IGNORED

5200 ramblings and memories

NE146

just some misc. personal ramblings...

With all the 2600 postings here I kind of lost site of my one true favorite, and that's the 5200 supersystem. Before the web, the 5200 was the one true source of my obsessions and mystery which I think originated from the inevitable breakdown of the controllers during the height of my 5200 interest.

Yes.. I still remember pressing "start" as hard as I possibly could while sadly & forlornly staring at the Joust demo screens... aah the memories Also, 5200 carts were scarce and hard to come by where I was from. I once saw a Defender cart, passed on it (my mom said I could only choose 1), and never saw another one for sale again. I dreamed about that Defender for many years after that..

As an 11 year old kid who loved the video games, the inability to find new games combined with the inability to play the ones I had, I think led me to never have any "closure" with the 5200 as I did with other consoles..where I played the heck out of them and mastered every nuance of gameplay. The only solace I had was with Space Dungeon (thank god) as it only required the "#" key to start and required no fire buttons.. so you better believe I played that sucker to death

Of course, later as I grew older I was able to find substitute controllers and even fix up the ones I originally had (erasers work wonders on contacts). And naturally, these days I pretty much have every 5200 game I heard of as a kid, and the web offers up a ton of 5200 info I could only wonder about before. But I'm no longer 11 so... oh well

It's never too late I guess

• 2 years later...
whoowhee.. Jul 26 2001    ..Yknow this was my first post in this here forum... And for the past 2 years I think it had 8 views...until I linked to it :lol: funny stuff.  

And yeah I do like getting the same game on different systems. It's fun to compare and contrast ;)

Yeah,I admit,I didnt see it 'til you linked :) George Plimpton was my first post

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...4443&highlight=

And do you agree,certail systems have that 'feel' to it.Like some sort of emotional attachment??wierd..... :wink:

Well I meant first post in this here 5200 forum (when it had like less than a page of posts!), not my first post overall of course ;)

And yes of course I think that each has it's own definite feel. And yeah I guess to some of them it develops almost an emotional attachment (probably just nostalgia though :D). But Joust for example.. the arcade, 2600, and 5200 versions all definitely have a different gameplay feel :)