IGNORED

CTIA

Awch

My first 400 was a CTIA version. I never realized there was an upgrade path to GTIA. I sold it decades ago but have since collected a few systems. I've been slowly accumulating components to recreate my original setup (400, 48k ram, original 410 recorder, Rana 1000 disk drive...)

The remaining aspect that doesn't match my original system is that my 400s have the GTIA chip.

I'm wondering if it's possible to simply swap the GTIA with a CTIA and, if it is, are they available anywhere?

(I understand that this is ultimately a marketplace request, but I'd first like to assess the viability before I go looking for the chip.)

Thanks for your help,

Greg

I'm wondering if it's possible to simply swap the GTIA with a CTIA and, if it is, are they available anywhere?

Maybe "why would you want to do so" is the wrong question as it is every collector's right to strive for a system as original as possible, but if you just don't use the extra modes offered by GTIA there won't be much of a difference after the swap.

BTW, just realizing that I never checked whether my 400 actually has a GTIA in it.....

Maybe "why would you want to do so" is the wrong question as it is every collector's right to strive for a system as original as possible, but if you just don't use the extra modes offered by GTIA there won't be much of a difference after the swap.

That's a pretty reasonable question that I don't have a particular compelling answer to. It's really just for sentimental reasons. That was my first computer system and I'd like to recreate that period. The 400 is mostly just a museum piece for me (unless I need to play four player games). And yet it's surprisingly important to me to get it "right".

My daily driver is an Atari 800xl with an Ultimate 1MB, UNO Cart, SDrive 2 and a almost finished SDrive-Max.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...