IGNORED

A 7800 Bundle sold for WHAT?!

sixersfan105

Was curious what 7800s were going for these days and find it hard to believe this bundle sold today for $180, albeit with free shipping (yippee?)...the box is beat to shit and it is untested. Incredible! Think it is the homebrew scene fueling these insane prices?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283015728268

Was curious what 7800s were going for these days and find it hard to believe this bundle sold today for $180, albeit with free shipping (yippee?)...the box is beat to shit and it is untested. Incredible! Think it is the homebrew scene fueling these insane prices?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283015728268

Just supply and demand ... a few decades ago the above would be GIVEN away at yard sales. In the late 90's I got a 7800 (still works fine) and about 20 games (more than half are 2600 games) all for free at a yard sale.

Edited by thetick1

Ebay is no indication for the buying practices of collectors within a niche hobby. All it takes is one person to not know what they are buying to pay too much, and one person to not know what they are selling to sell it for too little. And once that occurrs it skews the numbers for everyone else.

• Like 3

I believe it! And then, here is another similar bundle that sold a couple weeks ago for $46 - missing a power supply...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163086802153

That could be dead as a door nail though, hence the cheap sale price. And getting a replacement 1st party power supply on ebay isn't cheap. Most people can't figure out or don't know of the 3rd party power supply options for the 7800 so that $46 console, if it even works, is gonna need a $25 to $40 purchase of a power supply to even use it in the base case scenario.

• Like 1

That could be dead as a door nail though, hence the cheap sale price. And getting a replacement 1st party power supply on ebay isn't cheap. Most people can't figure out or don't know of the 3rd party power supply options for the 7800 so that $46 console, if it even works, is gonna need a $25 to $40 purchase of a power supply to even use it in the base case scenario.

Still way better than $180!

Ebay is no indication for the buying practices of collectors within a niche hobby. All it takes is one person to not know what they are buying to pay too much, and one person to not know what they are selling to sell it for too little. And once that occurrs it skews the numbers for everyone else.

Eh.....kinda sorta true IF you have an item that truly only comes up once in a while (so there aren't many sold records), or you only look at averages. But that's not really the case for 7800s, they sell frequently so it's pretty easy (listing differences aside, like the ps) to see what a wide market of people value it at. I'd say people could more easily make the pay too much/underprice mistake at a tag sale, on either side.

• Like 1

Was going to say it could also have been shill bidding and not legit to begin with. Though some of you scoff at them, I would say you can get some okay deals on 7800s and other systems from Shopgoodwill.com. The shipping can sometimes be all over the place, but for the past several months most items have shipped for about $12 - $15 so that is about on part with what it cost for me to send stuff. And to be honest, I haven't found another seller or vendor online that packs things better than shopgoodwill does. Seriously, I just received two Genesis model 1s yesterday and they were bubbled wrapped together as if they were designed to survive a halo drop!

Was going to say it could also have been shill bidding and not legit to begin with. Though some of you scoff at them, I would say you can get some okay deals on 7800s and other systems from Shopgoodwill.com. The shipping can sometimes be all over the place, but for the past several months most items have shipped for about $12 - $15 so that is about on part with what it cost for me to send stuff. And to be honest, I haven't found another seller or vendor online that packs things better than shopgoodwill does. Seriously, I just received two Genesis model 1s yesterday and they were bubbled wrapped together as if they were designed to survive a halo drop!

I agree 100% about shopgoodwill!

2600, 7800, and lynx supplies all had the same brittle wires that break internally at the brick, and you can't service them because the brick is epoxied shut. All cheaply replaceable except 7800.

Oh, wait...

atariguide.com

Edit: site isn't loading, but they used to sell very nice replacement adapters. :sad:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170131191712/http://www.atariguide.com:80/store/products.htm#OACCESS

I think shopgoodwill is great. Just recently, it offered a 2600 lot with a bunch of boxed Sears games including a Sears Superman! I bid on it, but because I didnt know if it was a picture cart or not, I didnt push it. Still, would love to have seen that cart!

• Like 2

One disadvantage to shopgoodwill though is they only sell in lots, ie you might get four "untested" n64s in a bundle. More usefull for resellers than joe blow gamer.

They do not always sell in lots, though. Often, they will only sell one console together with a handful of games to make up a quality bundle. Sometimes, they even bother plugging in the console to test for power :)

They do not always sell in lots, though. Often, they will only sell one console together with a handful of games to make up a quality bundle. Sometimes, they even bother plugging in the console to test for power :)

This..

and in my case, I'm okay with winning an auction for a couple of systems bundled together because I can always use parts! Or..test them and any that work I can trade in to my local game shop for credit towards others stuff I would rather want and get more for credit than I did with the console.

Those 2 genesis 1 systems only set me back a winning big of $11 and the shipping was like $10 plus their $2 handling fee. So $23 for two decent model 1 Genesis systems shipped? I'm very okay with that.

Now granted there are other times where stuff gets crazy outrageous and I just shake my head. But the point is, that Ebay isn't the only source for decent stuff and in my case, the stuff I've gotten from shopgoodwill has been in good shape and working.

• Like 1

This..

and in my case, I'm okay with winning an auction for a couple of systems bundled together because I can always use parts! Or..test them and any that work I can trade in to my local game shop for credit towards others stuff I would rather want and get more for credit than I did with the console.

Those 2 genesis 1 systems only set me back a winning big of $11 and the shipping was like $10 plus their $2 handling fee. So $23 for two decent model 1 Genesis systems shipped? I'm very okay with that.

Now granted there are other times where stuff gets crazy outrageous and I just shake my head. But the point is, that Ebay isn't the only source for decent stuff and in my case, the stuff I've gotten from shopgoodwill has been in good shape and working.

Yeah I totally agree with you. I have even asked questions from time to time on shopgoodwill and I have found their customer service to be halfway decent, too.

Yeah..I too was watching it...it sat at a very low price, but I knew that with the nice label ghostbusters and that crazy climber in there it wouldn't sit that low for long. Actually it isn't overpriced considering the games that are in that lot.

Yeah..I too was watching it...it sat at a very low price, but I knew that with the nice label ghostbusters and that crazy climber in there it wouldn't sit that low for long. Actually it isn't overpriced considering the games that are in that lot.

I get that there are some decent games in there, but $250 inclusive of shipping? Seems like overkill.