IGNORED

AtariProtos.com 5200 Update

Albert

RescueFractalusShot.jpgMatt Reichert (aka Tempest) has been hard at work with a massive update to his website AtariProtos.com. This time around Matt has added a large number of 5200 prototype reviews, with over 30 additions to that will sure to keep you busy for some time. Please head on over to AtariProtos.com to read about the latest additions, as well as many other 2600 and 5200 in-depth prototype reviews.

Nice work Tempest. I just read the RS Baseball section and you wrote:

"Interestingly one of the biggest bugs (that makes the computer player continuously run into the corner) is actually commented in the final source code. "

Do you have the source code or is it on the Net? It would be great to look at.

Another question. You have TumbleWeeds and Jungle River Cruise listed. Do you have access to these roms to review them?

Allan

No I don't. A friend supplied the information to me.

Another question. You have TumbleWeeds and Jungle River Cruise listed. Do you have access to these roms to review them?  

No I don't unfortunately. I put them there as future reviews for when the roms eventually get released. John Hardie has the only known Tumbleweeds prototype and has yet to release it. Hopefully John will release the rom soon so all can enjoy this rare game.

Tempest

No I don't. A friend supplied the information to me.

No I don't unfortunately. I put them there as future reviews for when the roms eventually get released. John Hardie has the only known Tumbleweeds prototype and has yet to release it. Hopefully John will release the rom soon so all can enjoy this rare game.

Tempest

Remember to keep reminding John what a brillant guy he is and how wonderful it would be if he dumped Tumbleweeds for everybody. Buying him many beers wouldn't hurt either. ;)

Maybe you could convince your friend there about posting his Baseball source code like Bob Smith did with DragonFire, assuming your friend is the original programmer.

Allan

Tempest, I wish you would but dates next to the entries, or put NEW! or Updated! sticker gifs next to the new/updated ones. It's hard to tell which ones are part of the update unless you go back & forth between pages. Just a suggestion.

But the site is very interesting; thanks for the update!

The site continuies to interest and impress. One of my favorite spots on the web. We seem to have different tastes in games. Space Dungeon has spent more time in my 5200 than any other cart and I'm a Berzerk junkie.

I loved the section on Astrochase. Does anyone remember how much hype this game recieved when it was released for the 400/800? The ads were covered with dubious awards and the designer was promoted as the god of programming. Electronic Games soiled themselves with praise for this innovative state-of-the-art shooter.

The game SUCKED!

Nice intro screen , which no one was accustomed to at the time. Excellent musical score. Notice that many of the ads and the pics shown in magazines were of the intro screen, not the actual game. This was a warning.

Then it comes time for the gameplay. What a disaster. Rudimentary float-and-shoot against Acsii-character enemies. When did the Earth become surrounded by miniature Saturn-like barriers anyway? At the higher levels the mines hit the earth within about 20 seconds, not even a chance of winning. I had this on cassette for my 800 and it wasn't worth more than a few loads.

Yeah that pretty much summed up my opinion of the game. It had a lot of potential, but man did it ever suck. Boring and hard. Not a good combo...

Thanks for the kind words, they've been in short supply lately. At least over here it appears people can stay on topic.

Tempest

Thanks for the kind words, they've been in short supply lately

I want to sincerely thank you for making the site. Not only do you provide good information, you're writing is enjoyable as well. I hope that many of the proto-hoarders and programmers out there would give you a chance to at least play their stashed away games and allow you to give them the historical write-up that they are due. Trust me, AtariProtos is going to become more and more recognized by the classic gaming crowd as time goes on.

I hope that many of the proto-hoarders and programmers out there would give you a chance to at least play their stashed away games and allow you to give them the historical write-up that they are due.

Yes me too. People often ask me why I don't have the prototype roms on my site. Sadly it's all due to legal reasons (Tempest don't wanna get sued). I'm looking into a legal way to put up the roms, but I'm not sure there is one. It's probably illegal for me to even own them... :)

Once again, thank you for the kind words. If even one person enjoys my site then all my hard work has paid off.

Tempest

I meant that I would be happy enough if said people allowed just you, the man called Tempest, to play their games so you could at the very least tell us about them. At least then we'd all have a taste of it, and the ROMs still wouldn't be available to the masses. As you continue to develop your site and more people drift over to check it out, I suspect that many people wouldn't mind if you reported on their protos as a journalist. It could even be a great way for proto sellers to boost interest in the months before they finally sell. I'm sure you wouldn't mind this either.

I wouldn't even think of distributing protos. Why even risk getting sued when the ROMs are available elsewhere? Not being a ROM distributor also might aid you with gaining the trust of the programers who you want to impress in order to accomplish the above-stated goal.

Just a note... with the exception of the real sports serious practically every single one of those proto's I have played on my Atari home computer in pirated form.

Whether it was a "developed but never released" version I could not say. Most where probably glenn the 5200 man releases cause they still had the press "*" and press "#" to set difficulty/number of players.

One neat thing about the proto web site is it reminded me how cool the 8-bit computers really were. I actually liked some of the 8-bit translations better than the arcade counterparts!!

Sites looking pumpin' Matt. Nice work. What is done is done nicely. Keep it up! It takes alot of time, we all know.

No doubt, and it's highly appreciated by many of us here. As someone else said, I'm happy to read even about some games that in all likelihood I'll never get to play.

Archived