IGNORED

Game recommendations

Phil

I finally got around to fixing my 4-port switchbox and got my 5200 and 2 controllers working. Now I need some games for it. Right now, I've got Star Raiders, Qix, and Ms. Pac-man. What games would you recommend? What do people think are the best games for the 5200?

Thanks.

--Phil

Edit: I'd like to note that I've also got both a 2600 and 7800, and around 60 games between the two of them. I'd prefer to get games that I don't already have on one of those systems.

Definitely pick up a copy of Miner 2049er

And while you're at it, You couldn't go wrong with copies of any of the Activision or Parker Brothers titles..though avoid James Bond 007 like the plague(cheap Moon Patrol rip-off).

You can purchase 5200 homebrewed games from the AtariAge store as well..

Some Top games that even if you have the 2600 versions are worth getting:

Defender

Pac-man

Berzerk

Robotron 2084

Space Dungeon

Sup pac-man repro

Pitfall II

Beamrider

Pengo

There are many others I'm forgetting about at the moment that are well worth the investment.

Miner 2049er is like the best possible platformer of that era aside from Donkey Kong itself. You should be able to snag a copy for under $10 if not cheaper.

I have always liked BallBlazer, Space Dungeon, Berzerk, Rescue on Fracalus, Joust, Q*bert, and Wizard of Wor for their extreme playability. BallBlazer, WoW and Joust are 2-player simultaneous if that interests you.

It has been said before on these forums (probably by me a few times), there aren't too many clunkers on the 5200. I suggest you stay away from the sports games, 007 James Bond, Buck Rogers. Those ones are either clunkers or so incredibly dated that they are no longer much fun.

And then there are the homebrews.... :D

I'm tempted to get a copy of Gremlins in the box..though I assume it's next to hard to find. After seeing pictures of it on Tempest's prototype site, I think it's a game that I want.

Also, two games that are pretty hard to to find are Meteorites and Bounty Bob Strikes Back.I wouldn't go for BBSB as it usually goes over $100. However, if you like Miner 2049er, then Bounty Bob is well worth the price. I'm going to get a copy of BBSB someday.

Someday for me was today. At $180 it was steep, but compared to some it was probably cheap. All I can say is that my goal of having a complete set of 5200 carts is now within my grasp, because theoretically none should be as hard to get or as expensive as that was. *fingers crossed*

I'm tempted to get a copy of Gremlins in the box..though I assume it's next to hard to find. After seeing pictures of it on Tempest's prototype site, I think it's a game that I want.

Also, two games that are pretty hard to to find are Meteorites and Bounty Bob Strikes Back.I wouldn't go for BBSB as it usually goes over $100. However, if you like Miner 2049er, then Bounty Bob is well worth the price. I'm going to get a copy of BBSB someday.

Hey Kepone,

A little known secret is that Radio Shack sells classic games (at least they did a couple of years ago.) If you look in their catalog in the stores they have Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Colecovision, Intellivision, and some other system's games. I got Gremlins from them as well as a couple of others. When I bought them I think they were about $20 a piece which isn't great for the commons but wasn't bad for Gremlins. Of course they're new in the box. There's no garantee that the box will be perfect but mine were fine.

Go check it out at your nearest Radio Shack.

Allan

A little known secret is that Radio Shack sells classic games (at least they did a couple of years ago.)  If you look in their catalog in the stores they have Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Colecovision, Intellivision, and some other system's games.

Not that I am doubting you, but I'd REALLY like to see a scan of that page if you can dig that up! That would be cool! 8)

I like Defender, Missile Command, MS Pac Man, Centipede, and Jr Pac Man (repro). Space Dungeon and Robotron 2084 with the dual controllers is also a real kick! :D

Someday for me was today. At $180 it was steep, but compared to some it was probably cheap.  All I can say is that my goal of having a complete set of 5200 carts is now within my grasp, because theoretically none should be as hard to get or as expensive as that was. *fingers crossed*

You'll come close with Meteorites.

I would first recommend getting a Trak-ball, and Centipede, Missile Command to experience a true arcade feel right at home. You can't go wrong with those.

I know you don't want games that you have on the 2600, but you know what, the 5200 versions are almost always better, and for the cheap price of most 5200 titles, you really can't go wrong. I gotta recommend these:

-Jungle Hunt

-Gyruss---awesome music, the best I've heard on the system, and better than anything the 7800 can do. Gameplay is not too shabby either

-Defender

-Robotron:2084...like the other guy said, with the Joystick coupler this rocks!

-Space Dungeon---another game that uses the coupler, and a very unique game, not to mention a 5200 exclusive(I think). Lots of shootin in this one.

-Countermeasure

-Galaxian..this one is so sweet on 5200, I actually like the sound f/x, but besides that, the gameplay is awesome and the analog stick works great with this one.

I could go on and on, the 5200 has so many great titles, the system has the best good-games-to-bad-games ratio I've seen yet. Not a whole lot of stinkers and most of the games are very common and cheap.

Thanks for all the replies! I played a little Ms. Pac-man and some Star Raiders last night (I also have the 2600 versions of both titles, but they're what I got when I got the console). 5200 Star Raiders was quite a bit of fun, and I actually liked the 5200 joysticks with it. However, I didn't like them so much in Ms. Pac-man. I also need to give Qix (the other game I got with the system) a try at some point.

