IGNORED

Aaron the Aardvark (WIP)

atari2600land

8 hours ago, Saturn said:

As aaron eats ants to get the 20 for a free life, have him get sluggish as he progresses.

If he dies with 10 or more in his stomach, have them escape and run back into the mound.

Wow Saturn.... You have a lot of ideas. Lol I'll be contacting you soon about my new game. Whatever you're smoking on tonight that has you so creative, I'm gonna need you to do that for me too. Lol

Actually half of the stuff you suggested is pretty good and some of it I can actually see working. I think the weather conditions is a very good idea and not something one would expect from this type of game. Perhaps gusts of wind that affect the player similar to those windy levels in DKC2. Gusty Glade comes to mind.

Also definitely a mothership boss after every 4 rounds or so. First one has to be easy and then each new boss should be harder and harder to kill.

• Like 1

Added a mothership boss every 5 levels. This current build starts at it. (So I don't have to go through 4 levels. I'm impatient.) Let me know if one of the lasers gets stuck at the bottom at the end of a level. When Aaron runs into one, he dies, so it's really distracting. Especially because when it happens it goes in the middle of the screen and it's really hard to eat the bonus taco then.

Wave 5 - mothership boss shoots 3 lasers

Wave 10 - mothership boss shoots 4 lasers

Wave >14 - mothership boss shoots 5 lasers

http://www.atari2600land.com/aarontheaardvark/

Fixed a bug where if you die after the last laser beam in the boss stage, the boss ship did not go away. It does now. I also made some other graphical changes. I'm not sure why, but it looks as though I can't have more than a couple of CLUTs on screen at once. Must be due to the fact that the Jaguar's limit of # of colors on screen at once is 256? (Each background uses about 200 colors.)

http://www.atari2600land.com/aarontheaardvark/

Extended the length of the title screen song.

Learned that if you put the song to 384,000 Hz and then tell it to play using this code:

SNDZEROPLAY(3, strptr(SFX_TITLESCREEN), (strptr(SFX_TITLESCREEN_end)-strptr(SFX_TITLESCREEN)+3) and 0xfffffffc, 69252/8533, Zero_Audio_8bit_Unsigned|Zero_Audio_Looping) 

you can produce a much longer track without having to use much more room. So that's what I did. I would really love a Game Drive. Are they still available? I put the longer title screen song version in the link above.

Work today mainly focused on the ants.

• You now only need 10 ants for an extra life as opposed to the 25, which I deemed too many.
  • You can now only have a maximum of 9 lives.
  • After you get 9 lives, the anthill and ants are removed.
  • If # of lives is 8 or below, anthill and ants are shown.
  • If the ant is present during a taco, it will run its course (and you can eat the ant), but then no more ants will come out until after the taco is eaten.

For those who forgot, if you don't die and don't miss a UFO (that is, get all ten of them in one wave using just 10 shots), this will cause the bonus taco to appear.

I'm on level 24 right now. There was a mother ship on 23, I got killed and the remaining part after was ufos. Only had one left and after I killed it, it went to 24 back to 'normal'

So far anyway. The lasers are raining down so not sure how much longer I'll last. Plays great and have gotten the super taco on most levels. About 85% I guess.

Having fun with this :)