IGNORED

Smoking switchbox!

candiru

I recently acquired a 4-port 5200. I knew these things were big, but I was simply not prepared for the sheer bulk of this monster. :)

It is complete except that the plug that should go from the power supply to the switchbox has been neatly snipped off. I bought the necessary plug from Radio Shack and wired it in. Unfortunately that's were my progress has stopped. Smoke began curling out of the switchbox as soon as I hooked the system up and ran power through it.

I've attached a photo of the circuit board and circled the component that burned. It doesn't appear to have damaged anything else. I'm not too experienced with repairing electronics so I was wondering if replacing this component will likely solve my problem or if there is an underlying fault that caused this piece to get hot.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

post-2354-1055016876_thumb.jpg

Funny, I had a four port switchbox smoke on me a few days ago as well. I haven't opened it yet to see what particular component fried, but it would be nice to repair it if possible, as those switchboxes aren't exactly easy to come by..

..Al

You may be right yodan. The plug I bought is the 2 part type where you buy the tip and it has 2 little prongs on the back side. Then you insert the prongs into another piece with wire leads that you attach to the power supply. (am I making any sense?)

Upon closer inspection it seems that the tip is (+) or (-) depending on which direction you plug it in. I disconnected it earlier so I don't know which way I had it hooked up when it smoked. Must be more observant from now on. Oh well, hopefully it will be set right with the new piece.

@CPUWIZ, that's weird I guess not all of them were 300 ohm input equipped. It also appears that part of my circuitry more closely resembles a log of bologna than yours. :D

The original 2N3906 PNP transistor is rated for 500mW power dissipation. The suggested replacement transistor is only rated for 350 mW. So, it might work or it might burn out, depending on how much the game console downloads the ciruitry.

It will "probably" work. But if you could find a transistor that was rated for 500 mW, then you'd know for sure.

Ben

Archived