I guess I'd like to get games that support 2 (or more) players simultaneously, since my brother wants to play with me. I've got Ballblazer and Joust for the 7800 (and Joust on the 2600 too), so I probably won't pick those up. What games (besides Wizard of Wor, mentioned above) support multiple players simultaneously?

Thanks again.

Uh...your not going to find many 2-player simultaneous games. Besides the ones you listed, Mario Bros. is the only other one I could think of that supports that. Oh, and some of the sports games I guess, but I don't much care for any of those, but thats just me, I know some people really like Realsports Football and Baseball.

Hey Kepone,

A little known secret is that Radio Shack sells classic games (at least they did a couple of years ago.) If you look in their catalog in the stores they have Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Colecovision, Intellivision, and some other system's games. I got Gremlins from them as well as a couple of others. When I bought them I think they were about $20 a piece which isn't great for the commons but wasn't bad for Gremlins. Of course they're new in the box. There's no garantee that the box will be perfect but mine were fine.

Go check it out at your nearest Radio Shack.

Allan

I didn't even think of that.

Hmm. Maybe I need to find a catalog.

Uh...your not going to find many 2-player simultaneous games. Besides the ones you listed, Mario Bros. is the only other one I could think of that supports that. Oh, and some of the sports games I guess, but I don't much care for any of those, but thats just me, I know some people really like Realsports Football and Baseball.

Rats. So, I've got this huge thing with 4 controller ports, but there aren't even many 2-player simultaneous games for it? That's kind of sad...but oh well. Oh, and I'm not really into sports games either (though, I am kind of fond of Realsports Volleyball on my 2600)

--Phil

These have been mentioned, but I'd recommend Pitfall 2 and Joust. They're both great games. I haven't played either with analog controls though, so I don't know how they play with most 5200 sticks. I know they work good my digital gamepads with my PC joystick adapters 8)

Also, I just want to warn you, Super Breakout is not very fun with a joystick. I'd just as soon play it on 2600. If you have a 5200 paddle controller though, then it plays pretty good.

I have found videogamecritic has a pretty good handle on game ratings:

Astrochase (First Star 1982) D

Ballblazer (Lucasfilm 1984) B+

Battlezone (Atari 1983) D

Berzerk (Atari 1983) B+

Blueprint (CBS 1982) F

Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom (Sega 1983) C-

Centipede (Atari 1982) A-

Choplifter (Atari 1984) C

Congo Bongo (Sega 1983) F

Countermeasure (Atari 1982) B

Defender (Atari 1982) B+

Dig Dug (Atari 1983) B+

Dreadnaught Factor (Activision 1984) D-

Frogger (Parker Bros 1983) C+

Frogger II: Threeedeep! (Parker Bros. 1983) A

Galaxian (Atari 1985) D+

Gorf (CBS 1983) F

Gremlins (Atari 1984) A

Haunted House II 3D (Mean Hamster 2002) C-

Joust (Atari 1983) A-

Jr. Pac-Man (Atari 1984) A

Jungle Hunt (Atari 1983) B-

Kaboom! (Activision 1983) C

Kangaroo (Atari 1983) A-

Keystone Kapers (Activision 1983) B-

Megamania (Activision 1983) B+

Miner 2049er (Big Five 1982) A

Missile Command (Atari 1982) B

Moon Patrol (Atari 1983) B

Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 1983) A

Pac-Man (Atari 1982) A-

Pitfall (Activision 1984) C-

Pitfall 2 (Activision 1984) A

Pole Position (Atari 1983) B

Popeye (Parker Bros 1983) A-

Q*bert (Parker Bros 1983) B

Qix (Atari 1982) A-

Realsports Baseball (Atari 1983) A+

Realsports Football (Atari 1982) D

Realsports Soccer (Atari 1983) D-

Realsports Tennis (Atari 1983) F

Rescue on Fractalus (LucasArts 1984) A

River Raid (Activision 1983) B+

Robotron 2084 (Atari 1983) A

Space Dungeon (Atari 1983) A

Space Invaders (Atari 1982) A-

Star Raiders (Atari 1982) C+

Star Wars Return of the Jedi Death Star Battle (Parker Bros 1983) F

Star Wars The Arcade Game (Parker Bros 1983) F

Super Breakout (Atari 1982) C+

Super Cobra (Parker Bros. 1983) F

Super Pac-Man (Atari 1984) D

Vanguard (Atari 1983) C

Wizard of Wor (CBS 1981) B-

Zone Ranger (Activision 1984) B+

People keep mentioning BallBlazer, but wasn't that just a proto on the 5200?

If not, yeah, it's great. Mario Bros is good too.

Pitfall II I think is a little to easy with the 5200 sticks, but it does have the second world which I have yet to beat. :

People keep mentioning BallBlazer, but wasn't that just a proto on the 5200?

If not, yeah, it's great.  Mario Bros is good too.

Pitfall II I think is a little to easy with the 5200 sticks, but it does have the second world which I have yet to beat. :

Ballblazer was an official release:

http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html...wareLabelID=608

Maybe you're thinking of Battlezone? I always get those two confused for some reason.

Archived