At least one of them would need to have full wiring (to connect the CV controller to).  The other one would be fine with just the six strands needed by the Atari joystick.  Then just splice it to the other cable.

Aww shit, and I just ordered one of these because CPUWIZ sent me a PM. So you're telling me it won't work unless I hack it up or have an adapter? There's ten bucks down the drain. :(

DB9 is the same type of connection (i.e. the same as serial ports on your computer). Dunno about the CV in particular, but they work with the 2600, Genesis, Master System, Atari 800, and C=64 (this I know, because I used to use one as an extension cord)

You need something that looks like this, this is a Colecovision Y cable. For the CV, you MUST make sure that all 9 pins are wired through - I have come across some that were NOT for the CV and only had 6 of the 9 pins wired. Also keep in mind that there are CV games that require the second fire button (Cosmic Avenger & Space Panic to name a few) so a regular 2600 stick will not cut it.

post-41-1054692474_thumb.jpg

I run light sandpaper between the controller contacts then use some tuner spray.  This has made my CV controllers work like new.

-Paul

I've done the same thing - works like a charm EVERY time! :D ;)

Cool, I'll have to try that. :thumbsup:

I'll try using the tuner spray .

Is there anything I should know before opening up the controller?

I've never opened a CV controller before. Do you spray it at all from the top (exterior) of the controller, or just on the inside?

While we're on the tuner spray topic; is this stuff of any use on the inards of the CV console? I was hoping to learn some trick for clearing up the bit of "static" that I see flicker onto the screen occasionally. (or maybe a little more than occasionally!)

Archived