IGNORED

first c64 game:History of the world

Ranger03

it's a commentary on war and how when we fight, to protect our loved ones, sometimes in the process we become that which we hate, hence the nazi parallel

I was raised a christian, so my beliefs reflect my games. all text

the dino is meant to be the indoraptor btw

Edited by Ranger03

Sure. I always have comments, but are you asking from a game development perspective or from a coding perspective?

As far as the theme, are you looking to be biblically accurate? Is gameplay more important or is there a teaching aspect?

As far as coding, you're adventure is going to be text heavy and I think there is a better way than using prints. I think it might be better to put all of the text in a separate file and then reference it within your program. One advantage is that you could translate it to other languages much easier. I'd check out some existing professionally released text based adventures to get inspiration.

Well, unfortunately, working in the original 8-bit environment, no matter what it is, is much harder than dev environments of today. WUDSEN is a great dev environment, in Eclipse, but it's only for assembly language and you're working in BASIC. If you want to write the game for all of those systems, you're going to have subtle differences between BASIC's. So, I'd say, pick a BASIC you're familiar with. You could use a text editor to write the basic and then load it into an emulator to test it.

Yes, you could write the game in a modern language but people are going to want a modern application and a text based adventure is probably going to have little draw. Doing it for a retro system will target a group that is used to and enjoys such games but they're going to want to play it on those systems.

Now, let's talk about your theme. A tapping into the mythos of a religious theme can make for a great game. Take Darksiders, where you play one of the horseman of the apocalypse. Obviously not biblically accurate but games that try to be tend to put the teaching aspect ahead of the gameplay. If you want to teach, don't cite the bible word for word but use the spirit of the word. People will get the theme and overall message w/o being beaten over the head by the exact words. One of my favorite teaching games is Agent USA. It teaches you geography without you knowing it.