IGNORED

We need chocolates in the shape of old consoles

Why isn't this a thing? Doesn't even have to be life-sized or Flashback-sized.

The rectangular shapes in particular would be perfectly suited to chocolate molds.

I'd really like:

Intellivision

Colecovision

Sega Master System

Sega Genesis

NES and SNES would be wonderful "chunky" or with fillings inside

I would buy them all and eat them in one sitting.

Is it practical to 3D print chocolate molds?

• Like 4

After a bit of image search, I find several similar but not identical molds for the controllers, but none for the consoles. It means there kind of is a market for your product, but nobody yet has capitalized on it. That says crowdfunding opportunity to me.

game-console-controller-silicone-mould-b

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

no hollow shells please. its bad enough all the brainless easter bunnies we get each year. one issue with chocolates specifically is shipping them. in louisiana the temps in the summer can hit triple digits. inside the mail trucks can get 30 deg hotter than outside. your chocolates would become a sticky melty delicious mess. i wonder how people on etsy can send chocolate confections in the mail at any time of year much less summer... :sad:

no hollow shells please. ond issue with chocolates specifically is shipping them. in louisiana the temps in the summer can hit triple digits. inside the mail trucks can get 30 deg hotter than outside. your chocolates would become a sticky melty delicious mess. i wonder how people on etsy can send chocolate confections in the mail at any time of year much less summer... icon_frown.gif

Buy this

https://amzn.to/2uxoTs5

and you'll see -- the thing is encased in a clever insulating jelly foam. I forget if it was cold or not, but I remember being impressed at how well a job it does of keeping the weather out.

I guarantee you'll get more joy out of this purchase than your Ataribox controller.

• Like 2

I like the idea, but I also like chocolate. Can these console shaped chocolates also be actual size?

Solid would be very very large and heavy, like "go blind if you eat all this" sized. Hollow would be lame, even though console shells are hollow.

I'm thinking the way to go is to flip over a 5lb bar so you can work on the flat side, then etch a motif with a stylus

I suppose I could do this with 1oz Hershey bars right now.

Gotta go

• Like 1

Does anybody have do it yourself links for food safe molds? Maybe someone with a 3D printer could make some miniatures and use them to make the molds..

I've done similar work before. You're thinking right in using the 3D prints to produce the silicone mold. It's pretty straighforward, and barely worth of a write-up.

A few points here...

• You need to use food-grade platinum-cure silicone.
  • You'll want to use 100% PLA filiment, since it's essentially a corn oil product, and generally recognized as food safe.
  • Forget the "collection of PLA parts" idea. You'll want to design your CAD model thinking of it like a PLA mold that's going to be used to produce the silicone mold, with walls and such to contain the uncured silicone.
  • Silicone sticks to pretty much nothing other than silicone, so you don't require mold release. Just follow the instructions you get with the silicone, and you'll be able to peel it out of the PLA. Depending on the PLA mold design, you might need to work an edge to get the peeling to start.
  • Chocolate is pretty fragile - design the mold so the chocolate can be easily pulled free. (no undercuts, and a bit of draft angle would be ideal. use google if these words are foreign to you)
If you have CAD and 3D printing skills, I think the hardest part in this endeavor would be getting the chocolate tempered and wrapped.
  • Like 3