IGNORED

A question about the TIA (Atari 2600 mod query)

liquid_sky

Pardon me for this if it has been asked time after time, but I am very hardware ignorent.

IF it was possible to freeze the TIA chip on the 2600, when it was resumed, would it miss any steps, or would it resume where it was froze at? I have always thought the atari needed a pause mod, perhaps have it take advantage of the color black and white switch.. i know you cant just turn off the TIA and turn it back on, t hat would fuck up your game.. is there ANY way to suspend instruction to the TIA chip, and then resume it as if the game has been paused without adverse effects?

If you are talking about pausing and preserving the current display, then no, this wouldn't work. For a TV to keep an image on the screen it must have a constant video signal. The processor in the 2600 generates this video signal dynamically via the TIA. Stop either the processor or the TIA then you loose the video signal and the image goes away.

If you weren't worried about loosing the display you might be able to pause the system by stopping the clock to the system as long as the stop was carefully synced with the processor.

Dan

Archived