IGNORED

5200 Zaxxon-I kinda like it!

King Atari

I've been hearing bad things about the 5200 port of Zaxxon. I must say, while it's not quite as much fun as the ColecoVision port, I've become addicted to it. Background graphics are sparse, but it scrolls nicely, and I found control to be pretty good using my sidewinder.

Anyone else feel this way, or am I alone here?

If it is anything like the emulated version, Zaxxon is great. I play it on mess all the time. I've heard ppl gripe about it, why I dont know. Then again I never understood the non self centering joystick thing either.

There are very few games for the 5200 that aren't fun IMHO.

I've been hearing bad things about the 5200 port of Zaxxon. I must say, while it's not quite as much fun as the ColecoVision port, I've become addicted to it. Background graphics are sparse, but it scrolls nicely, and I found control to be pretty good using my sidewinder.

Anyone else feel this way, or am I alone here?

You're not alone. :D I think Zaxxon is one of the better games on the 5200. I like it MUCH better than the Colecovision version. I also always thought the 5200 Zaxxon graphics were pretty incredible for it's time. It looks like it could pass for a NES or SMS game to me.

I played and played the 800/5200 version of Zaxxon, and really tired to like it.

Despite the crappy Coleco scrolling the CV version is VASTLY closer to the arcade game and hence my opinion a better conversion/game.

I also find the Atari version is a bit cheap, little DLI work (which would have made a huge difference), very rough images of the guns, planes and fuel tanks compared to the CV version as I hope these screens show.

DOn't get me wrong, I'm NOT a CV fanboy -- I don't like the system very much at all, but the Zaxxon conversion to the Atari I find weak...

post-579-1054765538_thumb.jpg

post-579-1054765539_thumb.jpg

http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/atari/5200zaxxon.html

Here are my thoughts. My quest for 5200 Zaxxon took me a while; eventually I tired of the game for the same reasons that Jet Boots commented on. I'm glad you like it though -- I'm just too much of a Zaxxon perfectionist to enjoy the 5200 version much anymore.

You could always sell it to me then, I need one. ;)

I do have a 5200 Zaxxon cart if anybody is interested...

I haven't really played it much, I have a lot of other good games too that need my attention . :D

PM sent. And Cafeman, trust me I understand your motives, but I figured it didn't hurt to ask. ;)

This is one of the few games I don't like for the 5200. It's too far off from the arcade version for me.

See this is another one of those games I had growing up (the 400/800 version) that I absolutely loved. Much like the 2600 Tutankham I never played the arcade version so I never knew what it was supposed to look like. I've gotten high enough that the opening in the wall at the start of the level is only two bricks wide, I always wondered what happened when you got higher (did the wall completely close up or what?).

One thing I dislike (and I don't know if the arcade version is like this too) is that Zaxxon (the robot) is way too easy. Just sit there and fire several times quickly and he's gone. There's no challenge in defeating him.

Anyone ever play Super Zaxxon for the 400/800? Man did that suck donkey balls!

Tempest

Super Zaxxon on the Atari 8bit computers reminds me of CV Zaxxon -- it's got all the aspects of the game but with small average-looking objects and shoddy scrolling.

Yesterday I played both 16K 5200 Zaxxon and the 32K Atari 8bit version (the walls are red in the version I'm playing). The 32K version is a LOT more faithful! Missiles rise from the ground, the Zaxxon robot is far more challenging and looks just like he did in the arcade version, and you get altimeter control in the space section.

Sometimes I seem to die for no apparent reason though, in Zaxxon 5200/8bit. Overall, I do find Zaxxon 5200 fun but just too watered down and simplified from the original SEGA coin-op, and certainly not worth $50 like you see on Epay all the time!

I never was old enough to play the actual arcade version, but I had the 5200 version growing up. I could play it pretty well, better than my sisters. But having to keep pressing the fire buttons really wore out my hand. I though it was a good game. I play it every once and a while now a days.

Hey, waddaya know! I finally added a 5200 Zaxxon to my collection. I just got it tonight at -- of all places -- a church carnival. I didn't want a stuffed doll for throwing a ping pong ball into a floating styro ring, so I asked the carny if she had anything else. She then dragged a couple of bins into view, stuffed with all kinds of donated junk. It took me less than a second to spot the little stash of Atari 5200 cartridges.

"Can I take one of these?" I asked, holding up a Zaxxon in near-mint condition.

"Sure. Any of the smaller stuffed animals, or anything from the bins."

Total cost: $1 + good aim.

Then I burned another $5 to win the Star Wars Arcade cart, which I already had but picked up anyway in hopes someone here might have a James Bond 007 they'd like to trade me for it.

Ben

Hello all, First could anyone give me any ideas on where to buy some of these more obscure 5200 carts. ? Like Zaxxon, Ballblazer, etc.? Second, as to the arcade version of Zaxxon...Tempest, the boss in Zaxxon (the Robot) was HARD to beat in the arcade version. The missle would swing around making really ****** difficult to shoot down. Super Zaxxon was a bit easier though... Played both way too much at a Greyhound Bus Depot when I was younger.....

Archived