IGNORED

video games that turned out worse on more powerful hardware

Way better than the arcade. Up up down down left right left right B A start. Can't do that in the arcade.

Believe it or not, the code actually worked on the arcade version. The first I even learned of the code was from a helpful 7-11 clerk where they had a few cabinets set up.

I think it was a dedicatd Contra machine, but that was a long time ago. I just remember playing the hell out of it for a quarter.

• Like 1

Believe it or not, the code actually worked on the arcade version. The first I even learned of the code was from a helpful 7-11 clerk where they had a few cabinets set up.

I think it was a dedicatd Contra machine, but that was a long time ago. I just remember playing the hell out of it for a quarter.

Sure it wasn't a PlayChoice 10?

• Like 1

Ugh I hated that 5min timer put to each quarter as it was a menace. It seemed pretty unfair, but I guess it also made sense. They basically were the NES games in most cases with just minor changes so they knew some would come from home and monopolize it, and in other cases it was basically like a paid store demo kiosk to peddle other titles.

There was no timer on the one I played. Maybe it was an early edition, or something. Anyway, it wats the best use of quarters I ever got out of an arcade game. :grin:

I only played late at night, after work, so it was usually open.

Anyway, I didn't mean to derail the thread.

There might be an option for the arcade owner to disable the timer or increase the duration.

Edited by mbd30

That's why I don't tolerate Crash games, or any game that is 3rd person that commonly runs towards the screen so you have to basically memorize the stages or die as you have little time to react to what is coming at you. They're still kind of annoying going away too by design, but into is a deal breaker.

I'd like to get the Spyro one, but for some screwball reason no talk on a Switch version yet unlike Crash so I have no interest.

Archon on the NES wasn't as fun as the C64 or Atari versions. Spy vs Spy too and it didn't have that captivating sound trek.

Hardware limitaitons aside a paradigm shift from creative programming to overworked was likely responsible; showed through in a lot of the NES games.

• Like 2

Honestly I think a lot of NES games were worse than their computer counterparts (the Bards Tale and later Ultima games come to mind), but I don't know if that counts. Is the C64 more or less powerful than the NES? What about the Apple IIe?

Honestly I think a lot of NES games were worse than their computer counterparts (the Bards Tale and later Ultima games come to mind), but I don't know if that counts. Is the C64 more or less powerful than the NES? What about the Apple IIe?

It depends on what you are looking at. When it comes to CPU, the NES is faster (1.79MHz 6502) than either (1.02MHz 6502/6510). Graphically, the NES is superior except when it comes to displaying text and high resolution graphics. Sound wise, the Apple II is very crude against the NES but the C64 has a more flexible sound chip but fewer channels.

When it comes to RAM, the Commodore 64(KB) and especially the Apple IIe (64-128KB typically) have the NES (2KB CPU + 2KB Video) beat on paper. But most of that RAM in those computers is used for loading code and graphics from tapes or floppies. Officially, any piece of NES or Famicom software must come with at least 8K for program code +8K of graphics tiles, but 64KB or 128KB ROMs are nothing for the NES. Some NES games add extra program RAM (8K usually) on their cartridges and a few add extra video RAM.

But tapes and floppies are far cheaper to produce than ROM chips. Ultima 4 came on 4 disk sides on the A2 and C64, giving that game access to 572-680KB of storage. Ultima 5 came on 8 disk sides, so double that. Bard's Tale 1 came on three disk sides, so that's up to 429-510KB of storage. The ROMs for Ultima 4-5 on the NES are only 256KB and Bard's Tale is 128KB (plus 8KB for battery backed saves). Something has to be cut for those games. Ultima 3 was only on two disk sides, so it was able to make the transition essentially intact.

Edited by Great Hierophant

It depends on what you are looking at. When it comes to CPU, the NES is faster (1.79MHz 6502) than either (1.02MHz 6502/6510). Graphically, the NES is superior except when it comes to displaying text and high resolution graphics. Sound wise, the Apple II is very crude against the NES but the C64 has a more flexible sound chip but fewer channels.

When it comes to RAM, the Commodore 64(KB) and especially the Apple IIe (64-128KB typically) have the NES (2KB CPU + 2KB Video) beat on paper. But most of that RAM in those computers is used for loading code and graphics from tapes or floppies. Officially, any piece of NES or Famicom software must come with at least 8K for program code +8K of graphics tiles, but 64KB or 128KB ROMs are nothing for the NES. Some NES games add extra program RAM (8K usually) on their cartridges and a few add extra video RAM.

But tapes and floppies are far cheaper to produce than ROM chips. Ultima 4 came on 4 disk sides on the A2 and C64, giving that game access to 572-680KB of storage. Ultima 5 came on 8 disk sides, so double that. Bard's Tale 1 came on three disk sides, so that's up to 429-510KB of storage. The ROMs for Ultima 4-5 on the NES are only 256KB and Bard's Tale is 128KB (plus 8KB for battery backed saves). Something has to be cut for those games. Ultima 3 was only on two disk sides, so it was able to make the transition essentially intact.

Yeah. NES would be better for action games while the C64 would have the advantage when it comes to bigger games such as long RPGs.

Actually, All-Stars is literally just the 8-bit NES coding running on 16-bit hardware but with minor updates to the gamefile to fix a few bugs and glitches from the NES versions.

What if you prefer the music and 8-bit sprites of the original? I absolutely agree that the originals are superior, if for the look alone.

Well then that would be a matter of taste, not something solid where it did turn out worse. Some people prefer the 8bit visuals and audio of the NES over the SNES, and that's fine, but they don't really as games turn out worse for it as it's aethetics vs something actually being broken in the conversion or made worse by choice.

• Like 2

Nice to see Amiga:Wizball, ST:Star Raiders and Moon Patrol mentioned on here.

I would add:

Platoon on NES and the ST, neither a patch on the C64 version.

Myth aka Conan on the NES..Give me the C64 version any day.

Bionic Commando and Operation Wolf on the Amiga, both looked far better than the workman like C64 versions, but lacked the C64 versions playability.

Powermonger on the Mega CD. .despite having a faster CPU. .game ran slower than the cartridge version on the stock Megadrive.

Didn't Jaguar Pitfall:Mayan Adventure run at 30 FPS compared to 60 FPS on the Megadrive? .

• Like 1