IGNORED

Is this the C64 attempt at AtariBlast?

Mclaneinc

Could not agree more, their prob is they used Hires mode (and possibly only that mode, TMR etc will know for sure) and its a bland mode so you just have to make it exciting to look at..

It looks to be running in multicolour character mode, at least based on the screenshots at their website, but that means some of the elements can be in high res since the C64 can mix and match in that mode.

The blandness is more likely down to 16K of ROM space in total. I'm guessing there's only the one set in use during play and perhaps a dozen characters taken up by the status bar (making another assumption that there's no other alphanumeric characters or graphics in there for other parts of the game like the titles page) that only leaves about 40 characters per stage. S'not a lot of work space for producing big graphical set pieces, the "bubble" level in one of the screenshots is probably getting through around 30 characters on it's own.

@TMR, you get the odd mention on here but its about 8 pages back by now , http://www.indieretronews.com/

S'funny, I follow the RSS feed for there and missed my own cameo!

You were deffo on there, one was about you following / doing a demo and I forget what the other was, its how I got a link to the updated blog..

As Yoda would say "Specsavers go, you must..."

And so must I, one was a Mr Kenz...

Can't find the one I was referring to but it was there, there's also a Hyperblast (something similar) article re you as well from earlier in the year..

Marbles, losing them, must be I...

Edited by Mclaneinc

What is original and what isn't, a tough one to sort out...You could have and we probably have had many threads regarding this.......Too deep for me these days, I'm up for a simpler life now..

As JBJ, as for JBJ resting, not any more, he's on these forums as you may well know, he might put a copyright claim for his nick ;)

Nice to see the real Jetboot Jack on here AKA Mr Jon Williams or Nojeee as he is on here...

Many years ago I contacted Jon (and Phillip from English software) and asked for permission to use jetbootjack as a handle and for my email and domain (now lapsed)...

As if its any of your concern, and yes for the most part I am resting ?

You raised the topic of originality, and as soon as a rational reply comes along you feign disinterest in it, kinda strange...

You raised the question of copying - an attempt at Atariblast - not I, my reply was simply that little is original and as such the point you made seems moot...

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack
  • Like 1

I'm seriously thinking of taking an extended break from some of the Atari scene, the level of utterly overly deep seriousness has become too much for me, I've always been a laugh and info guy, I've never changed but AA is becoming less 'fun' and too damn serious. The above shows it for me, I've never had issues with more than two folks on the forum and the same folks were universally known for rather daft responses and my my humour has never changed over the 30 ish years I've been on the internet and in the games / computer scene. The mention of JBJ was clearly a joke as Jon is on here, it was never a point of any inference of plagiarism or whatever you want to call it. The JBJ again refereed to Jon as he was active here, totally taken out of context.

As for the notion of me not really wanting to get in to the in's and outs of what is original and then it being swung around as me feigning interest, well I point back to the clear joke with TMR regarding not going in to it because its too long winded and as I point out AGAIN the name of the thread is "Is this a C64 attempt at Atariblast", I said it was similar, I'm not saying it IS a version of ATariblast, I've never gone down that path other than to say its similar to me.

Yet argumentative nitpicking becomes the focus of the thread...When I'm wrong I say I'm wrong, I don't expect everyone to find humour in a thread as acceptable but for goodness sake, if there's a big smiley and its obvious its fun, (I'm very very very rarely malicious by design) then have the good taste to either go along or ignore it please...

Any way, I'm off to think seriously about what I do here, I'm not sure I can be part of something where every little word is cut and dissected looking for an alternative meaning...That's just people with too much time on their hands and looking for an argument.

yeah, whatever...

Edited by Mclaneinc

I don't have time for these playing with word games, my daughter was supposed to be going to Westminster as part of a summer project on art and because of illness could not go, I then see the news and I count ourselves lucky..

I don't have time for double sided comments re the use of smilies or any of this to be perfectly honest......Its like the gambling adverts, "When the fun stops, STOP"...Its how I'm feeling re here at the mo...

Re: Mono, I browsed through the discussion on Lemon64 which concludes it is more or less a ripoff to charge 35 Euros for a game like this, buyers beware and better hope no clueless C64 user is fooled to buy it. Rather harsh words, and very much focused on audiovisual quality and that a game's value is counted in dollars per minute of gameplay you can get out of it. Indeed there are cheaper C64 cartridge games as I noted before, and perhaps 25 Euros had been a more fair price if it should be sold at all, but since it is a free market (hopefully?) everyone can price their games as desired. The lack of a downloadable demo annoys people too, plus that the developer seems previously unknown on the C64 scene.

To be honest, I'm quite glad I have never really paid much attention trying to be good at programming the C64. I always found its scene rather unforgiving and hostile, and discussions like this one only strengthens my view.

To be honest, I'm quite glad I have never really paid much attention trying to be good at programming the C64. I always found its scene rather unforgiving and hostile, and discussions like this one only strengthens my view.

That's not how I've seen the C64 community in the past; yes there's some negativity but that's true of pretty much everywhere people gather to discuss things. The demo scene can be more harsh overall since it's essentially a meritocracy, but that's not a C64-specific thing and most of the more negative feedback I've received over the years has been from the wider community at Pouet.