IGNORED

5200 vs. Colecovision: Which was more technically advanced?

It's difficult to say... each one has some abilities that the other lacks. One thing the ColecoVision always sucked at was scrolling. Some games got it right, but most of them were really choppy when they needed to scroll.

In the end, I'd say they're pretty much equivalent from a technical standpoint, with neither having much of an advantage. hell, even their controllers are pretty much the same! In my opinion the ColecoVision has better games though. Venture and Pepper II are spectacular.

--Zero

I consider them to be equal. The 5200 has a slight edge in hardware

but fewer of the games took advantage of it. The CV seemed to have

better programmed games from the start.

I think that since this was Coleco's baby they had all there top

programmers working on it while at Atari they considered the 2600

first and the 5200 second so it didn't get the same quality until

later in its run. Most of the early 5200 games while fun are very

dissapointing graphic wise. Many look like 2600 games with a few

extra sounds and colours.

If you had to choose one I think it comes down to wheter you prefer

Pac Man or Donkey Kong. I decided to get both :D

John

Next up on the program, the Jaguar and 3D0 go head-to-head in a bare-knuckle boxing match!

We'll also have exclusive coverage of the Saturn-Playstation battle that took place earlier today!

--Zero

Next up on the program, the Jaguar and 3D0 go head-to-head in a bare-knuckle boxing match!  

We'll also have exclusive coverage of the Saturn-Playstation battle that took place earlier today!  

--Zero

Yea and Later we have the 2600 vs. the Intellvision followed by the NES taking on the SMS and the 7800 in a handcap fight.

--Zero

Yea and Later we have the 2600 vs. the Intellvision followed by the NES taking on the SMS and the 7800 in a handcap fight.

Ive only played the 5200 via emulation, i do own a coleco. I have no idea which is has better tech specs but i can say ive noticed that the coleco seems to have bad hit/miss problems, Am i dreaming? or have others noticed this? Also side scrolling games on the coleco seem jumpy in comparison. I can safely say however that i like both machines.

Archived