IGNORED

Fear of the Dark (Atari 2600)

MemberAtarian

#Update - 2018.08.23.

The game is nearly finished, I'm waiting for some brave gamers who could search for bugs. ;)

So basically, there are two modes, one is called campaign and one is survival. The campaign has fixed, more detailed levels and has a specific goal. In this case, the game counts the number of death, so at the end you will see how many lives you wasted for getting the treasure. :)

After you beat the campaign, the game changes to survival mode automatically. In that mode, you have to wait a lot before you can play, because the CPU generates the stage, simulates if it is beatable and then, it places the bat. Yeah, I wanted to put there more possibilities, but I just ran out of space. And I mean, I rewrote most part of the code and the music is compressed to the limits, but I don't have any place left for calculations. In this mode, the game counts the rooms you completed without dying.

You can see the footage here, but it's really spoiling the fun of the campaign mode, because most of the rooms have specific rules those take time to figure out.

----------------------

Sometimes you have to start over. :) I rethought the idea of Gloria and created the very fist steps for my new game. You are a young girl in a dark cave, with only your torch lightening the cave. You will have infinite number of torches, so you can throw them and see whats ahead, but beware, that time, you won't see yourself! Of course there are no games without hazards, there will be an invulnerable demon chasing you, waterdrops to kill the fire, some animals in the cave.

If things goes will, there will be 30 static rooms and a randomizer.

And you are listening to Iron Maiden while playing. Stay tuned. :)

FearoftheDark0.15_NTSC.bas.bin

FearoftheDark0.20_NTSC.bas.bin

FearoftheDark0.64_NTSC.bas.bin

FearoftheDark0.65_PAL60.bas.bin

Edited by MemberAtarian
  • Like 16

How much of a song/album can you put on a cartridge? Atari plays Maiden, Priest, Ozzy, GnR, Queen...

Unfortunately, even if I just use some part of the songs and use some tricks to to make the code in BB shorter, this song takes up 2 banks. So if I calculate with one title picture, three songs are max.

Awesome. Which heavy metal song will inspire the next game? I bet you're onto something here. Maybe Electric Eye by Judas Priest?

My next game will be a port, if things go well, so it won't have music. :D (i will need the channels) To be fair, I'm mostly into slavonic pagan folk metal bands, chinese folk metal and irish folk punk. :D But there will be a really short part of Hallowed by thy name as you die.

• Like 1

naah, the AD&D I was refferring to (Intellivision version) does have very very little of RPG's. It's more an action game.

Oh, you meant Cloudy Mountain? I reviewed that game back in the day, it had only little RPG elements and most of them were strangely made. :) But yeah, that was all about caves and arrows. :)

Okay, should this be a sequel or a prequel? :D

Technically the other one never got to the completed stage - but had awesome artwork for the label and manual. I'm listing it as Fear of the Dark 2018 on the "List" as of now until any changes are made to the title.

Technically the other one never got to the completed stage - but had awesome artwork for the label and manual. I'm listing it as Fear of the Dark 2018 on the "List" as of now until any changes are made to the title.

Yeah, I did not know about that title. Originally, I wanted to do a port of Alone in the Dark, but now it seems a bit hard even if I do a 2D game, but the Iron Maiden cover was already planned for that.

Looks very promising MemberAtarian, great aesthetic! I usually get super frustrated by 'in the dark' levels of games because the enemies come out of nowhere and destroy you but I'm always willing to give them a try! Looking forward to watching this one develop and playing it on ZeroPage Homebrew!

Added two track segments:

-Hallowed be they name (death)

-Wasted years (title)

I made the torchlight so you can see the enemy without flicker if you are not present. The enemy is following you in y coordinate if he is out sight. :D So now you can die. :D

Problem: Scanline number, as always. There is just too much pfread again to calculate positions.

• Like 2

I upload a first playable version with 3 stages to try out.

This is how you play:

-You jump by pressing up. If there is nothing in your way, you move a bit forward as well.

-To grab the platform above you, press fire, to climb up, press up, to fall back, press down.

-To throw the torch, press fire and hold it down. To throw it, move the crosshair to the desired position and release fire. If you release fire while the crosshair is on your body, you cancel the operation.

-If you fall from too high, you take damage.

-If you press down, you duck and heal yourself slowly.

-The Demon is faster if you cannot see him. Be careful, if the light goes out, it can get really close in no time!

So, now I'm gonna work on addig everyone's favorite enemy: The bats. :D

FearoftheDark0.15_NTSC.bas.bin

• Like 4

Regarding music and ROM space, the “Atari Sings Mappy” thread link in my signature was my TIA test 3 years ago.

