IGNORED

Risky Rick in Dangerous Traps (June 25th)

i tried the ntsc version of the game on my pal console last night

composite video mod + 5v video ram upgrade

board version 91162 rev D

i was unable to get past the problematic screen

i will test the french RGB scart console tonight (if i can find the scart cable. i expect that will be also non working die to it be heavily modded due to the fact that it was quite badly broken when i got it. all my consoles were non working for cheapness and repaired myself

the french console had an issue with one ofthe main system ram chips so those two chips are replaced along with every other chip if i remember,

ill post the results of that test when i have them

Dear Risky Rick users,

Please considerate to check if your modded ColecoVision is properly reassembled following the Section IV of the

ColecoVision TECHNICAL REFERENCE MANUAL

We remind you that we are not able to do any support if you don't contact us by email and

you don't follow our instructions to fix the problem.

Random issues on moded systems:

- Risky Rick works using F18a, SGM or ADAM .

- Risky Rick NOT works using F18a, SGM or ADAM.

- Risky Rick allows to pass the "before last" screen or the "last" screen.

- Risky Rick NOT allows to pass the "before last" screen or the "last" screen.

Information:

- Risky Rick ALWAYS run properly on a stock 60Hz Coleco or 50Hz CBS system or fixed system following the provided instructions.

- Risky Rick NEVER run properly on emulators, FPGA based hardware and any devices that alterate the operation of the ColecoVision system.

This game is intented to be played on a fully working CBS (50Hz) / Coleco (60Hz) ColecoVision system. ArcadeVision can't guarrantee operation on defective systems, modded systems, systems with expansion modules, unknown systems including FPGA based hardwares and emulators that may alterate your game experience. If you have any doubt, please contact us.

No warranty apply to peoples miss-using or altering the game cartridge as the problem was detected on the system side and a solution was provided.

That include unauthorised dump intended to run the game on a system that was not designed to support the game as explicitly described previously.

If after opening a case and following our instructions, a problem persist, please contact us!

Thank you.

EDIT: typo

Edited by ArcadeVision

Just a precision because it is not clear i think.

Does Stock ADAM is supported or not? or Just only Stock Colecovision? (in the context of the warranty you offer)

And the Dina System , and Spectravideo Colecovision expansion Module? (despite, i think very very few people , except me (when my SV318 was still working) , use it to play colecovision games.))

So your warranty does not apply on stock ADAM?

Just to make the thing clear for every body.

Your warranty applies only on Stock (not modified) Colecovision Console , everything else is excluded.

This statement is the correct one?

Edited by youki

i am slightly struggling to understand how come there was possibly not very much testing of the game? if it was tested on a un modified console then fair enough, in reality, the components inside the colecovision are so old i expect over 90% of the consoles that stil exists in working condition have been repaired in some fashion due to dead components. if 5v video ram replace is the issue then there is some issue, this is one of the most common machine failures.

i dont really accept the fact that its just this game that doesnt work on specific consoles modded or not. how come this has not risen its ugly head before in other games.

there is an issue with the F18a RGB board and PAL consoles but once that is removed and the vdp is replaced again (5v ram or stock it works fine). if the F18a is attached to a NTSC machine it works fine on problematic games. this is known to be an interupt detection issue on the PAL boards

if the timeings are this sensitive the game needs rewriting sureley?

for the problematic screen for example:

if player x and y coordinates are between these specified values jump to the code that exits the screen and draw the next screen. (i beleive this problem screen is the final screen of this stage?)

and not wait for some timing event to happen that may or may not occur, in my experience it does not occur :D ???

how come it loads all previous screens up to this point and not this last screen?

i am just throwing some ideas around at the moment because i dont appear to have a working (well enough) console to get past this screen

• Like 1

There are no "ADAM familly computer system" logo on this game box, instructions or cartridge.

So, like others games released in the 80s for ColecoVision, we can't garanty that it will be compatible. (but great if it work)

works on my adam stand alone

works on my f18a coleco with a little help?

works perfectly on my 100% stock coleco

now if the cant pass to level 2 is beacause a really thight timing ok but if its part of a drm its not working since people with fixed coleco have problem. finding a 100% stock working coleco today its realy hard.. vram is the most common problem on those system.. so the +5v vram is in a lot of coleco

I see a lot of hypothesis but i'll make short if some didn't read previous post.I'm not the designer of the cartrige but if you encounter this room changing problem, check how fine your console has been re-assembled, especially mass and ground connect, it maybe not the ultimate solution but i'm pretty sure it is the most frequent issue, the other possible issue is vram reading problem as vram is used for collision détection but you should have some visual corruption in this case.

About testing, we tested a lot this game, especially about vram timing problems, playing with coleco joystick too, the game runs in various events through Europe, every problem detected has been fixed, some were really inexpected but we worked to fix them...

Sorry for the long post, to make it short : please check if your coleco has been correctly re-assembled after modification and take attention to grounds.

Both of my CVs the stock one and the +5 ram upgraded one still have the RF shields in place with the ground straps from the RF modulator to ground plane at the front of the PCB and the RF shielding also contains the guard ground strap still attached from the left side of the PCB ground plane to the RF shield.

So in the case of both of mine, yes I still have all the original grounding and shielding in place and soldered in the places they came originally soldered from.

