IGNORED

Loading games on to the TI99 Flash ROM

I just built a TI99 Flash board with the Git instructions. Now I need to fill it with cartridges.

I noticed some files I downloaded of games came in two parts with one file extension G and another with C. Do I need a tool to combine them?

Next question... some games are disk based I like, but this board only handles cartridges. Is there an emulator/tool that can dump what is in memory to a cartridge format? I understand that a program that needs to write to a disk would be ruled out, but one that just loads the game... would that be do-able?

Ditto for tape games.

Also saw some BASIC games that looked interesting. Assuming some of them were made in the non-TI BASIC that allowed for compiling, can we take the compiled game and also dump to a cartridge format?

Thanks for helping this new TI user. I'm coming from other retro platforms so a bit learning curve for me. Oh, and I am keen to have some developer/programming tools on my Flash Card. Obviously TI Extended BASIC Cart. What else would work on this board?

Welcome. first you should read this - http://atariage.com/forums/topic/267055-new-to-the-group-ti-994a-faq-hardware-and-software-resources-read-first/

And to address your direct concerns, this - http://atariage.com/forums/topic/253095-flashrom-99-finalgrom-99-image-repository-532018/

As for disk image and Tape programs to cart, there are a number of tricks people have pulled off over the years using other devices like a GRAM KRACKER and an UBERGROM Cartridge. If your program can be listed in BASIC or extended BASIC then it should be able to compile to EA5 then be converted to BIN as long as it adheres to some rules regarding the compiler. I myself don't know the specifics for each case but searching the forums may turn up the info you need.

I just built a TI99 Flash board with the Git instructions. Now I need to fill it with cartridges.

I noticed some files I downloaded of games came in two parts with one file extension G and another with C. Do I need a tool to combine them?

Next question... some games are disk based I like, but this board only handles cartridges. Is there an emulator/tool that can dump what is in memory to a cartridge format? I understand that a program that needs to write to a disk would be ruled out, but one that just loads the game... would that be do-able?

Ditto for tape games.

Also saw some BASIC games that looked interesting. Assuming some of them were made in the non-TI BASIC that allowed for compiling, can we take the compiled game and also dump to a cartridge format?

Thanks for helping this new TI user. I'm coming from other retro platforms so a bit learning curve for me. Oh, and I am keen to have some developer/programming tools on my Flash Card. Obviously TI Extended BASIC Cart. What else would work on this board?

Flashrom99 will only run up to 32k ROM files..

FinalGROM99 will do the G (grom) files

I built the FlashROM99. Sorry for not stating that clearly.

OK, ran into a new problem...

I was so focused on the building the hardware that I never considered to look at the software building side. I assumed it was just a matter of downloading a BIN and flashing the ATMega, pop it in, pop in CD Card and rejoice. Just looked at the software steps and my head is spinning.... install Python (never done that).... install XDT99 (never done that)... compile/build, etc etc.. Ouch, my head hurts. lol

I'm going to look over the original thread... in the meantime... is there a baby-level tutorial on the software side. lol?

OK, got the BINS, loaded the games, built the board, flashed the HEX. Plugged it in, and the TI showed the normal boot screen. LED didn't light up. So something is very wrong. I was really beaten-down. I posted more details to the original post that announced the TI Flash 99 . But it might be so old that nobody replies. I really need help. Can anyone help me trouble shoot the issue? Thanks!

Carlos

• 2 weeks later...