Way better than I thought it would be.

((So glad I got to help with the 3-channel music Champ Games Mappy and sound effects!))

I do not know assembly or C, but I know “batari Basic”.

The first code of TIA Mappy main tune, with 8 number data for every Volume, Channel, Frequency and Duration was over 8,000 bytes for the 1 min 18 sec song.

I kept thinking king of ways to optimize the data and put most of it in that thread linked in my signature. I just made up ways to shrink the repeated data. I never did anything like that before.

It ended up using 800 bytes without dropping anything. Nice having it 10 times smaller!

Even at the end I figured I could save around 100 more bytes if I used 1 Byte to hold 2 values, but I never recoded that in the song.

Not intending to use your thread for this TIA Mappy tune, but I wanted an easy way to show you and hopefully help you learn while making your interesting games!

(I had just watched Aliens and Alien when I found your horror game that could be compressed and expanded into a fantastic fun horror game people would pay to own! I really see that much potential!)

Regarding music and ROM space, the “Atari Sings Mappy” thread link in my signature was my TIA test 3 years ago.

Way better than I thought it would be.

((So glad I got to help with the 3-channel music Champ Games Mappy and sound effects!))

I do not know assembly or C, but I know “batari Basic”.

The first code of TIA Mappy main tune, with 8 number data for every Volume, Channel, Frequency and Duration was over 8,000 bytes for the 1 min 18 sec song.

I kept thinking king of ways to optimize the data and put most of it in that thread linked in my signature. I just made up ways to shrink the repeated data. I never did anything like that before.

It ended up using 800 bytes without dropping anything. Nice having it 10 times smaller!

Even at the end I figured I could save around 100 more bytes if I used 1 Byte to hold 2 values, but I never recoded that in the song.

Not intending to use your thread for this TIA Mappy tune, but I wanted an easy way to show you and hopefully help you learn while making your interesting games!

(I had just watched Aliens and Alien when I found your horror game that could be compressed and expanded into a fantastic fun horror game people would pay to own! I really see that much potential!)

Yeah, the song sounds amazing. :) The original code in BB is taking really horrible amount of space, I found out that if the volume is 0, the F and C should be 0 as well, so I save 2 bytes instead of wasting 3 for silence.

The interesting part is the way you made flags, I never tought of it before. I mostly use V=8 for high and V=6 for bass channel, and 2, if the tone is repeated, so a little fade-out would make it more like the original. I could make it maybe work like if the value of F is 0, then V is zero, else if the value is same that before, V=2, else 8 (or 6), and I never change the C on-fly (pure has most of the right tones), so it could save place as well.

-Ducking makes you heal yourself, but if you hold the fire button, instead of healing, you make a flare to see the whole screen and the location of the Demon.

-Bats added (max. one per screen)

-The second number represents your trials, so you don't have to start over if you die. With "Survivor" mode, it will count the rooms you completed.

-In some rooms, you have to jump and crush the platform under you. Sometimes it falls even under your weight.

FearoftheDark0.20_NTSC.bas.bin

• Like 1

I was sorry that no one ever picked that up to work on it! Brian O was a great guy and did terrific artwork and he was really dedicated to figuring out as much as a non-coder could to make the game developable. And he did terrific box art for all kinds of projects. Is he still around?

• Like 2

I was sorry that no one ever picked that up to work on it! Brian O was a great guy and did terrific artwork and he was really dedicated to figuring out as much as a non-coder could to make the game developable. And he did terrific box art for all kinds of projects. Is he still around?

I'm a non-coder as well, I'm originally a social worker in my personal life. :D

Unfortunately, I don't know about Brian, he made that homebrew so long now that I didn't know that it existed. :o

Hey man, thanks for the kind words! I was surprised when I saw this thread. I had completely forgotten about that game. My first post on AA!

I still lurk often, but work and real life has kept me from getting involved in any projects. Maybe one day :)

PS -- This Fear of the Dark game looks great! Nice work, MemberAtarian!

• Like 1

Thanks, I'm working on putting some code to vsync, so it won't have nudging. :)

Call be just Member, I use this name because Member was already taken. :D

Hey man, thanks for the kind words! I was surprised when I saw this thread. I had completely forgotten about that game. My first post on AA!

I still lurk often, but work and real life has kept me from getting involved in any projects. Maybe one day :)

PS -- This Fear of the Dark game looks great! Nice work, MemberAtarian!

• Like 1