So to use your examples that you are asking for, here are the results on mine:

Both are NTSC

+5 RAM mod installed

Composite mod board installed

Rev H2 board

Never able to pass the last screen of level 1

Stock Colecovision

Rev F1 board

Once I got stuck unable to pass the 2nd to last screen on level 1. I was able to get around this by killing my character with TNT. That reloaded the screen and had me start from the top again. I was then able to get past that screen

This one always passes the last screen on level 1 and I'm able to continue onto level 2.

Which is why I think the game does some sort of check on what it is running on and either some revisions or some mods like the +5 RAM mod is triggering the game into thinking it isn't running on actual cart and CV hardware. Not true of course in my case but...yeah. It reinforces that the game has a sort of DRM as it were and it is basically being over protective in this case. I understand the reason if they have, but it is punishing some of us with legit systems that are working 100% for everything else we've used to this point.

I agree it is DRM, not the pushing of programming to the CVs limits. This conclusion is based on the demo, dumps and many modded systems all stopping at the same point for multiple customers repeatably and having virtually no other issues . The only other real issue I've seen is a single person with game startup issues. If it is the DRM and not a highly coincidental grounding issue that has affected none of the other 100+ homebrews out there, I think in future games, the DRM should be implemented as ruggedly as the game itself. Website disclaimers not withstanding, this is highly irregular compared to the other 100+ homebrews out there.

• Like 1

Is there anyone here who has purchased the game and has the +5 RAM mod done that does have the game working? I get that some with the f18a have it working, but that would seem to indicate that the f18a is actually mimicking the proper timings of the vram or at least close enough that it works.

But logically the +5 ram shouldn't matter because it might be faster ram, but it will only work as fast as the VDP sends data to it. The +5 ram doesn't fundamentally change anything in respect to how the hardware is supposed to function and again, if it were an issue, then I should see graphic issues or the game should stop at various other parts and that isn't the case.

I'm curious as to how this game was tested since apparently it won't run in ROM form on the AtariMax cartridge.

I've done game testing for Team Pixelboy and the testing was always done with ROMs in this fashion.

Dear Risky Rick users,

Please considerate to check if your modded ColecoVision is properly reassembled following the Section IV of the

ColecoVision TECHNICAL REFERENCE MANUAL

We remind you that we are not able to do any support if you don't contact us by email and

you don't follow our instructions to fix the problem.

Random issues on moded systems:

- Risky Rick works using F18a, SGM or ADAM .

- Risky Rick NOT works using F18a, SGM or ADAM.

- Risky Rick allows to pass the "before last" screen or the "last" screen.

- Risky Rick NOT allows to pass the "before last" screen or the "last" screen.

Information:

- Risky Rick ALWAYS run properly on a stock 60Hz Coleco or 50Hz CBS system or fixed system following the provided instructions.

- Risky Rick NEVER run properly on emulators, FPGA based hardware and any devices that alterate the operation of the ColecoVision system.

No warranty apply to peoples miss-using or altering the game cartridge as the problem was detected on the system side and a solution was provided.

That include unauthorised dump intended to run the game on a system that was not designed to support the game as explicitly described previously.

If after opening a case and following our instructions, a problem persist, please contact us!

Thank you.

EDIT: typo

I'm curious as to how this game was tested since apparently it won't run in ROM form on the AtariMax cartridge.

It has been tested on emulator, on real coleco with atari Max and on its final form on a real cartrige on a real coleco. Edited by usar666

And it means they have a version of the rom that does work on atarimax flash carts that would be nice if they would let someone like me or another with these issue to test if that works on our systems or produces the same results? I also find it interesting that in their testing they never encountered a CV with the +5 mod done to it or that was mentioned to be tested? It is so common I'm really quite surprised...

I also find it interesting that in their testing they never encountered a CV with the +5 mod done to it or that was mentioned to be tested? It is so common I'm really quite surprised...

I guess big part of the testing has been done in France. In France we don't have this kind of issue , as there is almost no console that have been modded.

You can check on french forums , for now , nobody has the problem. I don't know how they tested on NTSC console , but if it is like me , i have only one beta tester in U.S. , so if it works on his console .... and i think they didn't imagine that the US Scene was so different than the french one....

jus tested on a french RGB scart output machine

main board revision 91209 rev B

5v ram mod

all chips on the main board apart from the z80 replaced

i fittedstock ram chips tonight as i had robbed them it seems for something else

i could not get past the problem screen.

unfortunately i do not have any other colecovisions to try it on.

i do however have a friend with an unmodified console i could get this tested on, this will take time however, i will work on getting this done as soon as possible, hopfully the exact solution can be found eventually so we know where to focus out attentions.

.... and i think they didn't imagine that the US Scene was so different than the french one....

Really!?

You should've know by now, I mean you always wondered why there were so many MSX and SG-1000 ports here

Make sense in Europe since you guys had those systems back in the days, not in America

The market is way different between Europe and America

Now you know I guess...

It has been tested on emulator, on real coleco with atari Max and on its final form on a real cartrige on a real coleco.

Did anyone manage to capture what he said before he edited it? I've been told it said something that needs to be made public...thanks!

Really!?

You should've know by now, I mean you always wondered why there were so many MSX and SG-1000 ports here

Make sense in Europe since you guys had those systems back in the days, not in America

The market is way different between Europe and America

Now you know I guess...

I was not talking about me , i'm talking about Risky Risk Team.

The problem i have with MSX and SG1000 port is not a problem of Market... ;)