IGNORED

Hyperkin gave me a Retron 77 at E3

Metal Jesus

Hey guys and gals. Hyperkin gave me a Retron '77 at E3 for review for my YouTube channel. What sort of things would you like me to test and review in that video? What questions do you have about the device? I wanted to come to the biggest Atari fans first, so let me know as my video will probably get released next week!

Retron77-min.jpg

• Like 20

Draconian and Super Cobra Arcade if you got em. IIRC those are the only CD-W games so far to be released on cart in the AA store.

If those two CDW carts don't function properly, try Space Rocks and Scramble, two of the best DPC+ games IMO.

As far as retro games go, you've got to play Pitfall II to test if the music plays correctly. Also Melody homebrew Chetiry uses a similar music engine to Pitfall II.

Chetiry and Star Castle Arcade also support flash saving of high score data to the actual game ROM itself. It would be interesting to see if the flash saves are implemented correctly. I predict if the emulator dumps the ROM prior to play then deletes it afterwords, you may see the high scores already present on the cartridge, but it won't be saved after playing.

That assumes the emulator supports these advanced Melody games at all.

• Like 3

Pitfall II: Lost Caverns is the main game I'm wondering whether or not will work, since that's my favorite 2600 game and it would probably be a deal breaker for me if the '77 won't play it. Info on the quality of the joystick would be great as well.

In any case, congrats on scoring one of those beauties early and I'll look forward to watching the review! :)

• Like 3

I immediately thought this was odd too...but I think it's to show off the cartridge artwork?!

NES and later generations always had the cartridge facing frontwards. I was a product of the "NES generation" and even though my mom never got me that Nintendo I always wanted, I lusted after the games and longingly watched my friends play at their houses. So at 21, I find a CIB NES in the garage and I'm hooked. Seriously mom, how did you buy me an NES and forget to tell me about it?

Moving on, eventually I had every Nintendo system (NES to Wii, Game Boy to DS) so in 2011 I got a Genesis, 2012 Atari VCS/2600. Wii-U and Ouya 2013. 2014 was the year of the 7800 and Turbografx. 2016 Retrousb AVS, 2017 Switch, 2018 Super NT. Recently I've become enamored with micro arcade machines which seem to be everywhere and I've got the collector bug.

I signed up for AtariAge to troubleshoot some video issues, then got enamored by the community and lively homebrew scene. What really was a head scratcher though was the cart port on the Atari facing "backwards", plugging controllers in the back, and the rear facing difficulty switches on my 4-switch woodgrain.

Do not try to over analyze it, but the first time I attempted to plug in an Atari cart, it was label facing frontwards. And it did not fit. :dunce:

Prior to Nintendo, there were no standards. Labels, controller ports, switches faced backwards. To the millenial generation, that doesn't make much sense. I get that. Every other postcrash system outside of Atari's ecosystem had carts upright label facing forwards. Well except the NES toasters! And we all know how reliable those cart slots were... :lol:

So it makes sense, if Hyperkin is catering to a post Atari generation who wants to experiment with the games of their forefathers, to place the cart slot with the label, controller ports, and difficulty switches facing forwards, like every other console since, even if it makes us "old farts" want to facepalm ourselves.

So it makes sense, if Hyperkin is catering to a post Atari generation who wants to experiment with the games of their forefathers, to place the cart slot with the label, controller ports, and difficulty switches facing forwards, like every other console since, even if it makes us "old farts" want to facepalm ourselves.

Yes, BUT it makes the end label upside down, which is a drag.

• Like 1

Nobody mentioned Kaboom!

Seriously - you need to test some paddle games and tell us if there is lag. There is always lag in Kaboom (on stuff like this) which is why I mention it first. If you can score higher on that thing than orignal hardware against the mad bomber then I will be shocked.

• Like 8

NES and later generations always had the cartridge facing frontwards. I was a product of the "NES generation" and even though my mom never got me that Nintendo I always wanted, I lusted after the games and longingly watched my friends play at their houses. So at 21, I find a CIB NES in the garage and I'm hooked. Seriously mom, how did you buy me an NES and forget to tell me about it?

Moving on, eventually I had every Nintendo system (NES to Wii, Game Boy to DS) so in 2011 I got a Genesis, 2012 Atari VCS/2600. Wii-U and Ouya 2013. 2014 was the year of the 7800 and Turbografx. 2016 Retrousb AVS, 2017 Switch, 2018 Super NT. Recently I've become enamored with micro arcade machines which seem to be everywhere and I've got the collector bug.

I signed up for AtariAge to troubleshoot some video issues, then got enamored by the community and lively homebrew scene. What really was a head scratcher though was the cart port on the Atari facing "backwards", plugging controllers in the back, and the rear facing difficulty switches on my 4-switch woodgrain.

Do not try to over analyze it, but the first time I attempted to plug in an Atari cart, it was label facing frontwards. And it did not fit. :dunce:

Prior to Nintendo, there were no standards. Labels, controller ports, switches faced backwards. To the millenial generation, that doesn't make much sense. I get that. Every other postcrash system outside of Atari's ecosystem had carts upright label facing forwards. Well except the NES toasters! And we all know how reliable those cart slots were... :lol:

Technically the original NES has the same set up as Atari but the cartridge is rotated 90%. When plugged in you only see the end label. Yes you can see the art on the front of the cart but that's only because it is rotated differently.