IGNORED

N64 - finally

Well after admiring the N64 and some of it's games for about 7 years I finally broke down and got one, us retrogamers are a little slow and usually cheap :)

For $50 I got the black console, 2 controllers, Vtec racing wheel and pedals and 7 games. Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Beetle Adventure Racing, Crusin World, Mario Party 3, Mario Kart64, and Mario 64.

Cruisn' is a little weak but the other six have definetely been on my wanted list for awhile after playing them at friend's houses and emulation. Now I want to get Mario Tennis and Golf, Perfect Dark, Diddy Kong Racing, Zelda, and Starfox.

Great system that I don't think get's enough credit, the games are just fun to play, not as good looking as a PSX or DC but the gameplay is really there in the good games.

That's a very nice set up for $50, the main game store chain here wants $25 just for some of those games loose (such as Mario Party and Mario 64) and even when they have a stack of 5 to 10 of the same game in the glass they never drop their prices. D'oh!

Great choice, the N64 has some great games. Try opening the door to the expansion port, if you see red you already have the expanson pak. My old N64 broke and I bought another one for $19.99 at Gamestop and it had the expansion pak already in it. The funny thing is Gamestop sells the expansion pak for $24.99, so I saved that money.

Great choice, the N64 has some great games. Try opening the door to the expansion port, if you see red you already have the expanson pak. My old N64 broke and I bought another one for $19.99 at Gamestop and it had the expansion pak already in it. The funny thing is Gamestop sells the expansion pak for $24.99, so I saved that money.

Exactly the same thing happened to me on the other side of the world. I checked all the brains to see if any where the expansion, $19.99!

Turok games are a must

007 goldeneye is a classic in its own right

Tony hawk pro sk8 1, imho better then the ps version

Why do people always rag on the Cruisn' games? I haven't actually tried the N64 versions, but they're on my list... Do old racing games just not age well, or are these bad ports or something?

Cruisn' USA always seemed like a classic to me, and I still plan on getting it regardless of the bad reviews I've seen.

--Zero

Why do people always rag on the Cruisn' games? I haven't actually tried the N64 versions, but they're on my list... Do old racing games just not age well, or are these bad ports or something?

Cruisn' USA always seemed like a classic to me, and I still plan on getting it regardless of the bad reviews I've seen.

--Zero

Cruis'n did not turn out well on N64. It is an awesome Arcade series, but the big N just couldn't get it right at home. I would recommend the San Fransisco Rush series on N64 for a better Arcade racer, these games really shine on N64, especially Rush 2049.

The first thing I noticed about Cruisn N64 was the lame backgrounds. They're stagnant or something, they don't scroll around like the Arcade version. The colors, and the sound f/x are pretty close, but seriously, its not even close to the experience of the Arcade version. Weird too, because you think Nintendo would have been able to make these games way better, especially since Cruisn' was the game shown to the public on the ULTRA 64 hardware early on, so it was in development for a long ass time.

--Zero

Not exactly ragging on it, just my opinion, I got six A quality games and Crusin plays poor in comparison to other racers, Beetle Racing for example. Might just be a bad port for the N64 as mentioned.

Cruisn' N64 isn't horrible, but it does not stack up to the Arcade version, and as mentioned, it doesn't stack up to other N64 racers. If you don't have any racers on N64, its' just my opinion, but I wouldn't recommend Cruisn' as a top priority. The N64 is a great system if you enjoy Racers, from Arcade to Simulation, its got a fantastic selection. I haven't tried Cruisn' Exotica, or World so maybe someone could give us the lowdown on how these turned out on N64?

Oesii - if that flea market ever has Mario 64 for like $10, PLEASE get it for me!  :)

you're in luck, I'm probably swing by there tomorrow :)

what do people usually want for it?

No luck finding Mario 64, apparently that's a real popular game ;)

And the selection/prices of N64 games wasn't a good as I expected, first time looking in these bins, all the sports and wrestling games were $5 but the good games had their prices at $12-16. I did pick up boxed Donkey Kong 64 and Zelda: OOT for $12 each, so that's fine by me :)

But I did get some cool things at the flea, got 4 Odyssey2 games, since I just bought a console this week and I got a 2600 heavy sixer for $2 because it was untested and dirty, hope there's life left in that old girl :D

I would recommend the San Fransisco Rush series on N64 for a better Arcade racer, these games really shine on N64, especially Rush 2049.

Well, luckily I have a Dreamcast, so it's not like I'm lacking in good racing games :D

especially since Cruisn' was the game shown to the public on the ULTRA 64 hardware early on, so it was in development for a long ass time.

I don't think the Ultra 64 arcade hardware had anything at all to do with the N64... Nintendo implied it, but as far as I know, the hardware in entirely different. I'm not sure, but I think the Ultra 64 hardware ran on a TMS34020 or something, whereas the N64 uses a MIPS R4300.

Sucks to hear that the game isn't that good... I'll probably still pick it up, but I'll wait until I find a good price. Has anyone tried Cruis'n Exotica? I've read some good reviews of that one, although stuff like driving underwater seems a little too over-the-top to me.

--Zero

Archived