IGNORED

5200 has won my vote

DeV0

Hi All

This should probably be in emulation but anyways,, Ive downloaded mess and have spent hours playing 5200 games. I gotta say i think this machine is awesome and would have to say i like it alot more then the 7800, why? Because the sound doesnt drive you insane!

Definately better then the coleco due to the hit/miss being better and the screen scrolling alot smoother,, Its such a pity there wasnt a PAL 5200 made. Now i know what im missing out on i might just search ebay.

Thats my rant

MESS and the VSS emulation is exactly why I started collecting again! I dug the old 5200 out of the closet, played the dozen games I still had and have been (re) hooked ever since! I now have over 50 carts and counting.

DEFINETLY better than Colecovision, thought I've never owned a 7800, so I can't speak to that.

90% of the games I own I love, and the others I still play now and again, just not as much.

Have fun!!!!!

Actually then I am second. The MESS emulator though not perfect, is by far the best (IMHO) for the 5200. Not all games work, but the ones that do work are perfect. The other emulators also require a LOT more work and programming type knowledge to run. The VSS is #2, but you REALLY have to know what you are doing.

Jum52 on the Mac seems pretty decent with most of the games I've tried... definitely a lot better than Stella! I know the 2600 is just a lot harder to emulate, but Jum52 runs very smoothly in double-pixel mode on my iBook, whereas Stella's speed is inversely proportional to the size of the window, working DOWN from a 1-to-1 pixel-to-speed ratio. :(

Playing 5200 games in emulation definitely makes me want to get a system, though! The kid who lived next door to my grandparents had one back in the day, and I thought it was cool... even though I didn't like the controllers.

Jum52 has gotten me to actually like playing Pac-Man again! I had grown to hate every variety of the game (Ms... Jr... Super... you name it), but the 5200's version is so sweet that it brought back the love.

Currently 5200 emulation is average at best.  If you've only experienced the 5200 through emulation and you love it, do yourself a favor and get the real system.  You wont regret it.

Tempest

Do you think the 5200 emulator on Dreamcast is average at best? Just a thought. I do prefer playing on one of my 3 5200's of course, but I dunno, the Dreamcast emulator seems almost perfect on the majority of the games to me.

The DC emulator is Atari800win isn't it? It seems almost spot-on , when playing on the DC on a TV set. Except that darn wrong-colors thing and some garbled sound now & then.

I'm curious about MESS and Jum now, I might download these & try 'em out soon. But as a programmer, I believe that Atari800win is VERY accurate.

But enough of this emu talk, playing the actual 5200 is much more enjoyable (as with all systems) than playing on a PC as an emu.

Yes I use Atari800Win and it works pretty well except for a few games (Pole Position and Pengo come to mind). However I've been using it to capture screenshots for my webpage and I've noticed that alot of the colors are wrong and it doesnt handle artifacting right. I guess I'm being picky, but I hate it when I know the game looks wrong.

Tempest

Currently 5200 emulation is average at best.  If you've only experienced the 5200 through emulation and you love it, do yourself a favor and get the real system.  You wont regret it.

Tempest

Advice taken, Ah well, all other $ related duties off hold for a while now (searches ebay america)

The DC emulator is Atari800win isn't it?  It seems almost spot-on , when playing on the DC on a TV set.  Except that darn wrong-colors thing and some garbled sound now & then.

What games did you encounter the garbled sounds on? The one game I recall is Gremlins but do you know of any others? I DO know it recreates the jacked up naturally distorted sounds of Kangaroo quite well :lol:

DeV0: continue that search for a real 5200 of course. But let it be said that the Dreamcast 5200 emu really is damn good so don't sell it too short ;)

By the way, I don't even consider Atari800Win because that automatically implies "playing at the pc while sitting at the desk" which to me is just too big a drawback :P

NE1 -- the very first game I played on the DC emu was Gremlins, which was disappointing because of the distorted (crap) music. I guess that is the only one I noticed, but since I had only play about 5 games, that was a 1/5 ratio.

I'm not selling the DC emu short either, it's really awesome, only equalled by the system itself. The DC emu seems much more fun and 'real' than playing at a PC monitor too -- I don't know why, maybe it's the lack of Windows tasks going on in the background, maybe it's the TV set's visual quality which fits these old games better than a high-res monitor. :ponder:

DeV0: continue that search for a real 5200 of course. But let it be said that the Dreamcast 5200 emu really is damn good so don't sell it too short ;)

Im going to try this one out, Just one question. Does this emu have the ability to use the analogue DC stick? This was my only beef with mess 32.

Thanks for all you're help and info ppl.

Archived