IGNORED

The want for 1080p HD (and higher).

Keatah

what am I your nanny? google monitor + system + rgb cable FFS I dont know what you have

I have a screen that takes RGB in though a DE9, I have a monitor that takes it in though 4 BNC's I have an SCART monitor, how the holy hell am I suposta tell you

again RGB was common everywhere except the USA, good luck

for a recap to those just joining in Ice has never heard of hooking a console that supports RGB from day one to an RGB monitor just cause he has never had an RGB monitor in the USA so therefore the whole last 4 generations of game machines were only designed for RF or composite as the defacto standard instead of the least common denominator

and now wants us to hook him up cause google is too hard

done with this shit .. from someone who has had a genesis hooked up to a RGB monitor since 1990 in the USA ...

Edited by Osgeld

for a recap to those just joining in Ice has never heard of hooking a console that supports RGB from day one to an RGB monitor just cause he has never had an RGB monitor in the USA so therefore the whole last 4 generations of game machines were only designed for RF or composite as the defacto standard instead of the least common denominator

Sorry Jaybird, I need to clear this up.

NO for a recap I was saying an authentic experience was not using RGB on a CRT which is what the post I quoted said! That got spiraled out of whack talking about how these systems are designed for RGB which I guess is SCART and not component.

I will admit I am NOT the most educated on all this shit. I certainly do know people connect these systems via scart. I however did not understand when people said RGB they were referring to SCART. I have always thought of RGB as red green blue, Just as I view RWY as red white yellow.

Google shows the US did not market CRT TV's w/SCART, maybe they had a few I don't know. A monitor and a CRT TV are two different things to me.

I think it's messed up to compare a market outside the US in which we didn't have access to their CRT TV's and say they were designed for us. So sure maybe these system were designed for RGB outside the US. However the systems I purchased were designed for use on USA TV's (CRT) which most (if not all) did not have a scart connection. MY connections were R/F and A/V as that is what my TV's supported and what my systems cables were.

The force is powerful with this one.

The RegGreenBlue cables you saw around since the beginning of the millenium (aka YPbPr) were a kind of component connection used for progressive and analogue HD.

RGB is another kind of component connection (not HD, no progressive with the exclusion of 240p of consoles)

All consoles from the mid 80s or so are RGB internally (because it was cheaper to have the console video path in the RGB domain and then do NTSC/PAL conversion with a color encoder chip at the end right before the plug). Many AV connectors do carry the native RGB, the fact that in US TVs mostly did not support them does not mean the consoles were not designed for it. Broadcast monitors did support them (Sony PVM/BVM). They were high quality CRT TV without a tuner to be clear.

Even in Europe Scart didn't happen in a day but TVs picked up the Scart connector AND RGB support fairly early on (France mandated it and those guys even got Scart ColecoVision and others check this out http://retrorgb.com/frenchrgbconsoles.html) and all those consoles supported it with a proper Scart cable.

In Japan RGB was supported by the JP21 cable, it looks identical to Scart but it is not wired the same way.

I personally only started using Scart connections during the PS1 era, just because before I was fine with the composite (RF was just ... bad), but as stated the SMS, Genesis, NeoGeo and others supported it already.

(actually I used my Amiga via proper Scart so, I was in RGB land way before the PS1 time, I was not into consoles much though past my 2600 days and until the PS1)

So the loss was for the US market but those consoles were all designed upfront for RGB support. Actually it got perverted once some console versions dropped support for it (as a cost cutting measure, like the SMS 2 that does not have the AV plug, or the Genesis 3 that did not connect the signals) or the usual Nintendo fuckaroo in which in US you may be getting SVideo but in EU you can get RGB but not both (GC and Wii were like that).

Check this, per each console the AV socket pinout (if it says Red, Green, Blue than that console supports RGB):

http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/gamescart.htm

[bottom of the page has links to the color encoders if you care to read the datasheets]

Here, full comparison of RGB output for the various Megadrive versions (US included):

https://medium.com/rgb-inside/comparing-native-rgb-video-quality-of-different-models-of-mega-drive-and-sega-genesis-english-e3d3703270ba

EDIT: in all fairness there are games that expect you to NOT use an RGB connection (or even SVideo) for some of their effects to make sense (transparencies, color shading/dithering).

One of the Sonic has a waterfall that is convincing only on composite as it relies on the cross-talk among the signals to generate the transparency effect (it's not the only one by the way, a popular shooter also uses 1 pixel vertically spaced lines to create shades of colors not natively supported that looks weird in pure RGB).

EDIT2: icemanxp3000 genuinely thought that the RGB everyone else was referring to was what in reality is YPbPr due to the cables plug coloring ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YPbPr) .... miscommunication, it happens.

• Like 1

Well according to this video he says the Red, Green, Blue for component cables do not actually pull the colors Red green and blue WTF! Why have Red Green Blue jacks if they are not pulling from the red, green, and blue, pins? So what the hell are the pulling from? It's technical and he won't get into that, which is what I want to know.

I know many of you fail to comprehend that people (like me) would assume on a set of wires where red, green, and blue are all video that those separate wires would be pulling those 3 colors accordingly. What are they pulling then?

So that right there is the biggest confusion I have had over why component and "RGB" are different.

My question is if I spliced a genesis a/v cable into a composite cable and had the red pin go to the red jack, the blue to blue jack, and green to green jack, and the audio to some rw jacks would that be RGB or component? If not RGB why the hell not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV9dw78Ruqw

Well according to this video he says the Red, Green, Blue for component cables do not actually pull the colors Red green and blue WTF! Why have Red Green Blue jacks if they are not pulling from the red, green, and blue, pins? So what the hell are the pulling from? It's technical and he won't get into that, which is what I want to know.

For YPbPr please read here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YPbPr

The choice of the plug colors is an "unfortunate" but convenient convention.

EDIT: and no, you cannot splice R to componentR, B to componentB and G to componentG, once you read above you'll know the reason. The other rub is that few TV accepts YPbPr and 240p signals over it which is what all consoles had in output 'till the DC and some Saturn stuff at 480i.